PDA

View Full Version : Fluke - has anyone changed strings?

SoloRule
03-05-2016, 02:57 PM
UAS is killing me !
Bought a concert size fluke on impulse . I received today.
Just wondering if any one tried changing strings? If yes, what brand would you recommend?
Its hard to play , it keeps sliding. Any suggestion?
I tried G strap, it won't stay put in the sound hole. The back of the Uke is very slippery!
Thanks for your advice!
http://cosmomusic.ca/ukulele-concert-magic-fluke-m10-fluke-hibiscus-w-gb.html

vcs700s
03-05-2016, 03:21 PM
I changed to Freemont Blacklines for strings.

Grip Strips will stop the sliding.

Both are available on the Magic Flea website.

SoloRule
03-05-2016, 03:42 PM
Is the black line softer than the original?

vcs700s
03-05-2016, 03:44 PM
Is the black line softer than the original?

Not in my opinion.

PereBourik
03-05-2016, 03:47 PM
I use Martin M600. use a strap to keep it from slipping. Or pin it with your right arm.

uke4ia
03-05-2016, 03:55 PM
One of the customizing options Fluke offers is a couple of strips they stick onto the plastic back to add friction so you can hold it in place easier. You can
buy these separately from them or rig up something similar yourself. I had these put on my tenor.

Grip Strips (http://www.magicfluke.com/product-p/gripstrips.htm)

As far as strings go, I liked Aquila Reds on my concert Fluke. For my tenor Fluke, I use classical guitar strings -- Savarez Alliance standard tension, and a D'Addario Pro-Arte for the G string.

SoloRule
03-05-2016, 04:01 PM
One of the customizing options Fluke offers is a couple of strips they stick onto the plastic back to add friction so you can hold it in place easier. You can
buy these separately from them or rig up something similar yourself. I had these put on my tenor.

Grip Strips (http://www.magicfluke.com/product-p/gripstrips.htm)

As far as strings go, I liked Aquila Reds on my concert Fluke. For my tenor Fluke, I use classical guitar strings -- Savarez Alliance standard tension, and a D'Addario Pro-Arte for the G string.

I like the Aquila red but they snap easy even on regular gear tuner , may be worse on this type of tuner? I found it very tight.

deschutestrout
03-05-2016, 04:06 PM
worth browns on my concert flea and boy does she sing. never had a slipping problem so the other's advice ... consider it.

Captain Simian
03-05-2016, 04:11 PM
I have Aquila Reds on all my Fleas and haven't had any issues with breakage. Makes the uke sound zingy.

EmmaQ
03-05-2016, 04:26 PM
I used to own a flea and I had two strap buttons installed on it. Even though it's a plastic body, it's still easy and safe to drill into for the buttons. I checked first with Flea Market and they said it's fine to do that. I also installed the 2 back strips they sell but they really weren't necessary after I started wearing a strap.

thaidye39
03-05-2016, 05:07 PM
I use oasis brights and grip strips. Hands down, my favorite uke.

M3Ukulele
03-05-2016, 06:53 PM
I would love to see picture of Fluke with strap buttons. Placement of buttons and size would be helpful. I assume guitar strap buttons........ But wonder about the size and length of screws. Did you drill a slightly smaller pilot hole?
I age same slipping issue with my tenor Fluke and sound hole strap. Currently using new D'Addario Flurocarbon strings and they sound fine!

soupking
03-05-2016, 07:34 PM
So, I'm the only one who uses Aquilas on my Flukes? :confused: That's what they came with. I guess I never felt it necessary to change them. They sound just like ukuleles to me.

Tootler
03-06-2016, 12:25 AM
I use fluorocarbon strings on mine. Living water on the Flea and Worth Clear on the Fluke.

The Fluke is a tenor and I use the Worth Fat, CF strings to tune it DGBE (high D).

I would love to see picture of Fluke with strap buttons. Placement of buttons and size would be helpful. I assume guitar strap buttons........ But wonder about the size and length of screws. Did you drill a slightly smaller pilot hole?
I age same slipping issue with my tenor Fluke and sound hole strap. Currently using new D'Addario Flurocarbon strings and they sound fine!

