String tread.

Rllink

Reaction score
I know that everybody likes another string thread.;) My Mainland came with Aquilas. When they started getting grooves in them, I bought a set of Aquila Super Nylguts to put on it. Then when those got worn, I put another set of Super Nylguts on it. So that was around Thanksgiving. I thought that they needed changing again, and all I had was a couple of sets of Lanikai Aquila Nylgut strings in the closet here. I got a deal on them last winter, and bought five sets. So I put a set of those on the Mainland, and I like them better than the Super Nylgut strings.

Last edited:
Seems like you prefer the Aquila strings right now since those are the strings with which you have had (the most) experience.

Nobody can fault you for that. For if they tried, it is their own ignorance that needs a remedy.

If you're happy with Aquila strings then maybe your string search for those instruments are satisfied.

Consider yourself lucky. :)

Seems like you prefer the Aquila strings right now since those are the strings with which you have had (the most) experience.

Nobody can fault you for that. For if they tried, it is their own ignorance that needs a remedy.

If you're happy with Aquila strings then maybe your string search for those instruments are satisfied.

Consider yourself lucky. :)
I am satisfied with the Aquilas. I have not spent much time trying out a variety of strings, looking for that special sound. Honestly, I don't want to fall into that hole. They are fine.

I don't want to fall into that hole. They are fine.
Psst. Cumere. Yeah you. Take a look at these fresh Southcoast babies. Yeah, just look. Hey, I'll give you the first set free. No charge. Just try it. :p

I like Aquilas too. I've only used a few others that came on new Ukes, but Aquilas are good enough for my fumbling.

But I don't like Aquila Reds at all; they're too fat, and they break. I've had lotsa bad luck with 'em. I've also sworn off low Gs from now on. I don't like their boominess, and I do like Uke sound of the high Gs on the smaller sizes.

I'm gonna keep one of my concerts tuned to Hi-G CEA and the other to Lo-G CEG (until the low G breaks). My one soprano is tuned to Hi-A DF#B. I've dropped the Hi-F BbDG too.

I think I'd rather just practice and learn how to play better. Besides, I don't like to change strings . . . :eek:ld:

Last edited:
Funny I'm sworn off white Aquila strings they feel too fat and squeak a lot when I oil my fret board.

I have reentrant Aquila red sets on at least four sopranos my Risa stick and my KA-SEM for well over a year now with no issues or breakage. The one string I broke well two were low G and clearly an issue with the particular ukulele design. I have a set on a KA-GAS and a little Brazilian from Vietnam as well with no breakage or issues.

I bought Aquila reds for my two concerts, my tenor and even an elusive set for banjolele which I dont play enough to have bothered to change them yet. Still have one single low G red in soprano size. I have to either mod the stick or pick a ukulele for it. Been eying my 1st gen pineapple flea but cannot decide.

Could other strings sound better? Honestly I dont know and dont care as reds sound great on everything Ive put them on so far. They have a papery feel like no other string and now others feel odd. The fact they are red just sets them off nothing looks the same against different woods.

risa-neck.jpg

~peace~

I've had good luck with Aquila Red's too (knocking on wood now so as not to jinx myself). I think they feel great on the fingers, and sound great.

I'm not a fan of regular Aquila's though. Too harsh in my opinion.

Honestly though, the string discussion is such a matter of personal preference. It's like us sitting around here arguing about the best underwear maker --- personal preference!

Funny I'm sworn off white Aquila strings they feel too fat and squeak a lot when I oil my fret board.

I have reentrant Aquila red sets on at least four sopranos my Risa stick and my KA-SEM for well over a year now with no issues or breakage. The one string I broke well two were low G and clearly an issue with the particular ukulele design. I have a set on a KA-GAS and a little Brazilian from Vietnam as well with no breakage or issues.

I bought Aquila reds for my two concerts, my tenor and even an elusive set for banjolele which I dont play enough to have bothered to change them yet. Still have one single low G red in soprano size. I have to either mod the stick or pick a ukulele for it. Been eying my 1st gen pineapple flea but cannot decide.

Could other strings sound better? Honestly I dont know and dont care as reds sound great on everything Ive put them on so far. They have a papery feel like no other string and now others feel odd. The fact they are red just sets them off nothing looks the same against different woods.

View attachment 89087

~peace~

When I started playing Ukes last year I got a Travel Tenor that came with Aquila Nylguts. Then I read about Aquila Low-G Reds and bought a set. Wow they were nice but after a week they broke. So I tried D'Addario Carbons and like those even better, but thought I'd try a set of the Custom Extruded, as they were supposed to be 'warmer'. Then UAS got me and I bought Concert and another Concert, a sopranino, another tenor, a soprano, and finally a baritone! All of these came with Aquilas, and I changed them out just to try different strings, PhD's, Fremont Blacks, more D'Addarios and today I put on a set of Worth Brown Fats on my big tenor, tuned to dGBE. SAS? Maybe but the Worth's made a big difference in the Tenor, they may actually be too loud.

I've never been really satisfied with Aquilas. To me they sound brash and I prefer Fluorocarbons. I haven't completely rejected Aquilas yet. I bought a set of their dGBE for tenors and will try them, but after hearing the Worth Fats on my Tenor, they will have to be exceptionally good to compete. I still have Super Nylguts on my Baritone, it's only a month old and has two wound strings so it isn't irritating, yet.

I have enjoyed the various string sets I've used, the only ones I've hated were some GHS hi tensions that were too hard and felt like razor blades on my tender fingertips. While I learned to play and developed my 'ear' I have enjoyed the sound changes in the various instruments and learned a lot about music that I never knew. I still have a lot to learn but I won't have to buy stings for a long time. But I probably will.

I'm also not very prone to experimentation when it comes to strings.

I use Worth on my two KoAlohas and my Barron River tenor because that's what they came with it and the ukes sounded great to me, so I keep buying Worth strings (they are also relatively available). On my deceased soprano I used Martins, because that is what it came with and it sounded good. On my Stagg concert, I use Aquila Nylguts because that is what it came with and it sounds good to me.

There is a pattern. :) If it sounds good, and I can't even specify what I would like to be different, I stick to it. "Never change a winning team" mentality. If the Worth availability decreased (really just one shop I can get them locally from reliably), I'd look for strings of the same gauge and material from someone else. I'd also consider changing if someone offered very similar strings at a cheaper price (chiefly this means something that is available from Thomann as they have very competitive prices).

For the Stagg I stick with Aquilas because their sound and feel is something I associate with that particular ukulele. (I'm actually surprised to see the Nylguts referred to as "brash" - for me they sound noticeably more mellow than fluorocarbons -- just shows how subjective this is, and how much it may also depend on the instrument).

There is one special case: I think if you want to use an unusual tuning, like Bb or A or re-entrant on a baritone, you can probably gain something from a specialized string set, which typically means Southcoast strings.

Overall I think I'd probably be happy with pretty much any strings once I got used to them.

All my ukes came with Aquila strings, & until my UAS stopped, that was the way they stayed.

However, I just bought some low G concert strings from Living Water & they made a big difference to my long neck soprano tone & sustain.

I do find the Aquila strings not quite to my liking, but not so bad as to have to change them all..........yet(?).

Rolli......they say ignorance is bliss. If you are happy with the Aquilas stay with them and stay blissful. You are so right about the "rabbit hole" of chancing tone with string changing. It can become as consuming as UAS.

Rolli......they say ignorance is bliss. If you are happy with the Aquilas stay with them and stay blissful. You are so right about the "rabbit hole" of chancing tone with string changing. It can become as consuming as UAS.

In defense of SAS, ;) There is something to be said for experimentation on sound. Strings and tunings can change the character of an instrument. Usually it is worth the ~$10 to see how a different selection can effect the voice of an instrument, at least to me. Changing strings on my CT-100 Zebra Tenor really made me appreciate it's resonance and great presence. With the stock Aquilas, I wasn't happy with it. But with PhD, Carbons or these Worths it is much better sounding to me. Yet it's voice is not the same as my RT-102, even tuned the same. Each has a distinct voice, each is easy to play what more can I ask?

@JackLuis, You are preaching to the choir here. I am known as "The String Man" by Simon, Tim and Brenda, members here and playing partners of mine. You could buy a good quality ukes with the money I have in string stock down in my basement. So I agree with everything you say, been there, done that, got the string box to prove it.

Rllink and I have gotten to know each other and I understand and respect his minimialistic approach to the uke. Unlike my totally gluttenous consumption of everything ukulele :p

@JackLuis, You are preaching to the choir here. I am known as "The String Man" by Simon, Tim and Brenda, members here and playing partners of mine. You could buy a good quality ukes with the money I have in string stock down in my basement. So I agree with everything you say, been there, done that, got the string box to prove it.

Rllink and I have gotten to know each other and I understand and respect his minimialistic approach to the uke. Unlike my totally gluttenous consumption of everything ukulele :p

I prefer to believe that it's the ukist who matters and not the instrument. If Jake played my Ukes, I'll bet they would sound a great deal different from when I play them.

