PDA

View Full Version : Ken Timms style 1 soprano

Timbuck
03-07-2016, 03:36 AM
Starting a Modest price on the usual website .. may the best man win ;)
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/PICT0004_zpsq69wwj5f.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/shiregreenbod/media/PICT0004_zpsq69wwj5f.jpg.html)

Pukulele Pete
03-07-2016, 03:48 AM
It's beautiful . I love the binding .

Ukulele Eddie
03-07-2016, 08:36 AM
Best looking one I've seen, Mr. Timms!

sam13
03-07-2016, 09:58 AM
Best looking one I've seen, Mr. Timms!

I agree with Eddie. Very sweet looking!

pluck
03-07-2016, 01:28 PM
Ken, You could single handedly kill the vintage Martin market.

deschutestrout
03-07-2016, 02:51 PM
Clicked the link and it brings me to nothing having to do with this uke .... am I missing a link in your post? Very nice looking uke!

ksiegel
03-07-2016, 04:05 PM
Clicked the link and it brings me to nothing having to do with this uke .... am I missing a link in your post? Very nice looking uke!

You need to go to ebay, and type in "Timms Style 1" in the search box.

I'm watching it, but it will be out of my budget range very, very soon.

-Kurt

sam13
03-07-2016, 04:16 PM
You need to go to ebay, and type in "Timms Style 1" in the search box.

I'm watching it, but it will be out of my budget range very, very soon.

-Kurt

I did that ... no Uke ... just stuff ...

Jim Hanks
03-07-2016, 04:37 PM
I guess posting a link is against the rules but if you search for this number it will pop right up: 272159493868

sam13
03-07-2016, 05:08 PM
I guess posting a link is against the rules but if you search for this number it will pop right up: 272159493868

Thanks Jim.

chefuke
03-07-2016, 05:41 PM

This Post is in the wrong section and against the rules

DPO
03-07-2016, 05:53 PM

I sincerely hope that you are joking.

ZappCatt
03-07-2016, 05:57 PM
No, he was serious.

There are three Marketplace rules:

Please do not post links or otherwise direct people to your eBay auction. This subsection is intended for member-to-member transactions only, sans middle man. If you would like to announce your eBay auction, please do so in the Links and Videos subsection.

The Marketplace is for:
1) Member-to-member private sales which form no part of a business
2) Sole luthiers who personally make all the instruments they sell.

As I understand it, the Marketplace is for direct sales which are not Ebay sales, thus links or mentions directing people to an Ebay auction would be against the rules.

DPO
03-07-2016, 06:20 PM
No, he was serious.

Please do not post links or otherwise direct people to your eBay auction. This subsection is intended for member-to-member transactions only, sans middle man. If you would like to announce your eBay auction, please do so in the Links and Videos subsection.

The Marketplace is for:

As I understand it, the Marketplace is for direct sales which are not Ebay sales, thus links or mentions directing people to an Ebay auction would be against the rules.

Save me from the forum police officers. Ye Gods!!

34ForEvah
03-07-2016, 06:30 PM
Save me from the forum police officers. Ye Gods!!

Gotta Love holier than thou Forum Posters.

Jim Hanks
03-07-2016, 06:45 PM
We had this discussion fairly recently in relation to a sales announcement by Black Bear Ukulele. He was "exonerated" (not exactly the right word) and the sale/post allowed to continue.

Ken's post is not in the wrong section and is not against the rules. If my post giving clearer direction to the uke overstepped, I apologize. If you wish to complain to the admins, please do so and they can deal with me and my post as they wish. But don't clutter up this sale thread. Again, my apologies for the distraction.

Mivo
03-07-2016, 07:53 PM
We had this discussion fairly recently in relation to a sales announcement by Black Bear Ukulele. He was "exonerated" (not exactly the right word) and the sale/post allowed to continue.

