NUD: Hoffmann A-style Cedar and Maple Tenor

Recstar24

Reaction score
Just a quick sample, excuse some of the nail clicks you here, I really need to trim those things :) Loving the sound! Sample is with oasis warms and a fremont soloist low G

Last edited:
Sounds great! What is the neck like? Fat? Thin? Wide? Narrow?

I enjoyed your playing, as well as the sound of the ukulele.

Love that wood combo. You really got yourself another beauty there Ryan. After you get to know each other a little better I'd love to hear your take on the shape and added 'comfort' options. I already know that it sounds wonderful just like all the instruments that Jerry crafts.

Last edited:
Wow. Congrats. A Hoffman is definitely on my list at some point.

Very nice. But how does the sound get out? :p actually, that's an honest question. How does the lack of a front sound hole affect the sound, projection, etc.?

There are two side sound port holes. The projection on this thing is pretty intense, I had to really back off the mic as I was overloading it. It's definitely got a punch and low end kick to it for sure.

Wow! Incredible sound and great playing. What song are you playing in the second half of that sample?

What another new ukulele day, holy smokes congratulations again.. im glad i dont have UAS
HAPPY STRUMMINGS :)

Welcome to the ever growing community of Jerry's ukulele enthusiasts. Your playing and the rich voice of your new instrument are fantastic. I'm intrigued by the design with two side sound ports and no sound hole on the top. I'm sure that this improves the ability of the top to do it's job of vibrating more efficiently with added surface area and continuity of the surface. Jerry's continued innovation's continue to amaze me. If you think you love your new Hoffman now, just wait 'til you've had it awhile. Congratulations !

I really enjoyed your playing in the sound sample. The Uke sounded great also.

Wow! Incredible sound and great playing. What song are you playing in the second half of that sample?

In solitude by Daniel ho from his polani book.

Welcome to the ever growing community of Jerry's ukulele enthusiasts. Your playing and the rich voice of your new instrument are fantastic. I'm intrigued by the design with two side sound ports and no sound hole on the top. I'm sure that this improves the ability of the top to do it's job of vibrating more efficiently with added surface area and continuity of the surface. Jerry's continued innovation's continue to amaze me. If you think you love your new Hoffman now, just wait 'til you've had it awhile. Congratulations !

Regarding the top, that was my thought when wanting to get the a style. If the top is the most important part, the primary source of resonance, it seems to me that maximizing the top surface area would have noticeable benefits.

Amazing sounding uke and awesome playing! The clarity out of it is unbelievable. Btw what are you playing in the strumming part? I really like it.

First let me say I am a traditionalist. I think it's a funny looking thing. But, I have always thought Jerry Hoffman makes the very best ukuleles. The very best, by far.
Yours is no exception. Congrats to you Ryan.

First let me say I am a traditionalist. I think it's a funny looking thing. But, I have always thought Jerry Hoffman makes the very best ukuleles. The very best, by far.
Yours is no exception. Congrats to you Ryan.

Thank you Steve for being the first to plant the seed of boat paddle when I was first starting out. I originally thought they looked odd, especially the kayak, but over time the aesthetics of the ML style grew on me. Once HMS startEd carrying the Hoffmann brand and had a chance to hear the sound samples I was hooked.

First the ML, now an a style...here's hoping the bug to get a d style doesn't bite.

Amazing sounding uke and awesome playing! The clarity out of it is unbelievable. Btw what are you playing in the strumming part? I really like it.

Thank you! The strumming part is a version of Spanish Fandango from Aaron Keim's fingerstyle book. It's a personal favorite of mine and I use it pretty consistently for uke song demos.

Top Bottom