Eastman?

kkimura

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Any Eastman ukulele owners out there? How are they?

Yep, I have an Eastman concert. It's a very good uke and designed in the Martin style-- in fact, I'd say it's about 75% a Martin "copy. Like most Eastman products, it's well built, has excellent fit and finish, and nice tone. If you like that mahogany uke sound (and as far as I know, Eastman only makes mahogany ukes), you'll like Eastman.

My buddy has an Eastman concert that has a nice mellow sound. The saddle came a bit low so he had to replace. When he picked his out of a few of them he said fit and finish varied wildly between them. Oh and his has fret markers at the 9th fret instead of the usual 10th which is kinda funky for some players.

Pono competes right in this price category and deserves a serious look if you haven't already. Best import, that's just my personal preference. YMMV.

The Martin imports from Mexico, the S-1 and C1K, are pretty nice. And, at least when on sale, seem not that much more than the Eastman or Ponos. Although, I agree Pono makes a very nice ukulele for the money. I have a Pono Mahogany concert MCD and a Martin C1k and prefer the Martin C1k for tone, but the Pono has just great build quality.

Thanks for the response, I do like the mahogany sound. The two 'hog' ukuleles I had, a Mainland concert and an Ohana TK-38, were ok but ended up sold for one reason or another.

Good advice, thanks. I'll be sure to try before I buy.

I like the Martin build quality and tone Richard, but their pricing seems to hold me back which is why I'm checking out the Eastmans. I don't know why but none of the Ponos I've tried "spoke" to me.

Blues Angel Music, the store where our Uke Group meets sells Eastman's. I don't own one but I have several friends that do. They like them a lot. They do sound nice.

That's it in a nutshell, the uke has gotta sound nice. If it wasn't 1,456 miles from NH, I'd drive down to try one out.

I bought an Eastman tenor about a year ago. It sounded nice in the store, but I was really attracted to the beautiful figured mahogany, and it came with a nice case. The nut action was high, but I adjusted it and it plays nice. Has a pleasing warm sound, but it is not as loud as my Kanilea concert (maybe it is a bit overbuilt.) I think it sounds best with fluorocarbon strings (I think I have Oasis on it right now) and a low g. I had a pickup installed and mostly use it for jazz. Oh, I think they changed the fret marker placement to the 10th at some point after hearing the grumbling. That's where mine is.

I'm thinking that for the money, Ohana might be a better deal. I should say for my money.

Last edited:
I just corresponded directly with Eastman about archtops. They said they stopped making them "until they get the design right". I guess they didn't like the ones they had already made!

I bought an Eastman tenor about a year ago. It sounded nice in the store, but I was really attracted to the beautiful figured mahogany, and it came with a nice case. The nut action was high, but I adjusted it and it plays nice. Has a pleasing warm sound, but it is not as loud as my Kanilea concert (maybe it is a bit overbuilt.) I think it sounds best with fluorocarbon strings (I think I have Oasis on it right now) and a low g. I had a pickup installed and mostly use it for jazz. Oh, I think they changed the fret marker placement to the 10th at some point after hearing the grumbling. That's where mine is.

Good to hear that they moved the marker from the 9th to the 10th fret.

Yeah, Ohanas are a great value. I had a TK-38 that was great except when played loud. It sounded muddy when strummed hard. Upon reflection, I should have tried different strings before I got rid of it.

I went down to Maple Leaf Music in Brattleboro, VT yesterday and picked up an Eastman concert! 15% sale to sweeten the deal too.

Top Bottom