aNueNue Africa Mahogany II Concert - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
What a great review Barry! That has to be the best looking production uke I've ever laid glassy eyes on.
I liked that uke well enough to buy it if I had the dough, and could put a pickup in it, assuming I could find Anue Anue. Nobody around here sells them. Our "uke" shops are pitiful, IMHO.

Yeah - they are not widely available GLOBALLY - a crying shame

Nicki,

The North Carolina Ukulele Academy has had them in stock from time to time. (alohau.com)

Kent's a top-notch guy and is worth contacting to see if any are in his store.

via who? I am just passing on what aNueNue told me - there are no authorised dealers in the US or UK. Always other channels, but may not be legit - suppose 'buyer beware' applies.

Nicki,

The North Carolina Ukulele Academy has had them in stock from time to time. (alohau.com)

Kent's a top-notch guy and is worth contacting to see if any are in his store.

Thank you!
Please note I said "If I had the dough". Having just bought a customized uke, I'm outta funds for ukes right now....maybe by the time there's a dealer nearby, I'll have it....

Certainly is - it's a gorgeous instrument!

I think aNue Nue has in the past had trouble with fakes on the internet. Possibly that's why they have the additional holographic sticker on the back of the headstock.
I have a Lani III tenor, great uke, faultless finish, I think aNue Nue are below the radar because of the lack of availability. I know when I bought mine in the UK, I had to wait 6 months for it, as the distributor had to wait to get a container full of orders before shipping across to the UK.
I had a pick up fitted, the luthier said there was nothing he could do to the uke to improve it!
A well kept secret, if you see one, check it out. They deserve to be far better known than they are.
h

I think aNue Nue has in the past had trouble with fakes on the internet. Possibly that's why they have the additional holographic sticker on the back of the headstock.
I have a Lani III tenor, great uke, faultless finish, I think aNue Nue are below the radar because of the lack of availability. I know when I bought mine in the UK, I had to wait 6 months for it, as the distributor had to wait to get a container full of orders before shipping across to the UK.
I had a pick up fitted, the luthier said there was nothing he could do to the uke to improve it!
A well kept secret, if you see one, check it out. They deserve to be far better known than they are.
h

anuenue is a chinese brand

most of the models are made in china

as far as i am concerned, it is just on the average

hard to think of foregin friends' high appraisal on this brand...

anyway happy uke

Why do you think it's average? Some detail?

I thought it was really really nice actually - and know many people outside China who have a high opinion of it.

To clarify - i have played a LOT of ukuleles. Yes it's made in the far east, and YES I know that can equal poor quality control.

However - I am not against everything made in the far east (for example, Pono) and consider this example to be excellent - in fact one of the highest scores I have given an instrument.

Last edited:
Why do you think it's average? Some detail?

I thought it was really really nice actually - and know many people outside China who have a high opinion of it.

To clarify - i have played a LOT of ukuleles. Yes it's made in the far east, and YES I know that can equal poor quality control.

However - I am not against everything made in the far east (for example, Pono) and consider this example to be excellent - in fact one of the highest scores I have given an instrument.

i am in china , and i tried some anuenue, which left nothing but so-so

so-so made , so-so intonation, so-so projection

pono made from indonesia, which is high quality, is toally uncomparable.

anuenue amm asr is ok, but around the price, i prefer pono or others

anuenue Africa Mahogany II (you mean?.. Papa II??CNY 1498), i prefer some high quality ukes around CNY 800...

I actually found this aNueNue to be one of the nicest built ukuleles I have reviewed.

No - it's not the Papa - the Papa II is one of their cheaper models - this is one of their more expensive.

And I own several Pono ukuleles too - I wouldn't say that it was 'totally uncomparable' at all.

Last edited:
Just curious: Is there any onlinestore that has them in stock at the moment ? Can't find it on the web

i am in china , and i tried some anuenue, which left nothing but so-so

so-so made , so-so intonation, so-so projection

pono made from indonesia, which is high quality, is toally uncomparable.

anuenue amm asr is ok, but around the price, i prefer pono or others

anuenue Africa Mahogany II (you mean?.. Papa II??CNY 1498), i prefer some high quality ukes around CNY 800...

From what I know aNueNue is a Taiwanese brand known mainly in China and Taiwan. Their low end models (under 100usd) are peceived as having consistent , good quality, though not considered best buy when China has many little known brands with similar specifications in lower price.

Their high end models , made in Japan, are well praised for its quality but the mid range ones do not fare too well among Chinese ukers.

No - they are well known further afield than that - used to be widely available in the UK, and today available in Europe and Oceania.

This isn't the Papa though, but nor is it made in Japan - so I dont know whether this is what you donsider to be high end or mid range. What I will say though is, this one very much impressed this reviewer!

Looks very fancy indeed!

Are curved backs a sign of a higher end uke you'd say?
My Timms and Gretsch have curved backs but my KoAloha does not, and that is most definetely a high end uke :), so it's a bit confusing...

No, I wouldn't say so necessarily - in fact they are becoming extremely common on cheaper ukuleles too.

Thanks for your reply Baz!

Yeah, even my first no-name chinese soprano that cost 40$ (it was overpriced) had a curved back...

Top Bottom