resonator vs banjo

ukeshy

Reaction score
Do resonator Uke's and banjo Uke have similar sound? Which has the Bluegrass tone of a banjo? I Am brand new and do not have the opportunity to actually play one before I probably order online. Any information would be helpful.

I don't have a lot of experience with either banjo uke or resonator uke. I do own an old banjo uke and I play it once in a while. I own a regular banjo and two resonator guitars as well.

In my opinion banjo ukes and resonator ukes have very different sounds. My Dixie banjo uke sounds a lot like a banjo, with the nylon strings generating a bit less bite than the steel strings on the regular banjo. The attack is sharp and loud, decay is quick. You will get closer to the bluegrass banjo sound with a banjo uke, but with a more old-time vibe. I've only played a couple of resonator ukes. I've heard a resonator uke sound a lot like a resonator guitar, except once again with a bit less bite due to the nylon strings. I've also heard resonator ukes that sound very much like their wood topped cousins. It is all in the quality of the resonator cone and the set up.

I hope that helps. Now I step aside for replies from people who know much more than I.

Last edited:
In my experience, the resonator and the banjo uke have a similar sound. Some resonators are all metal, and that affects the sound a lot. Those have more of a metallic sound then one with the wood body. Banjo ukes, because of their non-metallic strings sound like something between a uke and a banjo. You really can't get close to a real banjo sound unless you have metal strings. Metal strings have more tension, so you need to make sure that your banjo uke can handle that extra stress. I have heard of metal strings on ukes, but they seem rare. Between resonator and banjo uke, I would test a metal body resonator first to see if that is close to the sound you are looking for. The trick is to make sure that it doesn't sound too harsh.
–Lori

In my opinion, the short scale lengths and nylon strings prevent banjo-ukes and reso-ukes from sounding like their larger counterparts (and they don't sound similar to each other either). If you want a real banjo-y sound with the ease of playing a uke, get a 4-string tenor banjo (Recording King makes a fantastic one in their Dirty Thirties line, very affordable at around $250) and put it in Chicago tuning, DGBE (same as a baritone uke).

I have two banjo Ukes, and, while I like them, I'd rather have a banjo. Banjos are much more versatile, and I like the steel strings. I didn't know it when I got my tenor banjolele, but Gold Tone also makes a baritone which, I think, will sound more banjo-like.

The resonaters that I've heard have a metallic sound that I don't care for. I guess I'll save my money for five or six years and buy a National Steel, but I've only heard them on YouTube.

I guess it depends too, on what kinda music that you intend to play. I like folk music a lot. :eek:ld:

I've had a Gold Tone resonator which I didn't really care for. Definitely too brash. It was good-looking though (my wife liked that one). But I never bonded with it and got rid of it.
I've liked all 3 banjo ukes that I have/had - Deering concert banjo uke, Firefly, and a Waverly Street banjo uke.
A regular banjo would be too big for me.
But a tenor banjo would be good too if you really want that steel-string sound.

I have a National Triolian resonator uke (steel body), a 1920's Stella Banjo Uke, and a Firefly banjo uke.

They all have different sounds and feels, although the two banjo ukes are similar - the major difference is the Stella has the frets right in the neck and a tuneable skin head, while the firefly has a fretboard, and a synthetic non-tuneable head. (Not that I have any desire to change the tension on the Stella...)

I also have 5-string banjo.

I have played the Firefly with a bunch of Old-Time players for about 90 minutes before anyone realized it wasn't a short-scale banjo. To me, there is a major difference in the warmth of the tone a banjo uke has, because of the strings. But I don't really play them any differently.

-Kurt​

I have a Banjo-uke and a homemade resonator uke,and they have different
and very distinctive sounds. The B/U is harsher and the notes have very little
or no sustain at all; the reso can sing out for a few seconds, depending how
hard it is being played. I use both, respectively for different types of songs,
and keep the reso (in the main) for blues and/or rock songs,on which it works
better, for me!

If you really want to sound like a banjo, get a banjo.

But if you're willing to compromise so you don't have to learn new chords, a tenor-scale banjo-uke in re-entrant tuning is an OK substitute. I play mine all the time (Gold Tune BUT) with acoustic guitarists. I tried Gold Tone's baritone banjo-uke but found it too mellow. The higher tension of the tenor strung gCEA did a better job of suggesting a 5-string banjo.

I would not use a reso-uke (metal-boded or wood-bodied) for bluegrass music. A tenor banjo-uke would be a much better choice, in my opinion.

- FiL

For those of you familiar with both, which would say is generally louder? Also, is a fully metallic resonator ukulele louder than one with a wooden body?

It depends on how you play it, and - for the banjo uke - whether or not it has a resonator (which is a completely different thing from the resonator on a resonator uke).

I can change the dynamics of my firefly by holding it away, or tucking it tightly next to my body. For the resonator uke, it is a function of how hard I strum/pick. Neither has a pickup.

What are your intentions, if I may ask?

For those of you familiar with both, which would say is generally louder? Also, is a fully metallic resonator ukulele louder than one with a wooden body?

Banjo ukes, or banjoleles, are so loud, they are banned from our jam sessions, kinda like accordions are.
I've heard two metal resonators, they are way louder than any of Lil Rev's wooden MM resonator ukes. We don't ban wooden resonators. The guy who had the steel one traded it for a wooden one. We never suggested it.

Thanks, both!

I have no actual plans, mostly just curious and wanting to learn more about these two sub-types of ukes, and how they compare to each other. :) I'd like a resonator at some point, possibly a full metal one for the amazing looks, and I have pondered a banjolele at one point or another also, but there's no real hurry or pull at the moment. Just something for the future.

Top Bottom