PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Low G string is this?

manfromtexas
03-09-2016, 04:25 PM
Does anybody know what kind of low G string this is on the blackbird demo video (posted recently on HMS)?

It looks gold in color. But then when the camera backs away a little it seems less so and I can't tell if it really is gold or if that's just the lighting playing tricks with my eyes

(Always on the hunt for a great new Low G string)

http://www.theukulelesite.com/blackbird-new-btu-carbon-fiber-tenor-w-radius-fretboard.html

janeray1940
03-09-2016, 04:27 PM
My guess would be Fremont Soloist (my favorite low G!) - they're a gold/brass color.

PereBourik
03-09-2016, 04:43 PM
Blackbird is using Oasis strings now. I like their Low G wound.

Soundbored
03-09-2016, 05:15 PM
On a standard, I really enjoy Augustine "Gold" D strings for my Low G. It mates well with a D'Addario Nyltech soprano set for C-E-A.

Ukulelerick9255
03-10-2016, 09:34 AM
My vote goes to Fremont soloist also...polished low G so little or no squeak....wish I could find a no squeak wound polished C string.

stevejfc
03-10-2016, 09:58 AM
Another vote for Fremont soloist

manfromtexas
03-10-2016, 10:06 AM
Well thanks much - I've been reading a lot about the Fremont soloist but haven't tried one yet.

The golden hue clinches it - I ordered a few today. It looks like a nice one!

Soundbored
03-10-2016, 10:14 AM
Well thanks much - I've been reading a lot about the Fremont soloist but haven't tried one yet.

The golden hue clinches it - I ordered a few today. It looks like a nice one!

Wow, $4 for one string is pretty expensive. And does "Fremont" even make their own strings? I think there are only 2 or 3 actual string makers in the USA. The rest rebrand someone else's strings.

strumsilly
03-10-2016, 11:57 AM
Wow, $4 for one string is pretty expensive. And does "Fremont" even make their own strings? I think there are only 2 or 3 actual string makers in the USA. The rest rebrand someone else's strings.
yea, pricey, but they seem to last at least 2x as long as other wound strings

janeray1940
03-10-2016, 12:36 PM
yea, pricey, but they seem to last at least 2x as long as other wound strings

And for concert ukes they're long enough for two strings so for me it's quite a deal!

pritch
03-10-2016, 03:10 PM
And does "Fremont" even make their own strings?

The consensus seems to be that most of the fluorocarbon strings started life as fishing line.

The Soloist packet is marked "Made in USA". The Fremont Blacklines "Made in Japan".
Worth are made in Japan. Aquila are made in Italy. Savarez are made in France.
Living Waters are "Made in Heaven" according to the packaging.:) The packaging also states "They are actually made in England".
On the packets I have available South Coast aren't saying. Nor are Ko'Olau.

I'm not quite sure what the word "made" means with reference to ukulele strings. Savarez f'rinstance quote "Alliance" as manufacturer of some of their material. Is the Alliance factory in France? Or do they import quantities of material and then cut and package it as instrument strings.

If anybody knows I'd like to read about it.