PDA

View Full Version : Several Ukes for Sale, must be picked up in Switzerland

Rakelele
03-05-2016, 07:23 AM
My wife and I have upgraded our ukes quickly over the past couple of years, so we have several nice ones that we just don't play very often and would be willing to sell. The problem, however, is that we live far off from any major markets, so cost for shipping and taxes would pretty much kill any attempt of selling internationally, even within Europe.

Here's the deal for those who happen to live or travel in Switzerland: If you come pick it up in Zurich, I'll make you an awesome price, you won't be able to find any better for a high quality ukulele in Europe. This way, you'll even get to play and compare them before you buy. PM me or reply to this thread, and we can work on the details.

These are the instruments that we are thinking of letting go. All of them are in perfect condition and well setup (except where noted in brackets):

Kala KA-C, laminate Mahogany Concert

Pono AT, all solid Acacia Tenor

Pono MGTP, all solid Mango Pineapple Tenor

Pono TE, all solid Acacia Thinbody Electric

G-String C1, all solid dark figured Koa Concert, built by Derek Shimizu in Hawaii - SOLD! -

Kanilea K1-CP, all solid curly premium Koa Concert, UV-Gloss finish (some scratches on the back)

Islander GL6, laminate Acacia Baritone scale Guitalele/Guilele

Ibanez EWP15-LTD, laminate Mahogany/Spruce Tenor size Piccolo Guitar (intonation needs some work) - SOLD! -

Norman by Godin Protegé B18 CW, solid Cedar top Dreadnought Guitar, Tobacco Sunburst, Fishman pickup, made in Canada

UkeCrazy Hardshell Baritone Case, will fit Baritones of all brands, as well as Guitaleles etc.

We're not in a hurry and won't be going anywhere, so contact me if you're planning a trip to Switzerland, it's a beautiful place to see... and you'll get to play some nice ukes! :cool:

Pictures of the instruments are posted throughout this thread.

sam13
03-05-2016, 01:29 PM
Um ... wow ... that i quite the collection, my friend. You could almost open an online shop! Too bad, you didn't live in Quebec ... I would make the drive ... lol.

Good luck.

DownUpDave
03-05-2016, 02:42 PM
Maybe start a B&B for ukulele players, room comes with your choice of uke rental while there. Simon and I will come visit

Rakelele
03-05-2016, 10:24 PM
Haha, great idea Simon & Dave! Unfortunately, we live in a tiny appartment that barely fits our ukes, so not much room for guests to sleep. Nevertheless, anyone interested in playing our ukes is very welcome.

Howie1947
03-06-2016, 09:14 AM
Will you pay for my airfare and hotel there?? Very interested

Rakelele
03-06-2016, 11:41 PM
Will you pay for my airfare and hotel there??

Haha, no, but I'll add a hardshell case for free to anyone who makes the journey! ;)

Snargle
03-07-2016, 04:28 AM
There's a very good chance I'll be travelling to Switzerland this year (my wife is Swiss and her father is getting quite old and frail). Dates haven't been determined yet and I'm not sure if I'll be in the market for a new ukulele at that point, but I will definitely keep your offerings in mind when the time comes!

Rakelele
03-07-2016, 06:54 AM
Cool, Snargle! Send me a PM when you know the dates, and we can work something out. I see your collection is lacking a Pono, Mango, Tenor Pineapple...! :)

mm stan
03-07-2016, 07:06 AM
Oh dear R, you and the wifey got serious UAS .. holy smokes man ...

sam13
03-07-2016, 08:37 AM
Oh dear R, you and the wifey got serious UAS .. holy smokes man ...

I applaud his spring cleaning ... excellent work!

UkerDanno
03-07-2016, 08:44 AM
dang! my neighbor was just over there on a ski trip
!

Rakelele
04-10-2016, 05:44 AM
Here are some pictures from a couple of ukes I've listed for sale: Pono AT (all solid acacia tenor) and Pono MGTP (all solid mango pineapple tenor):

90093 90094

Both ukes are in nearly new condition, no scratches or dings, perfect setup by the professionals at HMS. Both have beautiful wood grain: The acacia has nice straight dark stripes, the mango some crazy figures and flames. The MGTP was actually the very first of this model, and exactly the one featured in the pictures and videos at HMS (http://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-mgtp-mango-tenor-pineapple.html).

Playability and sound is just as good as with our highend ukes; we're just not playing them as often as we should, because the more expensive ones get most of our attention.

Like I stated in the initial post: If you come pick'em up in Switzerland, you'll get a super sweet deal on a uke you're not going to find anywhere else in Europe at this price. I'd be willing to ship to other countries, but unfortunately, high shipping cost and import taxes in most countries will add up to a total that is far less attractive, with no benefit for me nor the buyer.

Rakelele
05-05-2016, 09:42 PM
To bring this thread back up, here are some pictures of the G-String C1 Concert Ukulele we are willing to sell. It was built in 2014 by Derek Shimizu in Hawaii and purchased from Ukulele PuaPua in Waikiki. It's made of all solid Koa with some very special, dark figures. The fret markers and logo are made of shiny green Abalone. Condition is like new. The only flaw I could find are a couple of open pores in the finish. This is a great player that compares well to the K-brands and other Hawaiian made ukes.

90894 90895 90896
90897 90898

I'm willing to ship this to any country, but as mentioned before, shipping cost plus import taxes may drive up the cost unreasonably high. If you come pick it up in Switzerland, you'll get a great deal on a very special uke.

Edit: This uke is sold, thank you.

Rakelele
05-07-2016, 11:36 AM
Here are some pictures of the Kanilea K1-CP concert with the special UV gloss finish. This is made of Premium Koa, I don't think they are using this high grade of wood on their K1 models anymore. It's really gorgeous, very light, and super resonant. The reason why we are thinking of selling it is because we mostly play our tenors and baritones these days. Wouldn't mind holding on to it, though.

90918 90919 90920

Like I stated in my original post, there are some scratches on the back, or rather "imprints" into the finish. They run pretty wildly across the back, maybe incautiously caused by a shirt button. They haven't penetrated the finish to damage the wood, and they can only be seen when turning in the light. I just want to be clear about this.

sam13
05-07-2016, 04:44 PM
Seriously super collection of Ukes for sale ... wish I lived in Europe to take advantage of this ...

Rakelele
05-08-2016, 02:28 AM
I have replied to all PM's (I hope).

Lori
05-08-2016, 06:38 AM
I love Switzerland! Maybe you should teach a workshop in ukulele, then offer up some of your ukes for new students to buy. You could build up local interest. Playing uke in the Alps would be awesome.

–Lori

Rakelele
05-16-2016, 06:24 AM
The G-String is on hold, all others are still available.

Rakelele
05-19-2016, 10:31 AM
The G-String Concert is now sold and off to a lovely new home across the border.

All others are available, so contact me if you're in Switzerland and looking for a nice solid wood ukulele.

Kanya
05-21-2016, 09:36 AM
Hi there,

I would like to take the opportunity to express my deepest gratitude to Rakelele! I am the very happy new owner of his immaculate GString Concert. It's gorgeous! I instantly fell in love with this beautiful instrument. It's a great player with an absolutely lovely sound.

Thank you sooo much for this beauty!

Warm regards
Kanya

Rakelele
06-08-2016, 07:37 AM
I just added a UkeCrazy hardshell case to my sales list; it will fit any baritone as well as the supersized Islander and Kanilea Guitalele.

Rakelele
06-22-2016, 11:21 AM
There has been some interest in the Islander GL6, so here is a picture along with the Ibanez EWP15-LTD steel string guitalele:

The Islander GL6 is from the very first batch that was made in 2014. It was purchased from HMS, is perfectly set-up, has a beautiful wood grain, and sounds amazing. The only reason I consider selling it is to upgrade to a "real" Kanilea or KoAloha someday.

