Hawaii!!! :D :D :D :D :D

UkuLeLesReggAe

Reaction score
So i have given it a lot of thought, actually... I haven't given it any thought. But its on my mind all the time.

I have hated this country (Australia, no offence) for some time now. Mainly because its the area i live in and all the bad s** that goes down. But its enough for me to hate the whole country.

So i was thinking about moving back to New Zealand... But its basically the same thing as Australia, just fobs (islanders),maoris and kiwis.

So i want to move to Hawaii. I think it would be perfect for me. Lovely beaches, nice friendly people, no racism and not as much crime (as i assume) Hula and lots of festivals and best of all, THE UKULELE.

Could i just move there, pack up, arrive and sign up so i can live there? I hear you have to marry an American... But Australia just takes anybody, dumbest country... (nice beaches though :p)

main reason is the ukulele, i am really that desperate to learn the ukulele really good. Its stupid, yes but it just feels like the perfect place. My family say that i should stay here, but if people hold you back, you won't get anything you want done in your life.

Where are the nicest places in Hawaii?? I like quiet places, not loud city places, where do you recommend??

I WANT TO MOVE TO HAWAII!!!!!!!!!
thanks guys

I know what you're feeling.
For a couple of years now, I'm dreaming of moving to Hawai'i.
But for now I'm finishing my studies.
I'm also wondering, Hawai'i is part of the USA, can we just move down there, or must we have a green card or something like that ?

Keep in mind that the cost of living anywhere in Hawaii is rather high. That's definitely something to take into consideration first.

While the people in Hawaii do have a lot of aloha spirit, don't be fooled by the stuff you see on tv: there is racism here. The most common complaints are about haoles, or white people. But you definitely won't see as much racism here as places on the mainland, thats for sure.

Nice quiet places with lots of wilderness would definitely be an island like Kauai or the Big Island, or maybe even Maui. Kauai and Hilo are especially rural. We're both really laid back places. No such thing as big shopping malls or freeways. Kauai especially has beautiful beaches.

And if you move to Kauai, you can learn from Aldrine himeself. :p

Considering the high price of living, I live in Paris, in France, so I guess it's pretty similar, cuz life is expensive.
I know there is racism and all that, everywhere ...
But I think that when you live in a such beautiful place, you must live an happier life isn't it ?

Hawaii or bust?

I'm with Kateri on this one. The only thing that keeps me from returning to Hawaii to live is the cost of living. In particular, housing costs. Years ago I lived in Kailua on the island of Oahu. Went to Kailua High School and the community college there. However, once my parents moved back to the mainland I found it incredibly hard to stay $$ wise. There was defianately racism around. Like Kateri said, mostly against Caucasian's (which I am). However, it was not a predominate overtone or anything. Occassionly, you'd hear about a haole getting their ass kicked on the North Shore by some local kids for no reason, but it was probably no worse than any other places I have lived. I guess I fit in and never had any trouble because I was a guitar player. They seems to give you a hall pass on the ass kicking if you could play. hahaha... But I would love to make it back there one day. It keeps calling my name also.

Bottom line you need to ask youself is: How much are you willing to give up "comfort wise" to live in paradise? Unless you have some serious $$ stuffed in a mattress somewhere or a great career opportunity waiting for you, I would give it some deep thought. I personally won't return to Hawaii just to live in a tiny apartment in a bad area of town, with no money in my pocket, just to warm my face in the sun and go to the beach. Humm?? Given, this is a close call, however realistically, I'm not much for looking thru the window of the coolest candy store on the planet and not being able to afford to go inside and taste all the treats it has to offer..e.lo.

Last edited:
I'm with Kateri on this one. The only thing that keeps me from returning to Hawaii to live is the cost of living. In particular, housing costs. Years ago I lived in Kailua on the island of Oahu. Went to Kailua High School and the community college there. However, once my parents moved back to the mainland I found it incredibly hard to stay $$ wise. There was defianately racism around. Like Kateri said, mostly against Caucasian's (which I am). However, I was not a predominate overtone or anything. Occassionly, you'd hear about a haole getting their ass kicked on the North Shore by some local kids for no reason, but it was probably no worse than any other places I have lived. I guess I fit in and never had any trouble because I was a guitar player. They seems to give you a hall pass on the ass kicking if you could play. hahaha... But I would love to make it back there one day. It keeps calling my name also.

Hey E Lo, you should check out Kauai. I was born and raised there, actually all 3 of the UU guys grew up there, and then moved to Oahu after college. I was culture shocked when I moved here. So much road rage, hate, and general grumpiness. No one looks like they're happy here. I want to move back to Kauai so badly.

You're all talking about racism against caucasian people.
Do you know why ? too much tourism ?
I know there's is no reason for racism but there is always one that is there.

