Is it OK to play the D Chord this way ?

greatone88

Reaction score
My fingers are a little to big to play the D chord with my 123 fingers. Is there anything wrong with playing the D chord with the 234 fingers ? I would think that if you can do this, it would prepare you for the E chord.

Thanks,
Jim

Play it however it works for you. I play it with a 213 fingering.

No issues. I change my fingerings depending on what chord comes next in order to make transitioning easier

234 fingering for D seems perfectly healthy to me.

Whatever makes the music come out.

I've just gotten into the habit of playing with one finger across the three strings (0222), or the Bb shape at the fifth fret. (5567)

The point is, whatever works for you is the right way to do it.

My fingers are a little to big to play the D chord with my 123 fingers. Is there anything wrong with playing the D chord with the 234 fingers ? I would think that if you can do this, it would prepare you for the E chord.

Thanks,
Jim

-Kurt​

Well. In the mandolin world, true progress seems to start when the pinky kicks in. I've decided to force it into action whenever it's convenient. It opens up a few more avenues and the fluency can't hurt anything.

If you haven't watched it yet, Petey's video on the D chord is excellent:

If you would like to prepare E chord with your big fingers, there is an alternate.
  1. Set your strap over your right shoulder like Freddie King. This style let your ukulele face to right side and make your finger flat to the flet board. We can see Freddie's flat fingers on this photo. We can take short barre easily with this style.

View attachment 89050
  2. Use your 223 fingers for D. You need to try best direction of the fret board in order to take good position for short barre of D.
  3. After you've got used to D with this finger position, you can try 2231 fingers for E.

I call this D and E finger style freDdiE. :)

Thanks,
Jim
No, you can be arrested for playing it that way. Just kidding, that is how I play it, and for the same reason that you stated. And you are also right, it lends itself well to sliding up to the E.

Ive seen others bar the top three strings and play like this. I find this easier if I add the 5th fret on the A string to it this way. Otherwise my D chords are usually done with my pointer and index on my soprano.

Last edited:
I bar the 3rd and 4th string with my middle finger and fret the 2nd string with my ring finger.

Well. In the mandolin world, true progress seems to start when the pinky kicks in. I've decided to force it into action whenever it's convenient. It opens up a few more avenues and the fluency can't hurt anything.

Great point! I think that if you want to progress to tougher chords, chord melody playing, and more advanced fingerpicking, that pinky has to be strengthened. Start using it now on very simply chords like C to start the training!

I do like the 234 D fingering as it is a little easier to squeeze in there and gets that pinky utilized!

Once I started playing D as 2225, I never played it any other way.

Thanks everyone for all the replies!!! Sounds like there are many ways that you can do each chord. I will stick with the 234 so that I am used to using all my fingers while playing :)

I bar the 3rd and 4th string with my middle finger and fret the 2nd string with my ring finger.

+1 on this way of doing it; helpful when you move on to the E and Eb chords because your index finger is free to fret the 1st string for those chords.

I actually bar the second fret and pinky the 5th fret on the A. 2225. I like the way this D sounds better as well.

Alternatively a D at 7655 also does for E at 9877 for those who don't like 1402 ....and ever upwards. Or back down for C ,B and of course Bb.;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom