What about D'addario ej99sc carbon strings?

Pier

Reaction score
In my research for fluorocarbon strings I saw this set, that I can easilly find on Amazon in Italy.

Martin, worth and other fluorocarbon strings are impossibile to find here, and I'd have to wait a week or two for a set.

I can't find topics about this set, neither YouTube videos, except one on a Tenor.

Are d'addario good uukulele strings?

not sure about the short scale carbons.
I like them on tenors, which is all I play.
On tenor's they are slightly thicker than others, giving them a little more punch than worth/oasis.

They could be different in the short scale though.
Like.. I like the martin 600's on short scale, but the tenor martins are terrible. Way too thick and high tension.

Generally speaking D'Addario makes pretty good strings.

Looking at gauges, d'addario soprano are similar to Martin, just slightly bigger, but like 0205 for the A string rather than 191.
I'm used to Aquila, that are bigger, 22 on the A.

I like the fact on my tenor. Can't comment on short scale. I also like Martin 620 for tenor on certain ukes.
Both seem to be readily available in my area from guitar stores. When I can't get worth, oasis , Southcoast ...I will use either. I have D'addario on my tenor Fluke and they sound good also.
Given you circumstance , I would give them a try. They should be fine.

I have the EJ99T's on my tenor, so I am not familiar with the shorter scale ukes. The tenor sets are awesome, in my opinion. Bright, clear, articulate, nice sustain, and a neutral sound. Not to mention priced nicely, at least here in the US. The diameters are the same for both the t's and the sc sets.

Have you tried Galli strings? They are produced right there in Italy. The have been producing guitar/classical strings for a very long time and have recently started to produce uke strings as well. UX750 is the sop set, UX760 the con and UX770 the tenor.

http://www.gallistrings.com/catalogo_4.asp?id_cat=1&id_sot=16&id_sot_2=85

I am using D'Addario EJ99SC on one concert and Martin 600 on another. I can't tell the difference, so far, and I love both as compared to nylons and Aquilas (both Nylgut and Reds).

I also have a set of tenor strings, - EJ99T - to try out but haven't yet put them on. As hammer40 pointed out, they are the same gauge as the sop/concerts. I really want to like them, as I could use the same set on any of 4 ukes. For the baritone, however, I'll stay with the Nyltechs -- the D'Addario version of Nylguts.

If you like fluorocarbons, the D'Addario carbons are worth a try.

D'Addraio Carbons are nice on tenors and on my soprano. I don't have a lot of other comparisons but they are as good or better than PhD's or Fremont Black Line and in my estimation a lot better than Aquila Nylguts. They are even pretty good tuned to dGBE on a tenor.

guess I'll try them before Martin M600, at this point. it's easier to find them, so I'll try fluorocarbons with D'Addario.

reading the specs, the tension should be fine, it's listed as 29.29lbs for the Soprano scale, when Martin M600 are 30lbs on a Soprano.

(just to add: 34.33lbs on a Concert and 45.60lbs on a Tenor; Martins on a tenor are 53.48lbs)

however, I think that I'd like fluorocarbons because I like the sound of these Soprano and Concert ukuleles, in this particular video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0xnNs56GsI

I kinda like this bright sound, and with Aquilas I can't even get close, they are too boomy ad too mellow, with lot of volume on bass frequencies, but a real scooped sound on the mids.

in this video too I think I like the fluorocarbons best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QZjelJAAIA

Aquila sound good, mellow and "big", but a bit "confused" strumming or playing more notes together. fluorocarbons are clear sounding, with lots of mids and snappy sound.

if fuorocarbons are just fishing leaders in different gauges, I think I'll get this sound with D'addario or Martins in an almost equal way.

I use a D'Addario Pro-Arte classical guitar string for a low G on both of my tenors, and Savarez Alliance standard tension classical guitar strings for the other three strings. I buy them as single strings on JustStrings.com.

if fuorocarbons are just fishing leaders in different gauges, I think I'll get this sound with D'addario or Martins in an almost equal way.

That's pretty much what my line of thinking is, too. Definitely try first what you can easily and cheaply obtain. There are some places for Worth strings in Germany, and a few that have Martins too, so I stick with those for now. I may try the D'Addarios too, though, since Thomann carry them (they used to stock Martins too, not sure why they stopped, but I dropped them two suggestions about it, neither of which was responded to) and I buy stuff there every so often anyway (and they don't charge for shipping).

I use Ken Middleton's Living Water strings on my sopranos. As you're in Italy and Ken's based in the UK there should be no problem getting them on line. I have bought from Thomann in Germany before now no problems. I've also bought strings from these: http://www.stringbusters.com/index.asp They're UK based but you should have no problems buying from them either. Unless the UK votes to leave the EU in the upcoming referendum, that is. I hope not but the arguments are generating a lot of heat and not much light at the moment so who knows.

Try what you can get first and cheap is good advice. Many of the carbon sets I have tried differ only a little in specs and all have played pretty well.

it would be great to buy from Thomann, but it has a standard flat rate for Europe of 20 euros, even if you buy a cheap set of strings. free shipment only from 298 euros or similar.