Kauai

Hey.. im from kauai... and yes same reason why i moved to the U.S.. Parents said Hawaii was getting very expensive so we moved to washington..but i love kauai even though its so small.. hehe.. everything is just so close by and best beaches.. and quite in some places.. ive seen some racism.. but not so much...i guess there is alot of tourists coming and taking land.... other than that Kauai is a chill and relax place... Hawaii is the best!

Hey E Lo, you should check out Kauai. I was born and raised there, actually all 3 of the UU guys grew up there, and then moved to Oahu after college. I was culture shocked when I moved here. So much road rage, hate, and general grumpiness. No one looks like they're happy here. I want to move back to Kauai so badly.
Rayan, yes Kauai is great. My wife and I had our honeymoon there at the Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa. Very beautiful resort, however, my main interest was checking out the local scene. I couldn't get my wife to do the hike around the north shore area, but it defianately was more laid back than Oahu. Kauai is where I discovered the music of the KA'AU CRATER BOYS at a local surf shop. I said "damn who is that on the uke playing Brown-eyed Girl?" Troy Fernandez of course,... I quickly bought up two of their CD's and starting reading up on them. ...But I digress, my focus (or intent) lately is to purchase a plot of land on the Puna coastline on the southeast shore the Big Island and build me a small but comfortable home to raise my daughter. Hey, a fellow has to dream, right? haha... For some odd reason, I still think of Hawaii as my home. Playing the uke reminds me this and also why, when it comes to life,..I never sweat the details.... enjoy the weather Rayan, it's snowing here! e.lo............

Last edited:
Uku, unfortunately, to me, it seemed to be mainly directed at Caucasians. Probably just because our skin color looks so out of place there I guess. In reality, everyone who walks the shores of Hawaii is an import, unless your ancestors are of Hawaiian decent. Anyone?, if I'm wrong, then much love and apolozies...sincerely,...e.lo

you consider traffic in oahu road rage? hahaha if you ever come down to san diego, ill take you up and down the I-5 during rush hour. youre going to fudge your pants.

when we got back to san diego from our hawaii trip, as soon as i got off the plane, someone bumped into me and didnt even say excuse me. i looked at my friends and said "did you see that? people are f*ckin rude! we're HOME!!!" hahaha

New Zealand is very laid back also, but Hawaii just seems a lot nicer..

Racism in my area is extremly!!!!!! bad, you can't imagine it. My areas are bombarded with different races. For example

Minto, Eaglevale, Claymore, Airds And Campbelltown are all Samoans, Maoris and Tongans. You have Aussies and arabs and such. They get bashed just for their race, there stuff stolen.. Put in hospital.

My friends usedto do catties or whatever. (knock on the door, when they answer bash them. Run in and steal all their s**)

NOt very good, but Kauai sounds nice. Being expensive is hard, our house was about 2.8mil 3 years back. We had to move because we couldn't offord it, now our house is only avergae, roughly $400k, and im happy here. Plus my dad has more money to spend and such.

The thing is, if i don't move now, ill get over it and want to move somewhere else.

A lot of the time the excuse is 'that haole was acking stupid.' And I have to admit, some tourists that come to Kauai are extremely rude. I worked in the tourist industry for a summer and there truly are some idiots. They can't get out of the mainland mentality. But at the other end of the spectrum, there are many ignorant locals, I'm sorry to say. They judge someone that is white before they even talk to them.

I'm also from Kauai but live on Oahu for school. I wasn't as culture shocked as Ryan, but it is EXTREMELY different from Kauai, or Big Island, or even Maui. People here much more rude. Everyone is in a rush, all the time. That's something that I needed to get used to after coming from a place thats so slow paced.

Just to give you an example of cost of living, you're likely to pay something like $1200/month for a one bedroom apartment thats one step above rat hole.

But I digress, my focus (or intent) lately is to purchase a plot of land on the Puna coastline on the southeast shore the Big Island and build me a small but comfortable home to raise my daughter. Hey, a fellow has to dream, right?
That sounds like a perfect dream to me. I would love to have my kids grow up on the islands and soak in the culture, but once again I don't think I'll be able to afford it.like they always say, "One day...."

Aww, in Paris I pay 650 Euros (= 1000$) for a 26m² (280 ft²) flat in the suburbs.
So yeah, true it's really expensive in Hawai'i.

so true e-lo, about everyone being foreigners. for a place thats well known for its melting pot of cultures (or mixed plate), there is a lot of hate going around. my friend was talking about moving to the big island and buying some land so couple of us could build a house (or some houses) and just live there. he told me about a firefighter over there that supports his family of 6 with just him working. but then again, he is a firefighter haha. hawaii isnt really the paradise lots of people make it out to be. it's just different that the place where you're from. much like if i went to japan, i would love that. it may not seem like paradise to some, but to others it is. sorry im kinda losing track of my train of thought right now. haha.

Top Bottom