NUD: Moore Bettah whale & hibiscus concert

SeattleSean

Reaction score
Since NatalieS posted her octopus tenor today (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?119137-NUD-Moore-Bettah-honu-amp-octopus-tenor), I thought I'd share one of the siblings from the same batch.

This week I was delighted to take delivery of a concert model from Chuck, which has a Hawaiian theme focused on the whale and the hibiscus flower.

While Chuck may be most renowned for his tenor ukuleles, I'm sure you'll agree he also makes a mean concert size. I am attaching photos that Chuck had taken & sent prior to delivery.

I don't think I can add much that other Moore Bettah owners haven't already said. But, I'll just say that in addition to the beauty of the wood, the incredible details and the inlay work, it plays & sounds like a dream. I have never played a uke with a sound-port and I love how clear and articulated the sound is that comes through it, which gives instant feedback that helps me play more cleanly than I otherwise would.

I'd like to thank Chuck for building this beautiful instrument, and also for his friendship and great sense of humor. And, I'd like to thank my teacher Matt Dahlberg (http://www.mattukulele.com/) for helping to figure out the best configuration for me. I'm looking forward to many years of happy playing!

Attachments

• DSC_0046 (1).jpg
    DSC_0046 (1).jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC_0050 (1).jpg
    DSC_0050 (1).jpg
    93 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC_0049 (1).jpg
    DSC_0049 (1).jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC_0045 (1).jpg
    DSC_0045 (1).jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC_0044 (1).jpg
    DSC_0044 (1).jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 137
Congratulations, it's beautiful. I have a MB concert as well and love it!

Mitch

Aloha Sean,
Congratulations on your new concert mb, im drooling at your uke. . Wow wee
Yours and nats are amazing, happy strummings. .. if you ever want to sell, let me know :)

Sean, congratulations!! That is a gorgeous uke, and the inlay with the whale is really lovely. Enjoy getting to know your new baby!

Volume control in the soundport hole. That is a great idea. An absolutely beautiful instrument. Congrats.

Volume control in the soundport hole. That is a great idea. An absolutely beautiful instrument. Congrats.

Oh yeah, that is cool, isn't it?? My other ukuleles all have passive pickups, and it's awesome having an active pickup that I can adjust on the fly so easily, not to mention be able to change out the battery through the sound hold. Chuck has so many ingenious design ideas -- he should do consulting work for Apple! ;-)

Thanks Leroy and others for your nice words -- I'll make a sound sample one of these days and put it in this thread!

Congratulations. Great Uke just to look at. Maybe someday I'll get to play one. Is your Pickup the MiSi with the separate volume/tone control?

Welcome to the family!! I'm in Cerritos so hopefully there's an event where we can bring our ukes!

Last edited:
It's a beauty! A side sound hole -- I am a bit jealous. I didn't think to get one. They're awesome.
Welcome to the family!

Congrats Sean! You've got a beautiful, master crafted concert. Let's hear it.

Congrats Sean! It's fun seeing where all these instruments ended up.

gorgeous! nice to see Chuck makes a concert once in a while!

Wow....Congrats Sean.
I just love Chuck's one off designs. You have a unique concert uke there.
It's just gorgeous, and I bet it plays as good as it looks.
I love the side sound hole on my Cocobolo uke, I'm really glad I paid the price to get it.
Enjoy.....

Top Bottom