The Ibanez EWP15-LTD is nice for experimenting with a short scale steel string guitar (17" like a tenor ukulele), but intonation needs some setup work or better compensation, as the strings go sharp up the fretboard.

Rakelele
06-23-2016, 07:25 AM
Just a reminder to anybody who isn't aware of the fact that Switzerland is NOT a part of the EU, so there will be VAT added in most other European countries. Like I said before, I'm certainly willing to ship abroad, but then taxes and shipping fees will pile up, this is why a local pickup would be a lot more attractive.

fallguy
08-05-2017, 09:09 PM
My wife and I have upgraded our ukes quickly over the past couple of years, so we have several nice ones that we just don't play very often and would be willing to sell. The problem, however, is that we live far off from any major markets, so cost for shipping and taxes would pretty much kill any attempt of selling internationally, even within Europe.

Here's the deal for those who happen to live or travel in Switzerland: If you come pick it up in Zurich, I'll make you an awesome price, you won't be able to find any better for a high quality ukulele in Europe. This way, you'll even get to play and compare them before you buy. PM me or reply to this thread, and we can work on the details.

These are the instruments that we are thinking of letting go. All of them are in perfect condition and well setup (except where noted in brackets):

G-String C1, all solid dark figured Koa Concert, built by Derek Shimizu in Hawaii - SOLD! -

Kanilea K1-CP, all solid curly premium Koa Concert, UV-Gloss finish (some scratches on the back)

Islander GL6, laminate Acacia Baritone scale Guitalele/Guilele

Kala KA-GTR, solid Spruce top steel string Tenor Guitar (intonation needs some work)

Ibanez EWP15-LTD, laminate Mahogany/Spruce Tenor size Piccolo Guitar (intonation needs some work)

Norman by Godin Protegé B18 CW, solid Cedar top Dreadnought Guitar, Tobacco Sunburst, Fishman pickup, made in Canada

UkeCrazy Hardshell Baritone Case, will fit Baritones of all brands, as well as Guitaleles etc.

We're not in a hurry and won't be going anywhere, so contact me if you're planning a trip to Switzerland, it's a beautiful place to see... and you'll get to play some nice ukes! :cool:

I understand that this post os a year old. Wondering of you still have any of the ukuleles for sale. will be in Switzerland on the 17th of this month. Will be in Zurich for 2 days. let me know if they are still available. thanks

Rakelele
08-05-2017, 10:19 PM
I understand that this post os a year old. Wondering of you still have any of the ukuleles for sale. will be in Switzerland on the 17th of this month. Will be in Zurich for 2 days. let me know if they are still available. thanks

Yes, most of them are still available. As noted above, the only one I sold is the G-String C1 Concert, and I'd rather keep the Kanilea now in order to have one Koa Concert left. Send me a PM via this forum (by clicking my user name), so we can work something out.

Here is an updated list:

very low action for easy playability

almost new condition, only playware is that the neck has become darker from holding

Mint condition, bought from HMS as the very first of this model; mine is the exact one pictured and featured in the demo video here (http://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-mgtp-mango-tenor-pineapple.html).

almost new condition, only one strum mark (a ding of about 4 mm) on the top of the bottom side of the strings towards the cutaway; very low action for easy playability

Islander GL6, laminate Acacia Baritone scale Guitalele/Guitarlele/Guilele
Mint condition, great intonation due to the setup by HMS

Ibanez EWP15-LTD, laminate Mahogany/Spruce Tenor size Piccolo Guitar (six steel strings, tuned to ADGCEA like a guitar capoed at the fifth fret)
Mint condition, but intonation may still need some setup work; I'm willing to let this one go cheap, as I have an upgraded small body guitar coming in

Mint condition; great guitar, but simply to big for me

Mint condition, only used once

All of the instruments mentioned come with their original gigbag or a case I purchased for it.

Let me know if you need additional photos or anything.