Everyone (except Rollie) is constantly buying and selling Ukes and changing strings to improve their artistry. I think a little study and intelligent practice would better improve it. Wouldn't it be a better to be a competent ukist and THEN give in to UAS/SAS?

Well, anyway, it ain't the strings; it's that durned, boring practice that gets ya where ya wanna go! :eek:ld:

I play on some old, vintage ukuleles and some newer modern builds as well and have found that, for my ears at least, nothing sounds better than natural gut strings on an old 20s soprano. Gut was the only thing available when these instruments were built and by golly it seems they were made for the dry, round tone that natural strings produce on old wood. Now the modern builds are a different story. My Collings does indeed suck with gut strings but rings like a bell sporting Living Water sets or Aquila reds. Can't say that I understand the why of it........logically it doesn't make much sense, but it is what it is. If you play an old something or other from the early years of the ukulele, do yourself a favor and string it up with a set of gut strings......wow.

I prefer to believe that it's the ukist who matters and not the instrument. If Jake played my Ukes, I'll bet they would sound a great deal different from when I play them.

Everyone (except Rollie) is constantly buying and selling Ukes and changing strings to improve their artistry. I think a little study and intelligent practice would better improve it. Wouldn't it be a better to be a competent ukist and THEN give in to UAS/SAS?

Well, anyway, it ain't the strings; it's that durned, boring practice that gets ya where ya wanna go! :eek:ld:

DUD 2........I'm the guy that agreed with am supported Rollis decision.

Practice will not change the sound of my uke from reenetrant to low G. The difference between Worth Browns and Aquilas are very noticeable.

I like practice, I do it all the time in hopes of becoming a "competent ukist" as you put it. I have no delusions that different strings or ukes will make me a better player. But I might find a sound a like better and I might practice more because I like it more and eventually I might become a "competent ukist" :music:

Chicken or the egg. If a bad note is played in the forest and no one is there to hear it is it still bad.

Haha, I appreciate the support of my friends. They are true friends. Hey, I experimented. I went from Aquila Nylguts to Aquila Super Nylguts, and then back again. I think that speaks for itself. The discussions about strings, and a lot of things we talk about in the ukulele word as well, remind me of taking a vacation somewhere I've never been before. Whenever I get to planning a vacation, it seems like people come out of the woodwork to tell me what I just have to see. You gotta go there, you gotta see this, you can't miss that. After a while, the whole experience gets frustrating, because I just don't have the time to do it all. Instead of enjoying what I'm doing, I think about what I might be missing. I feel a lot like that about strings. There are so many different strings out there. I wouldn't even know where to start. But this thread is actually about the Lanikai branded Aquila Nylgut strings. I think they sound better than the Super Nylgut strings. But take it wherever you want to go with it. That is fine with me. :)

Last edited:
Ya know, DUD1, you're probably correct. I understand that everyone seems to like to experiment with new Ukes and strings. I guess I wrote my tirade because I'm tired of all the NUDs and the endless string trials. I guess I was just being a fogey again.

My hearing is on it's way out, and that scares and bothers me. I probably couldn't tell an Aquila from any other strings that you peeps blather about. I don't wear hearing aids yet, but sometimes I have trouble hearing TV or when my wife speaks to me (it ain't ALL bad), and I know it's gonna get worse.

Anyway, like Rollie, I'm used to the way the Aquilas sound and feel and cost and look (though the reds are flashier), and I'm gonna just keep usin' 'em.

I guess I'll just shut up when it comes to NUDs and the endless string trials. Have a ball, y'all! :cheers: :eek:ld:

Ya know, DUD1, you're probably correct. I understand that everyone seems to like to experiment with new Ukes and strings. I guess I wrote my tirade because I'm tired of all the NUDs and the endless string trials. I guess I was just being a fogey again.

My hearing is on it's way out, and that scares and bothers me. I probably couldn't tell an Aquila from any other strings that you peeps blather about. I don't wear hearing aids yet, but sometimes I have trouble hearing TV or when my wife speaks to me (it ain't ALL bad), and I know it's gonna get worse.

Anyway, like Rollie, I'm used to the way the Aquilas sound and feel and cost and look (though the reds are flashier), and I'm gonna just keep usin' 'em.

I guess I'll just shut up when it comes to NUDs and the endless string trials. Have a ball, y'all! :cheers: :eek:ld:

Hey brother don't you dare stay quiet. I always enjoy the comments and thoughts. Keep em comin

Top Bottom