WTB Entry Level Concert/Soprano

Status
Not open for further replies.

donutsandhorses

Reaction score
Hello! I'm looking to buy my first ukulele, preferably a concert though I'm open to sopranos as well. I've played guitar before so I'm not really interested in getting a $50 Kala soprano or anything, but since it's my first I'm going to try to limit myself to $150-200 (until I inevitably get UAS, haha). If you have any ukes you'd be willing to sell or advice on what to get, let me know! Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! If you're looking for an affordable solid wood instrument, I would highly recommend mainland ukuleles. The owners are great people, and the the uke will arrive ready to play with perfect action!

http://mainlandukuleles.com

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the response! The mahogany concert Mainland is definitely on my list.

KPKs ( http://pilikoko.com/) are hard to beat at that price point. My mahogany concert is hard to fault: easy playability, good projection, great sustain and clarity (comes with Worth strings), and the classic look. The person who sold it to me had--and preferred--the Acacia concert. Can't go wrong with either for <$200. On the cheaper end, the Islander laminate concerts are also great starter ukes for <$150.

On the cheaper end, the Islander laminate concerts are also great starter ukes for <$150.

Islanders are a great option, I have one ready to grab if I don't want to get my Kanile'a out of the case.

Kala ukuleles are not like buying a generic Jap no name guitar in the 80's. Of course if you only look at the $50 range you'll get only a $50 instrument. There is absoutly nothing wrong with them unless your shopping only for the label.

I have a great little SEM and a discontinued GAS I play everyday while my Koaloha concert and my spruce topped Kala concert sit in their cases.

I played Guitar too not very well though I own a late 80's BC Rich Warlock bought new, an 80's Aria pro2 bass and an old Acoustic 165 combo amp sitting in a Calzone case with casters so I'm no slouch to quality. Like the picture linked says "nobody was ever sorry they bought the best" but lets not talk like Kala only makes uninteresting crap.

No matter what ukulele you buy try to get one from a recommended seller as the level of service shown to me in the late 80's buying my Warlock from East Coast Music is well gone in todays world of online consumerism.

~alarino~

I have a Teton all solid mahogany soprano I would part with for $100 shipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom