Stopping while ahead w/ UAS

Sanfe

Reaction score
I usually keep an eye out for a deal on ukuleles that I like. With some attractive deals popping up on the marketplace and elsewhere, I have been slow to react and, when they sell, I'm not as heart-broken as I used to be. I find this to be a good sign.

With this, I've come to realize that I like the ones I own. They each have their own sound and personality. I have enough that cover my bases: loud and in-your-face, not-as-loud but pretty sounding, vintage, newer, outdoor, one for my wife, one for each of my kids, Hawaiian, mainland, koa, mahogany, etc. (obviously some cover many bases).

I think I'm done. Acquiring more won't improve my playing or joy.

If I'm going to buy another instrument, it's going to be quite different to help expand my musical knowledge. (If only pedal-steels weren't so expensive . . .)

It's easier to stop when you're already drowning in a sea of ukes. :p

I agree, though, that there's a point when adding more is fun, but won't necessarily expand your tool set all that much. I have four that I play regularly (the custom tenor, the Opio concert now, the KoAloha LN pineapple, and my "beater", the Stagg UC80-S concert, which I grow more fond of every day), plus three others that I rarely touch (an acacia tenor, a 1920s soprano that I need to send to a luthier for some bridge repairs, and a plywood soprano that is just decoration). I accidentally destroyed a mahogany soprano I had (newish one, not vintage), which I kinda-sorta want to get a replacement for, possibly a Kiwaya since the Opio soprano only has 12 frets, but I'm thinking I'll just put the money toward getting the Lyon&Healy fixed.

Overall I'm in this "use what I have" place right now, though, with no burning desires. I already feel fortunate to have what I do have, and there is so, so much I, as a player, can learn and do to improve. But yes, UAS tends to strike unexpectedly, usually shortly after you think you're done. :)

Hey, how the heck does this help our dealers and luthiers?
JK....
Since I got my Cocobolo, I'm not drooling at other ukes as badly. I can't even come up with anything else I'd want bad enough to wind up divorced over.
My Ohana and my Kala are growing dust, I'll get them out whenever I think I'm tired of the cocobolo. The Kala hasn't even come out of the case in 5 days.
Maybe someday a tenor. 5 string? And it just might be a Cocobolo.

Did I say I like the cocobolo?

On a more serious not than my previous post, I'm finding now that whenever I think about another one, I stop and think a while and I realise that what I have at the moment covers everything I want and I'm even thinking of rehoming (=selling) a couple that I'm not playing anymore.

I'm still hankering after a custom and have the money for one but it's not that strong a want so it's just simmering on the back burner at the moment.

I was anti-UAS for about a year, but...

then I had the chance to buy another Pono, an MTD, for a great price.
I loved the ebony fretboard but the uke wasn't for me, so I sold it.

Then I heard some sound samples of a vintage Silvertone baritone and I fell in love.
With some patience and advice, I scored a great condition Silvertone bari and it blows me away.

Now I want a soprano.
I live on an island, so close to the beach that I can see the dunes and hear the waves break from my front porch.
There is no way I will bring either of my ukes to the beach, so that got me thinking that I needed a good plastic/outdoor uke.
(which I am on the prowl for)

I think after the soprano I should be set for ukes. (for now)

Half the trouble is really that there are four different core sizes, plus the hybrids. I think UAS gets generally more manageable when (or if) you are able to identify which of those you prefer. After that, at least in my mind, it would be really easy for me: get one in mahogany and one in koa. Done!

I find that question somewhat hard to settle, though, since I like different things about the different sizes. Right now I'm exploring whether the concert size works as a Goldilocks solution for me, which fortunately takes time. :)

I had thought that I needed a solid wood uke, like everyone else has, but I don't.

It might look good & sound a little bit sweeter, but at a price, & that is when my UAS came to an end.

I have more than I need & already some are not getting played, but I knew I would need to try each size, (tenor, soprano, concert in my case) before deciding what I actually needed.

There is no way I will bring either of my ukes to the beach, so that got me thinking that I needed a good plastic/outdoor uke.
(which I am on the prowl for)

You should check out the new and improved Outdoor Ukulele plastic soprano! - (I just bought a green one and I think it's kinda cool.) Oh yeah they're also made in the USA if that makes a difference to ya.

As players, we are lucky that there are so many great sounding, feeling, playing, looking ukuleles out there. Once I got a great one, I didn't feel the need to get any other great ones. I have high low G, so I feel done.

Top Bottom