Almost NUD! Ko'olau Pictures and Video from HMS!

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Noa Bonk just finished my Ko'oalu and Andrew from HMS just posted pics and a video on Facebook!

All my ukes from Hawaii are made with an indigenous wood ie koa or milo so that it reminds me of the instrument's origin.

The hard part is waiting for the uke but I already feel a connection since I know Noa and Andrew. For the last several years, I only purchase customs if I know the luthier as I want to show my support to them and I believe you get a part of their soul in each instrument.

SPECS
Front: European Spruce
Back & Sides: Curly Koa
Bindings: Darker Curly Koa
Purfling: Black, Red, Black
Fretboard: Bound Flat Madagascar Rosewood
Side Sound Port
Strings: Southcoast Low G
Finish: Gloss Nitro

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful Uke. Congratulations. Very nice.

OMG! You got the side sound-port. Congratulations. And if Kalei says it sings, it's all good.
Noa is one of the best.

For those iPad users, like me, that don't see the embedded video, here is the link.
Be sure to listen with high quality headphones.

https://vimeo.com/158184992

There is no cure for UAS.

Congrats Daniel you lucky buggah!....:) about time you get a Ko'olau....I saw the new MB at Andrew's shop but did not see your Ko'olau...maybe it was sent out already....did see it when Ryan was buffing it out a few weeks ago....waiting for your sound sample......

Lets see....two LfdMs.......two MBs.......when you getting a second Koo'lau ;)

All kidding aside congratulation on a beautiful instrument. I have listened to a lot of Koo'laus and the spruce koa combo has always been my favorite sounding one. Well done

OMG! You got the side sound-port. Congratulations. And if Kalei says it sings, it's all good.
Noa is one of the best.

For those iPad users, like me, that don't see the embedded video, here is the link.
Be sure to listen with high quality headphones.

https://vimeo.com/158184992

There is no cure for UAS.

from another person with 2 Moore Bettahs...haha
Geetee will never say this but he has one of the finest collections of High end Hawaiian ukes I have seen......

Congrats Daniel. You're amassing quite a collection. Quality over quantity. :)

Thanks guys! I decided to get a Ko'olau after playing Len's (Hawaii 50) and Greg's (Geetee) Ko'olau...Ko'olau truly belongs on the top shelf! My wife is from HI, so I've been fortunate to go several times...unfortunately, I've only played uke since 2011 so the prior years I used to get island fever real quick...not anymore!

Customs are personal so I like bound fretboard (don't see the fret ends) and high gloss finish. I love how there's purfling on both sides of the binding and side sound port to give a better response to the player. I love cutaways with the Selmer look being my favorite and then Florentine.

Simon and Dave, I had to beg Noa to make a flat fretboard! I tried a radius one at NAMM but could hardly tell. Setup is the key so I hope it's nice and low.

Dana, I know you know something about quality over quantity. You're the quiet sniper, snatching ukes without people knowing. ;)

Spectacular, Daniel. That is absolutely gorgeous. Hope to check it out in person someday!

Congratulations Daniel! I know you have been waiting a long time for this one.
Awesome wood choices! Hard to beat European Spruce and Curly Koa for a warm sound with clarity and crispness.
It sounds terrific.

Oh my gawd.....congratulations! They build some of the most imitated ukes in the world. If i were wealthy, I would HAVE to have one in my home. Insured, of course.
That is money well spent. Please come to TBUG and bring it and play it for us!:drool:

Aloha Danny,
Congratulations on the new koolau, it looks and sounds so sweet.. happy strummings :)

Wow that's a NICE uke! Just gorgeous... congratulations Dan!

Congratulations, Dan! This is a very special uke, and one of the few where I can really tell a difference when comparing to other videos, so vibrant and lively! Having had my Ko'olau for almost a year now, it has been my absolute favorite since day one. Stopped my craving for any others (at least in the tenor size...).

Top Bottom