I made a big mistake, looked at a K Ukulele

BB11

Reaction score
I went to a shop near Boston yesterday to look at a pono MT. It was too rigid (strings) for me, I had read that these Ukes needed a high tension string to bring the best out in them as they are built very tightly (in guitars we sometimes say overbuilt like in Larrivee or Guild of old).

So after looking at the Pono I looked at a Cordova (sp?), a Kala and then they put a Kamaka tenor in my hands, sure it is $1250 or more and I would not pay that but it felt great, with those nice lose to me black strings, it really is what I think lunatics like myself dream of.

So my other choice is the Opio, now that will run me just under $600 with case and all from dealers (more than one).....

Now I found what is called a used Kamaka HF3 Tenor, 2015, very nice condition, new condition actually, but it is selling for about $1030, probably can get it for $1,000. I am not sure if it is worth that much or if it would be nutty to buy this as a beginner although I have played guitar since 1964, poorly but good enough to know my chords and I understand woods and guitars very well and have wonderful ones to play.

So I am curious if the Kamaka is worth this and what people think of them, I seem to be reading only good things.

Thanks

BB

Last edited:
I have traditionally been in the camp of buying the best instrument you can afford. Buying a very good used instrument is generally a good way to go, providing that it is very good condition for the price.

As for value, I would think a Kamaka, or other K brand would hold more of it's value over time than some less expensive ukes.

From a guitar perspective a Gibson Les Paul will always be more valuable than an Epiphone. That said, you can probably find more buyers that can afford the Epiphone if you wanted to sell it in the near future.

$1000 is still a lot of money for a ukulele so it needs to be one that you really can connect with and won't regret buying after you think about it for a while.

John

Yes, $1000 is a lot of money, problem is accessibility here, I know the Pono is out, the Opio is still $600, a bit more than 1/2 price of the used Kamaka. Playability and what people find acceptable is very subjective, I may have to drive to that shop again and check it out one more time.

Well it becomes a slippery slope in some ways, and this isn't going to help...

There is a Kanilea Super Tenor for sale on Flea Market Music that was originally purchased at HMS. It is for sale for $850 plus shipping and Paypal fees.

Here is a video clip.

https://vimeo.com/112223729

As you see more the decision doesn't get easier.

John

Last edited:
Now I found what is called a used Kamaka HF3 Tenor, 2015, very nice condition, new condition actually, but it is selling for about $1030, probably can get it for $1,000. I am not sure if it is worth that much or if it would be nutty to buy this as a beginner although I have played guitar since 1964, poorly but good enough to know my chords and I understand woods and guitars very well and have wonderful ones to play.

So I am curious if the Kamaka is worth this and what people think of them, I seem to be reading only good things.

No, you are absolutely NOT nutty to consider a quality instrument like the HF3 as your first uke! I think that's the sane thing to do rather than starting with a sub-par instrument. It sounds as if you've already got a string instrument background and you know what you like when you hear/play it.

I'm a longtime Kamaka fan - it's all I play. I knew from the moment I picked up my first one that it was the sound and feel that I wanted. I own three of them now, with no real temptation to buy anything else.

As for whether it's worth it - the off-the-shelf MSRP is now around $1300 and from what I hear, it's going to go up again. While $1000 for a second-hand one isn't a *great* deal, it's fair, and there's something to be said for being able to try a uke out in person and know you like it from the start.

And, just an aside - another poster mentioned a Kanile'a for sale elsewhere. They're quality ukes and they have their fans, but to me they sound and feel very, very different than Kamakas. If it's a Kamaka that you like - don't try to substitute something else for it. K-brands are all well made, good quality ukes, but they all have their distinct personalities.

I went to a shop near Boston yesterday to look at a pono MT. It was too rigid (strings) for me, I had read that these Ukes needed a high tension string to bring the best out in them as they are built very tightly (in guitars we sometimes say overbuilt like in Larrivee or Guild of old).
BB

Hi BB,
I have never read that Pono needed high tension strings. Although I do like high tension strings on my Pono tenor per my finger-style playing.
I think I use less finger pressure to fret a higher tension string because of the resistance the tension creates in the string against the back of the fret. (anyone else want to chime in on this?)

Lastly, you stated:

I have played guitar since 1964, poorly but good enough to know my chords and I understand woods and guitars very well and have wonderful ones to play.
BB

Per your honesty, I will be honest:
An expensive uke isn't going to make you sound better, perhaps it might even bring out your flaws more.
Just like an expensive camera isn't going to make someone a better photographer.
Or a better set of golf clubs a better golfer, etc, etc, etc.

