Tenor aquila strings for a soprano?

Skeezy

Reaction score
Hey so i recently ordered some aquila strings (tenor) for my soprano uke and as smart as i am i just realized this, i have been playing for about a week and it sounds good but then again i have only been playing for about a month or 2 ... should i restring to soprano aquila?

I would say if is sounds good, I would stick with it. I intentionally have concert srtings on my soprano, granted the tenor are going to be quite a bit heavier.

Maybe there is luthier can weigh in on this question, my only concern would be the added tension of the strings causing damage to the uke.

Aquila Tenor strings are all Nylgut right? No wire wound 3rd string?

Simple solution, buy Nylguts soprano strings for your soprano ukulele, and a new tenor ukulele for your tenor strings. ;)

They will be a little bit thicker and so there will be a bit more tension. I know a lot of poeople put concert aquillas on sopranos but perhaps tenor strings is a step too far. On the other hand people tune them up to A,D,F#B with no problems.

Personally I think I'd tune it down a semitone to Gb, B, Eb, Ab to reduce the tension and be safe until I got some new strings.

tension & more

Aloha Skeezy,

You'll probably be able to drop the string action even lower with a set of the tenor strings laced up but I would watch the soundboard, bridge, and neck to see if there is any movement over time.

Since the gauge is thicker (and the tension higher) you risk some structural damage to your uke and this can happen quickly if the bracing doesn't hold. Most ukes are braced with a simple fan bracing and sometimes that will suffice but with ukes being constructed with increasingly thin soundboards nowadays (to maximize excitement on the soundboard) there is a greater risk of damaging your uke as well.

Just keep an eye on it. :shaka:

best,
Shawn

http://ukulelefriend.com

Top Bottom