Rakelele
08-06-2017, 05:20 AM
Here is a picture of the two Guitaleles, on the right side the Islander GL6 (20" like a baritone uke) that is very similar to the Koa models from Kanilea, and left the Ibanez EWP15 that is made for steel strings (17" scale like a tenor). This is the Spruce top limited edition which is no longer available.

Rakelele
08-06-2017, 05:43 AM
After much deliberation, I would also consider selling my custom Jazz Box Uke made by Toby Chennell in the UK. This is a very special archtop tenor with a handcarved top and back as well as all the upgrades possible, like a radius fretboard, cutaway, f-holes, and a side sound port. It has a Spruce top with Flamed Maple back and sides, currently strung with light gauge steel strings, but it works just as well with nylon/fluorocarbon strings. Due to its special construction, it can take both, and with the floating bridge, intonation can be adjusted very easily.

Terms are the same as stated above: Must be picked up in Zurich,Switzerland. This one in particular would be too expensive to ship abroad, as the case (handbuilt to custom fit by Toby as well) is rather heavy. Moreover, due to the archtop construction, it has a very special voice that is very apt for Jazz with fast changing chord sequences, but not necessarily for other styles, so I think it would be in your own interest to come and try before you buy it.

Rakelele
08-07-2017, 09:45 PM
And here is a picture of the Pono TE, semi-hollow electric tenor with the passive pickup. Very low action like an electric guitar, perfectly setup by the knowledgeable folks at Hawaii Music Supply. Sounds great even unplugged. Extremely smooth satin finish for an all woody look and tone.

Rakelele
08-14-2017, 02:37 AM
Ibanez Piccolo Guitar is now sold, thank you!

Contact me if you're in Switzerland and interested in any of the instruments offered.

Micha
08-15-2017, 12:57 AM
Just received the Piccolo, new strings and great condition. Thanks Rakele!
Could I tune it also in "E", and what kind of strings can I use?
Really happy with it, looks great!

mountain goat
08-15-2017, 02:03 AM
Interested in the jazzbox tenor.
maybe a silly question,
but why won't you post them international?
thanks.

Rakelele
08-15-2017, 10:24 AM
Just received the Piccolo, new strings and great condition. Thanks Rakele!
Could I tune it also in "E", and what kind of strings can I use?
Really happy with it, looks great!

Glad to hear you like it, Michael! I'm afraid tuning down to E would make the strings too floppy, and also throw off intonation at such a short scale length. But you could certainly give it a try...!

Rakelele
08-15-2017, 10:48 AM
Interested in the jazzbox tenor.
maybe a silly question,
but why won't you post them international?
thanks.

Hi Jon, the Jazzbox is nice, and you could probably really make it sing.

The reason why I hesitate to ship internationally is that there was VAT and other fees when I imported these instruments into Switzerland, and when they are now being sent to another country, most likely there will be more taxes added there. Add to that the cost for shipping, and you have a far less attractive total on the buyer's end. If you're fine with that, let me know, and I'll gladly ship to any destination. I just checked: Shipping to Australia would cost between $95 USD (slow) and $140 USD (faster).

sam13
08-15-2017, 12:02 PM

The reason why I hesitate to ship internationally is that there was VAT and other fees when I imported these instruments into Switzerland, and when they are now being sent to another country, most likely there will be more taxes added there. Add to that the cost for shipping, and you have a far less attractive total on the buyer's end. If you're fine with that, let me know, and I'll gladly ship to any destination. I just checked: Shipping to Australia would cost between $95 USD (slow) and $140 USD (faster).

I would enjoy hearing Jon play it ... just saying ... lol. :D

Micha
08-16-2017, 01:00 AM
ok, thanks! :-)

Kanya
08-16-2017, 07:20 AM
I can highly recommend Rakelele as a seller: my husband and I bought three really beautiful instruments from him and they are all immaculate. I'm very sure that you won't regret buying one of his 'ukuleles.

hoosierhiver
08-16-2017, 07:24 AM

FYI: Australia does not have any duty on items less than $1000.