I too would like to see where anyone has put strap buttons as I don't want to put one on the bottom as being able to stand it up is very useful. Saves carrying a stand.

I have found a uke thong (sound hole strap) works OK on my tenor Fluke but not on the Flea. I currently use a uke leash but would prefer a full strap if someone can suggest the best place to fit a strap button.

To stop slipping I put a piece of self adhesive velcro (hooky side) on the back

Edit to add: I have started a separate thread on fitting a strap to a Fluke to avoid hijacking this thread any further

SoloRule
03-06-2016, 01:50 AM
When I checked their site , only saw two or three type of strings! I assumed that was their recommondation !
This is very helpful! I do love the sound of the red!
Yes the strap button would not be an ideal if you prefer the flat bottom

mm stan
03-06-2016, 02:35 AM
I luv aquilas on mine .. gives punch and volume.. had mine at least 5 years plus

SoloRule
03-06-2016, 03:57 AM
Sten: You never told me you own a fluke.
WOW that's mean I have your blessing. ;)
Just ordered the strips, no mentioning of shipping cost. Hope it's not more than the strips.

SoloRule
03-06-2016, 03:58 AM
I luv aquilas on mine .. gives punch and volume.. had mine at least 5 years plus

Sten, you mean the original Aquilas that came with the fluke?

EmmaQ
03-06-2016, 01:21 PM
I bought regular strap buttons for my Flea and I had a friend (skilled woodworker who has installed a number of strap buttons for me the last few years) do the drilling. I had him install buttons on the bottom as usual and on the neck as usual. Having the Flea stand up wasn't nearly as important to me as being able to wear it comfortably as I play. Unfortunately to finance a more expensive uke, I sold it a couple of years ago so I am unable to post pictures of the work. Sorry.

ukulelekarcsi
03-06-2016, 10:25 PM
Playing upright without a strap:
- support the ukulele slightly with your strumming arm, so the instrument is a bit higher than otherwise.
- (I think this is quite important as a general way of playing) use wrist rotations and finger motions for strumming/picking, not your elbow like you'd do with a guitar.

With these two hints, a flea or fluke is not more slippery to play than a wooden figure-8.

Booli
03-07-2016, 02:05 AM
After dozens of string changes to find the ones I like the best, I have the Martin M600 on each of my concert and tenor Fleas, and the Martin M620 strings on my tenor Fluke.

These Fleas are both tuned GCEA, but the Fluke is tuned EAC#F#, and the M620 strings are the ONLY set of out more than a dozen I've tried that have a C (or 3rd) string that is 0.0340" which can handle the lower tuning. The way to achieve this is to NOT tune up beyond these pitches, for if you tune higher, and then want to tune down later, the strings are too stretched out and too floppy.

For a strap, I use an adhesive square that is for mounting cable bundles with a zip-tie, and I stick this on the back of the uke, and then tie the other end of the strap to the headstock.

This is an example of the zip-tie mount:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ptHpYyiiL.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BSJHLE

The adhesive holds really well, and in 3 yrs, NEVER had one come off and using these does NOT require the drilling of any holes, nor compromising the flat bottom. Just use a string or length of shoelace to tie your strap through the holes in the zip-tie mount.

Booli
03-07-2016, 07:42 AM
To go with my previous post above, I have added some photos of the adhesive cable-tie mount installed:

http://i.imgur.com/cmQ7ACh.png

ralphk
03-07-2016, 09:49 AM
I too really like straps and after I tried many options, I decided to drill a hole and use a 1/8" leather shoe lace for a strap. Works great.

Charley
03-07-2016, 12:37 PM
The Aquilas my Fluke came with were fine, but when one of them broke I switched to Worth strings, with a low G. I like the sound much better. As for slipping, I installed a strap button and always use a strap, so slipping is no longer an issue.

librainian
03-07-2016, 02:14 PM
I use Fremont Blacklines with a Low-G soloist wound I am enjoying the sound so far. Mine came with the grip strips which do make a difference in the slippery back problem. Certain fabrics exacerbate this. Stay away from synthetics and synthetic blends. I have a couple of merino wool sweaters I wear quite a bit and with those strips on the back, it's stuck there like glue!

librainian
03-07-2016, 02:16 PM
The Aquilas my Fluke came with were fine, but when one of them broke I switched to Worth strings, with a low G. I like the sound much better. As for slipping, I installed a strap button and always use a strap, so slipping is no longer an issue.

