PDA

View Full Version : Drum sander adjustment

Kevs-the-name
03-10-2016, 10:02 AM
I was ‘lucky’ to find a cheap Axminster 16-32 drum sander (old version)

It is well used, but appears to do the job quite well.

However, (and there’s always a however!)

The minimum thickness level I can achieve is around 2.3mm. at it’s lowest point. Not suitable for what I wanted to it for.

Im hoping this can be adjusted but I am unsure how? does anybody have any experience with this machine please?

There is also some vibration, which I think is caused by levelling issues in my garage (I hope).

4strings4me
03-10-2016, 10:07 AM
I don't have any experience with that one in particular' but you could build a sled to put the pieces on. First quick solution that comes to mind would be to just put your plates on a flat board that will bump up tyre thickness of he material going thru.

Just an idea.

Rob-C
03-10-2016, 10:37 AM
Can you raise the conveyor table with shims?

Kevs-the-name
03-10-2016, 10:43 AM
Thanks guys.

Can you raise the conveyor table with shims?

I think this may be the most sensible option... I just need to find some something to 'shim with'
4strings: I thought of this but It would need to move the carrier and grip the wood to stop it spitting out.

Sometimes you can’t see the wood for the trees!
I just wondered if I was missing something with the adjustment.

Gary Gill
03-10-2016, 11:04 AM
Look for sanding dust built up that might prevent the full range of movement. Maybe a combination of dust and oil or grease.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
03-10-2016, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't bother with shims or anything fancy
Just run a flat slab of plywood (covered in sand paper to stop slippage) under your back, sides, and tops.
Done.

Allen
03-10-2016, 02:41 PM
Yes, don't overthink this. Clean it up. Make sure that the belt is tracking correctly, and do as Beau suggests.

Alain Lambert
03-10-2016, 03:16 PM
This look like the Jet drum sander.
Minimum thickness is supposed to be 1/32 in (0.8 mm)
So I would guess it is only some adjustment or cleaning.
Here is a manual for it in case you do not have it: http://www.ou.edu/aoi/images/JET%2016-32%20Drum%20Sander%20Manual.pdf

sequoia
03-10-2016, 06:13 PM
My idea: You are pretty close to final thickness. Just take it the rest of the way down with a plane and sandpaper to your target thickness at ~80 or less or whatever. You only have a couple thousands to go. The sander has done the heavy lifting already. No reason to think it is gonna take you perfectly home although that would be nice. Finish out by hand I say. Won't take long and perhaps you will develop some new muscles and get a tactile feel for the wood.

RolloP
03-11-2016, 05:43 AM
This drum sander is an MSRS model made by Axminster, some time before it was made by Jet.
The adjustment for lowering the sanding drum are two locking nuts -21 mm spanner required- which are located at the bottom of the threaded height adjustment rod.
Vibration may be due to wear in the drum bearings, depending on the use, or should I say misuse, of a previous owner.
Axminster still has spares for this model. If the drum vibration is excessive, I would suggest you contact Axminster Tools and speak
Richard Beer in their Service Dept..
The level adjustment between the drum and feed table is via thin metal shims located at each side of the feed table which are accessed by removing four "allen" bolts attaching the feed table to the main stand. Switch the shims to the required side to achieve an even
thickness across the sanded piece.
Good luck.

Kevs-the-name
03-12-2016, 04:19 AM
This drum sander is an MSRS model made by Axminster, some time before it was made by Jet.
The adjustment for lowering the sanding drum are two locking nuts -21 mm spanner required- which are located at the bottom of the threaded height adjustment rod.
Vibration may be due to wear in the drum bearings, depending on the use, or should I say misuse, of a previous owner.
Axminster still has spares for this model. If the drum vibration is excessive, I would suggest you contact Axminster Tools and speak
Richard Beer in their Service Dept..
The level adjustment between the drum and feed table is via thin metal shims located at each side of the feed table which are accessed by removing four "allen" bolts attaching the feed table to the main stand. Switch the shims to the required side to achieve an even
thickness across the sanded piece.
Good luck.

Thank you so much for this great information.
Very much appreciated.