Strap Pegs? Are They Popular With You Guys?

WoodGlue

Reaction score
Los Angeles, CA USA & Wherever It Is I'm Camping I
I have one cheapie uke with strap pegs installed. I'm considering having a luthier install a set of strap pegs on my Oscar Schmidt O5. What's the consensus of people here in regards to having strap pegs or having them installed or not having them at all!

Thanks,

WoodGlue

I have strap buttons on nearly all my ukes. I don't generally bother with a strap when I'm sitting down but do find a strap useful for when I'm standing. I do play a little cleaner though, when I have the support of a strap, since my fretting hand is not holding up the neck.
I have two buttons on my baris and just one on one of my sopranos (tie at headstock on this one). There are plenty of alternatives to strap buttons and you can search for threads on UU about them, but I do like the security of buttons. How do you like them on the cheaper uke that you have? This should tell you whether buttons are right for you.

I think most of the regulars here really like strap buttons.

None of my ukes have them. Originally, I had concerns whether they would affect the sound, but that turned out to be unfounded (as I learned more about how "sound happens"), and I don't particularly like the look of them on such small instruments. I also want to keep the dependency on accessories as low as I can. The latter is more of wishful thinking right now because I do use a Uke Leash with all of my ukuleles, though I get better at playing without anything (but I mostly play seated, even crosslegged often).

It's just preference, I think, and also depends on what/how you play.

I have them on all my instruments except for my soprano. I do install nice bone ones with ebony centre dots though as I hate the look of the metal ones.

Straps & buttons are a personal thing, if you want them, fit them, it's your uke. :D

You can use a plectrum as well if you want to; it really is up to you. :)

Wear a hat if you like, too. :cool:

I recently had a strap button fitted to my Ohta San, I've never used one before. I resisted for ages because I didn't really want anything drilled into the uke, but not having to support the neck has definitely freed up my playing. I drove 2 hours to the Southern Ukulele Store to have it done, there was no way I was going to trust anybody else to do it - least of all myself!

I do install nice bone ones with ebony centre dots though as I hate the look of the metal ones.
I'm not a fan of the metal ones either, but unfortunately the only non-metal options I could find here in the uk were the peg type, with no screw. SUS didn't recommend using them because of the size of hole required, so I just went with the standard metal button.

Using a strap makes playing easier for myself and most others so yes I have them on all my ukes. It is a personal perference but once I played a uke with strap buttons and a strap I had that "Eureka" moment and I never looked back.

I have an ovation applause tenor that came with one, but I've never played while wearing a strap. I typically tuck my instruments tightly under my right elbow, and don't have a problem stabilizing the instrument with just that arm.

Must. Have. Strap. Buttons. On. All. Ukes. Period. I guess that would be a "yes". ;-)

I only need one at the base though. I tie or hook the other end to the headstock. They're pretty easy to install yourself as well. I posted about my experience with that a couple years ago. Let me know if you want me to find it.

I put two strap buttons on all my ukes and basses.

For some reason I can hold my tenor without a strap but not the soprano.

Until recently I was quite happy managing my ukes without a strap but I have recently become a convert to straps. It all started with my Risa ukes which come fitted with strap buttons and you can use the case strap as a strap. I use them at open mics and found the uke so much easier to play standing up with a strap that I am gradually fitting all my ukes with strap buttons. It's easy to do on standard style ukes but Fluke/Flea have proved an issue but I think I have a solution to them. That just leaves my sopranos which I have the least problem playing standing up. Just need a couple of strap buttons for them.

I still tend to play strapless sitting down but standing up the strap makes it so much easier. I just fit one strap button on the heel of the body and tie the other end to the headstock. I've made headstock fixings from leather strapping and press on buttons for denim trousers. I leave them on permanently and prefer them to tying on a bootlace.

I never had used them before, until I ordered the two-button setup on my Outdoor Ukulele Tenor. That was a very good $10 upgrade. So now I'm thinking, "Dang, I wish all of my other ukes had dual strap buttons!" But I've managed this long and play almost always sitting down, so it's really not a big deal.

I'm a big fan of the single strap button at the bottom of the uke, with a strap that ties onto the headstock. Makes intricate playing so much easier - the first time I tried it was a definite life-changing experience, and now there's no going back!

I like the two strap button style. The smaller the ukulele the more I need them. 99% of the time I play sitting down and they enhance my playing. I don't have them on my vintage ukuleles because I feel they are too fragile at this point in their life to install them, but I would if I knew they would not be damaged.

I recently had a strap button fitted to my Ohta San, I've never used one before. I resisted for ages because I didn't really want anything drilled into the uke, but not having to support the neck has definitely freed up my playing. I drove 2 hours to the Southern Ukulele Store to have it done, there was no way I was going to trust anybody else to do it - least of all myself!

I'm not a fan of the metal ones either, but unfortunately the only non-metal options I could find here in the uk were the peg type, with no screw. SUS didn't recommend using them because of the size of hole required, so I just went with the standard metal button.

I have purchased all my strap buttons and endpins from Bob Colosi in Georgia ( http://www.guitarsaddles.com/pricing.asp ). You can get simpler/cheaper ivoroid ones from StewMac ( http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Strap_Buttons/StewMac_Guitar_Strap_Button.html ).

Last edited:
My preference is simple I will stop looking at any ukulele for sale in the marketplace if there are strap buttons mounted on it. It is a serious deal killer for me.

~alacazam~

I only use sound hole straps that loop around my neck and hook in the sound hole of the Uke. I love them. Very simply. I like the Freemont straps. Try it you may like it.

I'd like to try a strap that hooks in the sound hole, like Willie Nelson uses on Trigger, but right now I have one strap button on all of my ukes except the reso which has two (They were installed by a previous owner.) I can strum first position chords without a strap, but for melody playing or complicated closed chords, I need a strap. The people I play with stand, so I like to do likewise.

ukestraps.jpg

Top Bottom