I used to buy from stringbusters, years ago, for the bass guitar, but at a certain point they raised all their prices, and the currency excange is not favourable anymore.

strange but true, they don't have the Living Water in catalogue... their price on Martin is higher than other shops like Saiten Markt or Lord Of The Strings.

however, I bought the D'Addario from Amazon, they should arrive on thursday.

Back when I owned tenors, I got a set of the D'Addario carbons at a music festival. The G was a low G, and I prefer re-entrant tuning, but they were fine strings. (Plus, the set was $4 at the merchandise booth ... )

it would be great to buy from Thomann, but it has a standard flat rate for Europe of 20 euros, even if you buy a cheap set of strings. free shipment only from 298 euros or similar.

It's free after around only €20 for me, but that must be for Germany only then. I thought it was Europe-wide. Shame, they do have a good selection of equipment and accessories. (Not ukulele strings, though -- they used to have more brands to choose from, but right now the selection is somewhat poor.) I get my Worth strings from Andreas David's store at http://www.gute-ukulele.de but I don't know if he'd ship strings to Italy and how much it would cost (could ask him, really nice guy, very helpful).

however, I bought the D'Addario from Amazon, they should arrive on thursday.

The D'Addarios are good. I had a set on my Kamaka, they sounded great and the intonation was perfect. I recently changed them to Living waters which sound even better, but the intonation is very slightly off now.

The D'Addarios are good. I had a set on my Kamaka, they sounded great and the intonation was perfect. I recently changed them to Living waters which sound even better, but the intonation is very slightly off now.

that's interesting, because with Aquila I've had small issues related to the intonation both with New Nylgut and Super Nylgut.

strange but true, the stock set of black nylon strings I had on my 30€ uke was 100% intonated. it didn't sound bad, on that cheap laminate, and after stringing it with Aquilas, I kind of missed it for the intonation...
as a stupid, I thrown those strings away after the change.

yes, the Super Nylgut gave that little uke more volume, but the overall sound didn't change that much.

then I bought this wonderful Ohana SK38, with great volume, rich sound, but with Aquila New Nylgut and Super Nylgut I think that it's kind of inhibited, I don't know if I can explain this feeling.
I think that those strings cover the sound of an instrument. on a cheap laminate there is little difference in sound, but more volume. when you compare a cheap 30€ Arrow with a 200€ solid mahogany Ohana and they sound too similar, here's where the strings come in.

I can hear that this little Ohana can have a richer and personal sound, but with Aquilas it just plays like an ukulele with Aquilas :biglaugh:

can't wait to hear it sing. maybe I'll go with mellowe strings on the Arrow, to have two complete different sounds.

Again you will be up against the £ --> € exchange rate which is more favourable to us just now.

they are good. one set shipped will cost between 12 and 13 euros, and the shipment is flat at 2.90 euros. guess I'll try them one day.

well, they arrived and I already mounted them :D

what a difference! the sound has changed a lot, and for the first twenty minutes I was on the "I don't like it" side! however, after a bit of strumming and settleing, I understood why many are loyal to fluorocarbons.

1) the sound is snappy and middy, not that bright (but we are talking about a mahogany uke), but finally clear and clean while strumming. at first it seemd to be a little "dry" and "cold", but after a while probably the uke got used to them and the sound became fuller and richer, but still brighter and with less basses than with the Aquilas.
it doesn't "howl" anymore, every note is clear and can be heard while strumming or fingepicking, and the overall volume is balanced.

2) the intonation is perfect, more precise than Aquilas, and they started to stay in tune very fast. in less than two hours the tuning lasted for couple of songs. I then left the uke for some hours alone, and they just detuned a bit.
as I red, it's easier to tune the fluorocarbons with friction tuners.

3) I get some buzzes on the C string while strumming, but I think that they don't come from the frets, but from the bridge. it buzzes, when I strum hard or pluck very hard, even on the open string, so I guess it's the smaller gauge string not sitting perfectly on the bridge saddle, but I'll check better tomorrow.

4) the feeling is strange. at first they seemed to be "grippy" and hard, but after a some songs I got used to the gauge/tension and they actually are easier to press.
they don't feel like "wax" as the Super Nylgut do, but they are smooth and easy to slide.

I don't know, now, if I'd look for other fluorocarbons out there, because these D'Addario sound pretty well.

PS: MOST IMPORTANT THING, I bought the EJ99SC, Soprano/Concert, and the strings are long enough for two stringing, but only if you are precise mounting them.
my Ohana has the vintage bridge that only needs a small knot on the string, so I can save lenght by doing the know at the very edge; by checking the lenght comparing old strings, I got the precise lenght for the right winding on the tuners, and to cut a second string with enough lenght for another stringing on a soprano.
tomorrow I'll try them on my cheap Arrow, to see if they work well on it or if Aquilas are better on a cheap soprano.

however, if the Tenor set has the exact same gauges and doesn't cost more (here it doesn't), one can buy it and be sure to have two sets for sopranos, and maybe for concert.

Glad to hear you like them. I always give strings at least a week before I decide for sure. As you just expierenced, I have had strings I thought I did not like, but then they settled in and I loved them. D'Addario really has a winner in the EJ99's.

Top Bottom