I don't know if I want to get into this, but ... Black Bear posts full details here, and you can PM him to buy his instruments at the conditions he outlines, through a direct transaction without an auction site in the middle. That is fundamentally different from posting a note that essentially says, "I put this on ebay, go there and buy it on ebay if you want it."

wickedwahine11
03-08-2016, 06:56 PM
Sorry guys but only items sold in the Marketplace itself may be placed in the Marketplace section of the forum. Ebay links need to be elsewhere. Moving this in accordance with forum regulations.

As to the complaining about the rules, they are what they are. I would request folks please adhere to them. Complaining about them will not permit you to refrain from following them. And creating a new account just to whine about them is even less encouraged. Thank you.

In regards to Marketplace rules, this is the relevant set of guidelines...while sole luthiers may sell in the Marketplace, links to eBay should be in the Links and Videos section.
---------
8) Marketplace - Buying and Selling:

The Marketplace is for:
Please note: Larger manufacturers employing additional builders may not sell in the Marketplace. Dealers may not sell in the Marketplace. If you wish to start a thread about your business, you may do so in the Links and Videos subsection.
Certain items are unsuitable for trade through UU. The following are prohibited and may not be mentioned, even in hints or code, in the context of trading on this forum:
> weapons (including, but not only, firearms, knives, bows/crossbows, stun guns and martial arts weapons)
> drugs or medicines
> any item the trading/selling of which is subject to legal regulation or control, including items such as tortoiseshell, wood, and other things covered by the CITES convention.

dirtiestkidever
03-08-2016, 07:17 PM
Well, whatever the rules are, this is a gorgeous ukulele. I love the binding! This is my favorite 'martin' style. The style 3 and 5s are way too ornate for me. This is just right. Well done Ken.

buddhuu
03-08-2016, 09:10 PM
Forum rules are for Schmucks!

Cool kids ignore them!

But then they don't tend to stay around long.

sam13
03-09-2016, 03:32 AM
Well, whatever the rules are, this is a gorgeous ukulele. I love the binding! This is my favorite 'martin' style. The style 3 and 5s are way too ornate for me. This is just right. Well done Ken.

I agree with you ... what a fabulous looking Uke! Good luck to the future owner.

aquadan
03-09-2016, 07:48 AM
ACK -A style 1 Timms! I must control myself...
Double Ack - there's a 17 fret style 1 up now too.

As was mentioned to me today, these are what the 100th anniversary Martin's should be.

Django
03-12-2016, 09:16 AM
It seems a bit of a shame that this post had to move. It is nice to know that one of these is available without doing a weekly search on ebay. Maybe there could be a special place on the forum to post ukuleles that are being offered elsewhere so that potential buyers can have a heads up. Just a thought. I do like the binding on the top, like an early Martin Style 1. I might have to bid on the 12 fret listed.

wickedwahine11
03-12-2016, 09:18 AM
It seems a bit of a shame that this post had to move. It is nice to know that one of these is available without doing a weekly search on ebay. Maybe there could be a special place on the forum to post ukuleles that are being offered elsewhere so that potential buyers can have a heads up. Just a thought. I do like the binding on the top, like an early Martin Style 1. I might have to bid on the 12 fret listed.

I understand your sentiment but unfortunately the Marketplace is pnly for ukuleles listed for sale in the actual Marketplace. Links to eBay auctions are permitted, but are supposed to be in the links and videos section. So eBay sellers are certainly free to let folks know, it just shouldn't be as a Marketplace thread.

Jim Hanks
03-12-2016, 09:24 AM
It is nice to know that one of these is available without doing a weekly search on ebay.
You can set up a saved search in eBay and it will email you when a new listing is posted.

pluck
03-12-2016, 10:17 AM
I understand your sentiment but unfortunately the Marketplace is pnly for ukuleles listed for sale in the actual Marketplace. Links to eBay auctions are permitted, but are supposed to be in the links and videos section. So eBay sellers are certainly free to let folks know, it just shouldn't be as a Marketplace thread.