I was a little leery of installing a strap button (a) because then I can't stand it up! and (b) I was afraid I'd tear it out of the plastic back if I mounted it elsewhere on the body.

Where and how did you do it?

librainian
03-07-2016, 02:18 PM
For a strap, I use an adhesive square that is for mounting cable bundles with a zip-tie, and I stick this on the back of the uke, and then tie the other end of the strap to the headstock.

The adhesive holds really well, and in 3 yrs, NEVER had one come off and using these does NOT require the drilling of any holes, nor compromising the flat bottom. Just use a string or length of shoelace to tie your strap through the holes in the zip-tie mount.

Booli to the rescue again!!! Thanks dude!

SoloRule
03-08-2016, 11:52 AM
After posting this thread, a UU member gave me the strips. I just put them on, it works very well. Thank you

Charley
03-08-2016, 12:00 PM
I was a little leery of installing a strap button (a) because then I can't stand it up! and (b) I was afraid I'd tear it out of the plastic back if I mounted it elsewhere on the body.

Where and how did you do it?

I gave up the option of standing it up, and installed it at the end of the ukulele. I had a guitar shop in Santa Monica CA do it, and they put a small block of wood inside, and then drilled through the plastic into that. It works well and I don't really think about the standing up thing anymore.

I know others who have drilled directly into the plastic without any reinforcement, and they say it works fine, but I don't feel comfortable doing that.

Booli
03-08-2016, 12:23 PM
Booli to the rescue again!!! Thanks dude!

Any time! glad to help!

From working in IT and doing network installations from the ground up, I had these zip-tie mounts in my toolbox, and back when I was looking for a way to strap the concert Flea (my first MFC uke) I tried this solution, and figured if it failed, I'd only be out the cost of a single mount, which was negligible since I was buying these in bags by the gross (144 ct.) as long as I did not drop the uke in question.

Mind you, I would not try to suspend my body weight with one of these mounts, but the Fluke and Flea ukes weigh very little and the adhesive has been holding for years now, and if it were to fail, I'd replace it with another for like $0.08 in cost.

Amazon is likely not the best price for these, as there are many electronics supply and networking supply stores online that would have them cheaper, but Amazon may be the most convenient if you have Prime.

SoloRule
03-08-2016, 12:28 PM
After dozens of string changes to find the ones I like the best, I have the Martin M600 on each of my concert and tenor Fleas, and the Martin M620 strings on my tenor Fluke.

These Fleas are both tuned GCEA, but the Fluke is tuned EAC#F#, and the M620 strings are the ONLY set of out more than a dozen I've tried that have a C (or 3rd) string that is 0.0340" which can handle the lower tuning. The way to achieve this is to NOT tune up beyond these pitches, for if you tune higher, and then want to tune down later, the strings are too stretched out and too floppy.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ptHpYyiiL.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BSJHLE

Booli , you always have great idea.

Booli
03-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Booli , you always have great idea.

Thanks brother! I just try to first make use of whatever I've got lying around to solve a problem, instead of rushing out to buy something, kind of like MacGuyver (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGyver).

It also helps to keep my mind going to think of creative solutions for different things. I try to build it myself or hack something together first, before going online to see what pre-made items are for sale...

mm stan
03-25-2016, 05:03 AM
Sten, you mean the original Aquilas that came with the fluke?
NO NO it would be 6 year old Aquillas then on my ukulele .. tee hee hee they would be pretty dead in a two years, six years flat :)

joneo
11-18-2016, 09:45 AM

Great idea Booli! I just picked up a BugsGear plastic concert uke and used one of these sticky zip tie mounts in place of a bottom strap button. Looped the other end of my paracord through the headstock as I've done on a couple other ukuleles. Works great!

(For more info on this simple paracord strap, see this thread: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?120779-DIY-Strap-from-Paracord-with-a-Petros-Strap-Button-on-my-Tenor&p=1855891#post1855891)