Dropped uke!

Bob Bledsoe

Reaction score
I was playing ukulele for my mom who is in the hospital. I put the uke on the top of a cabinet so it was out of the way when a nurse came in. A few minutes later my sister opened the cabinet and my uke came crashing down... Be careful where you place your ukes, folks.

Its headed to The Fretted Frog (Colin is my preferred LA luthier) and will be fixed... My nice Pono ukulele is finally "broken in".
20160304_135456.jpg

What a bummer! So nice of you to play for your mom. I wish both her and your uke speedy and full recoveries!

I was playing ukulele for my mom who is in the hospital. I put the uke on the top of a cabinet so it was out of the way when a nurse came in. A few minutes later my sister opened the cabinet and my uke came crashing down... Be careful where you place your ukes, folks.

Its headed to The Fretted Frog (Colin is my preferred LA luthier) and will be fixed... My nice Pono ukulele is finally "broken in".
View attachment 88914

Aww. Poor little guy, I don't let Kalea out of my house because y sister is scared of something like that happening.

I usually take my Flea and Fluke out as they are less susceptible to damage and mostly play my better ukes at home unless I'm playing in a concert then I'll take one of my better ones.

See.. Ukes do open up over time.

I feel for you. That happened to my cordoba mini. :(

I usually take my Flea and Fluke out as they are less susceptible to damage and mostly play my better ukes at home unless I'm playing in a concert then I'll take one of my better ones.

Thats smart. This Pono goes everywhere with me. It spends 10 days each year on Catalina island in the summer heat with 200 kids running around. Im usually really careful with it, but stuff happens I guess. I always feel like its a risk when it goes with me to Catalina - I did not feel the hospital was a risk ;-)

I do appreciate how well you are taking it. The fact you were doing something nice like playing for your mom and that happens is rather crappy. The uke can be repaired as you say............plus you got a story outta the deal. Good luck with everything and I hope your mom has a speedy recovery.

I do appreciate how well you are taking it. The fact you were doing something nice like playing for your mom and that happens is rather crappy. The uke can be repaired as you say............plus you got a story outta the deal. Good luck with everything and I hope your mom has a speedy recovery.

Thanks Dave! Yeah, stuff is just stuff. The mom situation eclipses the cracked uke... It looks like both will recover well though so all is good.

Accidents do happen, and fortunately things can usually be mended or replaced; people not so- I am happy to here your Mom is on the mend. Must have been quite a fall to do that much damage- hard hospital floor I imagine.

You're clearly a caring and good son to visit and cheer your Mom up :).

Proof of wood opening up- LOL! You also seem to have an excellent sense of humor.

Richard

I certainly hope Mom gets better quickly and uke will be repaired well !
I hate those double whammies.
Best
rc

Dang. But it's good to hear all are on the mend. Dang.

I always feel like its a risk when it goes with me to Catalina - I did not feel the hospital was a risk ;-)

My immediate response to this is that hospitals have a higher proportion of klutzes than the general population, just because we run into things and fall over more often (says the person who has sprained her ankle while standing still on a flat surface), so need medical attention more often. :p

Good luck to both of you!

Thanks for all the mom and uke well-wishes you guys!... This forum is jam packed with the nicest people.

Sorry to see your uke opened up in that manner.
Glad Mom is going home soon.
Hospitals are actually pretty dangerous.
Take it from a nurse who has received many patients from them. UGH

Is it possible to have a heal the healer or help the helper fund set up to show we would like to add something more than just words of encouragement and consolation. I have no idea what the expense of a repair is, but I would far rather help put something towards its repair than to buy you a cup of coffee and try to cheer you up.

ugh, so sorry. First, though, hope mom recovers; they're tougher to replace than ukes. Hope the pono makes it, too, of course. :)

Ouch. Great it can be fixed. The first nick is the worst, this was the worst. Good luck with repair. Take good care of your mom.

Awful, Bob. Seems like it hit just right for max damage. 😥

(Note to self: avoid Bob Bledsoe's November 2016 Marketplace ad "Gently Used Pono for Sale").

Top Bottom