First, Mr. Timms doesn't put links to his eBay listings in his posts. If a commenter puts a link up then maybe it would be better to remove that comment than move the actual thread. Secondly, people crosspost sales at Flea Market all the time. I don't see why that is allowed and crossposting to eBay is not. I'll admit that I am biased as a Timms fan. If it were any other seller I probably wouldn't give a ....

wickedwahine11
03-12-2016, 11:05 AM
First, Mr. Timms doesn't put links to his eBay listings in his posts. If a commenter puts a link up then maybe it would be better to remove that comment than move the actual thread. Secondly, people crosspost sales at Flea Market all the time. I don't see why that is allowed and crossposting to eBay is not. I'll admit that I am biased as a Timms fan. If it were any other seller I probably wouldn't give a ....

It does not matter that there is no link. If the uke is not for sale IN the UU Marketplace, it CANNOT be listed in the UU Marketplace. The fact that he chooses not to provide an actual link is immaterial. The uke is not a sale closed within the borders of UU, it is located elsewhere, in this case on eBay. It could just as easily be on Craiglist, Flea Market Music or a private website. It still would not have been located in our Marketplace and therefore, should not be listed in that section of the forum.

As for a Flea Market sale, if it is cross posted both there and here, I don't see where there is a violation. If it were ONLY on Flea Market, that would be a more appropriate comparison. If you disagree with the rules, I would encourage you to petition the admins to change them. But until that time, if it is not available to purchase directly through the Marketplace, it is not permitted in that section.

This has nothing to do with Mr. Timms, and is not personal to him. Neither you nor I, nor any other person, is permitted to list items for sale in the Marketplace thread when they may not be purchased through that method.

If I am mistaken and the uke was for sale here, and not on eBay, I will gladly move it back to the Marketplace.

Django
03-12-2016, 02:41 PM
I apologize for re-derailing this post. I have no issues with the rules and I feel that this site is a great asset to the ukulele playing community and I am grateful for it's existence and to all those who work hard to make it available and keep it civil.

It's a nice looking instrument and I hope that Ken keeps producing these modern classics.

Django
03-14-2016, 02:49 AM
I ended up bidding on this one and I won the auction. I have been wanting a ukulele without the extended fingerboard because I play fingerstyle and I like playing my vintage Martin Style 1. It probably shouldn't be a deal breaker, but I won't buy an instrument without binding and a rosette. I'm glad that Ken makes an instrument that has the appeal of a vintage and is a hand made instrument.

Jim Hanks
03-14-2016, 03:03 AM
Congrats Django! Looking forward to your review and sound samples. :)

aquadan
03-14-2016, 04:35 AM
I ended up bidding on this one and I won the auction. I have been wanting a ukulele without the extended fingerboard because I play fingerstyle and I like playing my vintage Martin Style 1. It probably shouldn't be a deal breaker, but I won't buy an instrument without binding and a rosette. I'm glad that Ken makes an instrument that has the appeal of a vintage and is a hand made instrument.

Welcome to the club! I'm jealous you get a style 1 - it looks beautiful. I'm watching Ken's auctions for the koa and the extended fretboard ukes, as I'd love to have either of those, but I think I will have to satisfy myself with just looking.

pluck
03-14-2016, 05:50 AM
Congrats, indeed. I know you have a pretty good collection of sopranos at this point. Do you have a strong preference in mahogany vs. koa? I love my Timms Style 0 and would like to go all in on the 1K but suspect it will get out of reach. If you are in a particularly good mood today I can make you a terrible offer on that Kiwaya koa you were trying to unload recently.

wickedwahine11
03-14-2016, 05:57 AM

Congratulations on winning a lovely instrument. :)

Django
03-14-2016, 07:00 AM
Congrats, indeed. I know you have a pretty good collection of sopranos at this point. Do you have a strong preference in mahogany vs. koa? I love my Timms Style 0 and would like to go all in on the 1K but suspect it will get out of reach. If you are in a particularly good mood today I can make you a terrible offer on that Kiwaya koa you were trying to unload recently. I prefer Koa for playing up the neck. Mahogany seems to fade a little above the 7th fret, (1st string). I do like the forgiving nature of Mahogany though. My preference depends on my mood and the type of music that I am playing.

I have added a tenor to the group. I bought a Collings UT2K from a UU member, (kebal). I like it very much and the Koa is very clear and resonant all the way to the body. Kebal was very honest and accommodating. Very good person to deal with.

I look forward to having the Timms Style 1 very much. I have not played one yet, but his following speaks for itself and I have no reservations.

ksiegel
03-14-2016, 04:02 PM
OK, so now I know who snatched this one out of my hands! (Well, snatch is a relative term... He got it for GPB 50 higher than my maximum bid...)

Enjoy the instrument... I'll just sit here and pout.

-Kurt

Timbuck
03-15-2016, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the comments Folks ... but I don't do this for a living and I'm never satisfied with any uke I make ..I always feel that I could do better.
Anyway here is the next one...(Link) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272171656945?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/PICT0002_zpsllp0yhvj.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/shiregreenbod/media/PICT0002_zpsllp0yhvj.jpg.html)

Django
03-15-2016, 04:52 AM
You call this taking it easy? Always tempting, but I will need a new cabinet before I can add more ukes. Very nice.

ksiegel
03-15-2016, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the comments Folks ... but I don't do this for a living and I'm never satisfied with any uke I make ..I always feel that I could do better.
Anyway here is the next one...(Link) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272171656945?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/PICT0002_zpsllp0yhvj.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/shiregreenbod/media/PICT0002_zpsllp0yhvj.jpg.html)

Yeah, I just saw this one on eBay, and it is certainly a beauty... but all of the Timms ukes jump out of my budget in the final few hours... I can only go as high as about $500 USD shipped, which is about 340 GBP, so I just enter my maximum, and watch the other bids roll right over it.

One of these days...

I know it doesn't help you directly, Ken, but now I'm looking on the secondary market - waiting on one of those rare occasions when one appears.

-Kurt

Timbuck
03-16-2016, 06:37 AM
This is the last of the Koa Sopranos For a while cos I've ran out of wood :) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ken-Timms-Hand-Built-Soprano-ukulele-style-K-1-Koa-/272173232507?hash=item3f5ec9f17b:g:jHcAAOSwYlJW6Xq 0
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/PICT0002_zpshyclrqaf.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/shiregreenbod/media/PICT0002_zpshyclrqaf.jpg.html)

jksk8in
03-18-2016, 02:15 AM
Oh my gosh! This recent koa batch is truly special. :drool: I acquired a Timms last year, and love it! It's really tempting to bid on another.

ksiegel
03-18-2016, 05:04 AM
Yeah, just looked. The same bidder has automatic bids on all three of the Timms ukes up for auction, and they are all right at my maximum level.

Oh. well...

One day.

pluck
03-22-2016, 04:37 AM
I grabbed the first koa because I suspected the curlier ones might be out of range and I was right.

jksk8in
03-23-2016, 03:37 AM
I grabbed the first koa because I suspected the curlier ones might be out of range and I was right.

So it was you who beat me by one bid! :wallbash: Congrats pluck, on a real gem! This one is special indeed!

pluck
03-23-2016, 06:35 AM
So it was you who beat me by one bid! :wallbash: Congrats pluck, on a real gem! This one is special indeed!

Thanks, jksk8in. If it makes you feel any better my max bid was a bit higher.

aquadan
03-23-2016, 07:17 AM
Congrats! I was very tempted by several of the latest, but am in the process of thinning the herd and couldn't justify buying another right now. But all of the Koa's were beautiful. I will admit to making the initial bid on a couple of them just so I could feel like I was involved, but knew I was at no risk of winning.

KoaDependent
03-23-2016, 10:34 AM
I was in it but didn't win it. Hope you make more!