Fluke - has anyone changed strings?

SoloRule

Reaction score
UAS is killing me !
Bought a concert size fluke on impulse . I received today.
Just wondering if any one tried changing strings? If yes, what brand would you recommend?
Its hard to play , it keeps sliding. Any suggestion?
I tried G strap, it won't stay put in the sound hole. The back of the Uke is very slippery!
Thanks for your advice!
http://cosmomusic.ca/ukulele-concert-magic-fluke-m10-fluke-hibiscus-w-gb.html

Last edited:
I use Martin M600. use a strap to keep it from slipping. Or pin it with your right arm.

One of the customizing options Fluke offers is a couple of strips they stick onto the plastic back to add friction so you can hold it in place easier. You can
buy these separately from them or rig up something similar yourself. I had these put on my tenor.

Grip Strips

As far as strings go, I liked Aquila Reds on my concert Fluke. For my tenor Fluke, I use classical guitar strings -- Savarez Alliance standard tension, and a D'Addario Pro-Arte for the G string.

One of the customizing options Fluke offers is a couple of strips they stick onto the plastic back to add friction so you can hold it in place easier. You can
buy these separately from them or rig up something similar yourself. I had these put on my tenor.

Grip Strips

As far as strings go, I liked Aquila Reds on my concert Fluke. For my tenor Fluke, I use classical guitar strings -- Savarez Alliance standard tension, and a D'Addario Pro-Arte for the G string.

I like the Aquila red but they snap easy even on regular gear tuner , may be worse on this type of tuner? I found it very tight.

worth browns on my concert flea and boy does she sing. never had a slipping problem so the other's advice ... consider it.

I have Aquila Reds on all my Fleas and haven't had any issues with breakage. Makes the uke sound zingy.

I used to own a flea and I had two strap buttons installed on it. Even though it's a plastic body, it's still easy and safe to drill into for the buttons. I checked first with Flea Market and they said it's fine to do that. I also installed the 2 back strips they sell but they really weren't necessary after I started wearing a strap.

I use oasis brights and grip strips. Hands down, my favorite uke.

I would love to see picture of Fluke with strap buttons. Placement of buttons and size would be helpful. I assume guitar strap buttons........ But wonder about the size and length of screws. Did you drill a slightly smaller pilot hole?
I age same slipping issue with my tenor Fluke and sound hole strap. Currently using new D'Addario Flurocarbon strings and they sound fine!

So, I'm the only one who uses Aquilas on my Flukes? :confused: That's what they came with. I guess I never felt it necessary to change them. They sound just like ukuleles to me.

I use fluorocarbon strings on mine. Living water on the Flea and Worth Clear on the Fluke.

The Fluke is a tenor and I use the Worth Fat, CF strings to tune it DGBE (high D).

I would love to see picture of Fluke with strap buttons. Placement of buttons and size would be helpful. I assume guitar strap buttons........ But wonder about the size and length of screws. Did you drill a slightly smaller pilot hole?
I age same slipping issue with my tenor Fluke and sound hole strap. Currently using new D'Addario Flurocarbon strings and they sound fine!

I too would like to see where anyone has put strap buttons as I don't want to put one on the bottom as being able to stand it up is very useful. Saves carrying a stand.

I have found a uke thong (sound hole strap) works OK on my tenor Fluke but not on the Flea. I currently use a uke leash but would prefer a full strap if someone can suggest the best place to fit a strap button.

To stop slipping I put a piece of self adhesive velcro (hooky side) on the back

Edit to add: I have started a separate thread on fitting a strap to a Fluke to avoid hijacking this thread any further

Last edited:
When I checked their site , only saw two or three type of strings! I assumed that was their recommondation !
This is very helpful! I do love the sound of the red!
Yes the strap button would not be an ideal if you prefer the flat bottom

Sten: You never told me you own a fluke.
WOW that's mean I have your blessing. ;)
Just ordered the strips, no mentioning of shipping cost. Hope it's not more than the strips.

I bought regular strap buttons for my Flea and I had a friend (skilled woodworker who has installed a number of strap buttons for me the last few years) do the drilling. I had him install buttons on the bottom as usual and on the neck as usual. Having the Flea stand up wasn't nearly as important to me as being able to wear it comfortably as I play. Unfortunately to finance a more expensive uke, I sold it a couple of years ago so I am unable to post pictures of the work. Sorry.

Playing upright without a strap:
- support the ukulele slightly with your strumming arm, so the instrument is a bit higher than otherwise.
- (I think this is quite important as a general way of playing) use wrist rotations and finger motions for strumming/picking, not your elbow like you'd do with a guitar.

With these two hints, a flea or fluke is not more slippery to play than a wooden figure-8.

Top Bottom