Changing flat fretboard to a radius one?

EmmaQ

Reaction score
I have 2 concert ukes, one with a radius fretboard and one with a flat fretboard. For me, the uke with the radius is way easier to play but I still love the tone of the other one. Someone suggested to me that I find a luthier and have him or her rebuild the flat fretboard into a radius one. My musician friend didn't think it would cost too much, maybe $100. Has anyone else done this or heard of someone doing this?

I think that quote is waaaaaay off.
Unless it's a very very high end uke, you're probably better off buying another uke with a radius board, than converting one.

I think that quote is waaaaaay off.
Unless it's a very very high end uke, you're probably better off buying another uke with a radius board, than converting one.

This is dead on and I agree 100%. I love a radius fretboard and have had a quote. Think about what has to happen, the existing fretboard is removed, a new one is made with all new frets. It is then attached to a FINISHED neck so the actual matching of dimensions between the two pieces is difficult and time consuming. A new radiused nut and saddle are then made and installed, all frets leveled and a complete set up done

I was quoted approx. $300.00 to have this done and I think that is reasonable. I had just a new bone nut made for a baritone and a set up done and that was $85.00.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree with both of you but I was hoping I was wrong.

I have a flat fretboard on a high-end uke with low action that's very easy to play. Maybe you could just have your concert uke with the flat fretboard set up with low action for about $60?

I apologize, re-reading my response seemed meaner than I intended.
I just meant to say that it will likely be much more.

I looked at getting a refret, and it was quite a bit more than $100.
To reshape the wood, nut, and saddle.. and then refret... would be alot more work.
And if there's binding.. that would need to be redone too.

$100 to upgrade a custom before it's built would be a good price. To do it after built.. I can't even imagine.

No problem, spookelele. I agree with what you said. Other than Cocobolo and some Pono, few factory ukes come with radius fretboards and I'm don't want to order a custom. I already have a Clara and I love it, but a second one? I don't know about that- a lot of money and I don't know if it would be a mistake owning 2 of the same ukuleles.

I don't know if it would be a mistake owning 2 of the same ukuleles.

If you love the uke, it absolutely would not be a mistake! I played two identical Kamaka HF2 concert ukes for quite a while, one low G, one reentrant. I know we're all different, but for me I found it really helpful to be able to focus on playing two ukes that felt almost exactly the same in my hands - almost like having just one uke and getting to know it really, really well. And I still more or less play two of the same ukulele - one of the previously mentioned Kamaka concerts, and the other is a concert-neck Kamaka soprano. Slightly different sound qualities, but they feel pretty much the same (unlike when I switch to soprano, which always takes a little bit of adjustment).

Thanks Janeray for that encouraging advice. I'll be at the upcoming Reno UkeFest and I'll try different ukes out but I can imagine going with another Clara too. I appreciate your advice!
And NewKid, I agree that ukes with low action are great to play- once upon a time I had a KoAloha tenor and its low action made it easy to play. When I got my Clara though, I really really fell in love- gorgeous tone and perfect fretboard for me. Loved the concert size too. Sold the KoAloha to pay for the Clara. Good decision for me. Now, I have a Martin CK1 because I needed both tunings and I like the tone but not the flat fretboard of the Martin. Its action, by the way, is already pretty low.

Last edited:
It will most times cost way more than the ukes worth to put a radius fretboard on
Sorta like saying i want to take my automatic transmission out and throw a standard manual trans in my car
Sounds easy but it aint, even crowning and filing the frets take time more than building the body

It will most times cost way more than the ukes worth to put a radius fretboard on
Sorta like saying i want to take my automatic transmission out and throw a standard manual trans in my car
Sounds easy but it aint, even crowning and filing the frets take time more than building the body

I agree with Stan.

But if you would like a quote contact Kilin Reece at https://www.krstrings.com/resume.html

He told me he recently put a radius fret board on a vintage Kamaka ...

Top Bottom