There are many good 300-400 solid wood body ukes worth looking at before purchasing.
Cocobola Ukes might be able to make a sweet custom uke for that price. (No affiliation, just thinking of finding you a cool, cost-effective first uke) By the way, I spent 3 months doing research before buying a Pono MGT.
Here is Cory playing a Pono MGT, they are $351 at HMS.
https://vimeo.com/82941281

That being said... if you have 1K to throw around, then by all means: Get that Kamaka and be happy.

Happy hunting,
Johnson =)

Thanks for the replies. What I have learned is that I am not going to buy something I have not heard and held. It is too much guessing. janeray, like you when I put it in my hands i loved how my fingers felt and I really liked the tone. Now to learn. Will post pics if I buy it.

Thanks Johnson. I know 1 thing from my guitar background, buy what feels and sounds good or it will not get played. I am not as bad as a player as I make out, i mostky strum, pick notes, love my '60's, '70's and some later music. I am retired now and view a new instrument as a way to keep sharp and have fun. The tax man was good to me this year.

Thanks Johnson. I know 1 thing from my guitar background, buy what feels and sounds good or it will not get played. I am not as bad as a player as I make out, i mostky strum, pick notes, love my '60's, '70's and some later music. I am retired now and view a new instrument as a way to keep sharp and have fun. The tax man was good to me this year.

Right on BB, good news about the extra scratch from the taxman.

Now that you have more free time you might check out estate sales, garage sales, pawn shops, other music stores, etc. You never know where you will find your uke.

Enjoy the quest,
Johnson

LOve my Pono concert, but I can still remember the day I played a Kanilea, side by side. The old Pono will never sound quite as good as it did before that comparison.

A $1000 uke is expensive. It's even more expensive if you buy a $500 uke, sell it for $300 in a few months and pony up another $700 to get the uke you really wanted.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with less expensive ukes and a lot of great options out there but it's best to really know what YOU want and figure out a plan to go get it. Either way, have fun!! :)

A $1000 uke is expensive. It's even more expensive if you buy a $500 uke, sell it for $300 in a few months and pony up another $700 to get the uke you really wanted.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with less expensive ukes and a lot of great options out there but it's best to really know what YOU want and figure out a plan to go get it. Either way, have fun!! :)

Yes it is, as is $600 or any amount, especially if it goes unplayed, let's hope if I do this it is the right thing to do.. At least I got to play one, better to me than buying blind, not good at that, did that with too many guitars that I had to send back. Sending back to Hawaii can get expensive.

At least I got to play one, better to me than buying blind

Says the wise man. I agree, if you can gets your hands on many ukes try them all.

Although, I took a dice roll on my Silvertone bari, an eBay auction, and scored a wonderful aged solid mahogany humdinger.
But that was for $100 not $1000.
Big difference. Big!

Words of wisdom! I swear, this should be a "sticky" in the Ukulele Beginners section. I think a lot of newbies don't feel that they merit a pricier uke at first, but if the funds are there and you like the uke - get it!

I am with janeray1940 100%!
If you can afford it, do not go cheap on any musical instrument.
Since you were a guitar player, you can already tell the different between mid level to high level uke. Get that Kamaka.
I just ordered the 100 anniversary model of Tenor size. Price went up to $1,490 already.

BB11, which store has the Kamaka tenor for a grand? I'd like to buy it, sight unseen. 😜😉😉

I have traditionally been in the camp of buying the best instrument you can afford.

I agree, but what I learned from KoAloha's Opio line is that it's not as simple as equating price with quality. Everyone knows that, but I think we're all a bit habituated to feeling that way on some level, and I sometimes find it challenging to free myself from that belief. I dealt with it recently when buying studio speakers, and I kept thinking there has to be a hook with a cheaper, highly rated pair of speakers that looked and sounded as good as the more expensive models, never mind that years of user feedback also confirmed the quality was great. I was still suspicious and almost paid more for something I figured is probably better because it cost more.

Back to ukes! After a week with the Opio concert, I feel that I would have a hard time finding another concert even for twice the price that I would feel is as good (sound-wise). It's frequently the bling that drives up the price, but that doesn't make an instrument "better". Like with all consumer products, prestige (that is: brand names) also has a price. If I have a product that I can charge $1500 for because the market is willing to pay that, I'll charge $1500 for it, whether or not it's equally as good, better, or worse than similar products offered for $900. I may even sell more of the product because of the higher price.

It's just all fairly hard to generalize, and a good portion of it is subjective also and relies on what you want and like.

Does this mean what i think it means............has daddy bought himself a uke :cool:

For the record I am in the camp of buy as good as you can afford. There have been a number of new people here asking the same questions and doing the same tning you have. Not one of them has said they regretted it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom