Ukulele without head logo

Henning

Reaction score
Hello
now what is this?
I bought it at ebay and it was sold as a Gretsch ukulele.
It looks as a Gretsch but it doesn´t have the classic Gretsch logo.
Can anybody please explain why?

If you look at the part where the neck meets the body, as well as where the fretboard meets the top, there is a sort of black greyish deposit. It is hard and can´t simply be removed. What might that be?
Does anybody know?

It sounds indeed very nice even though I´ve just right now temporarily stringed it with 0,5 mm fishing line. :)

Best regards

DSCI1004.jpgDSCI1003.jpgDSCI1002.jpg

Last edited:
How does it sound?

Is the dark gray stuff the finish going bad or just years of dirt and grime?

~alarino~

How does it sound?

Is the dark gray stuff the finish going bad or just years of dirt and grime?

~alarino~

It´s got a very nice, pleasant and soft tone that is so comfortable to listen to. :love:
Even with this equal thick fishing line for each string it is suprisingly sensitive, considering that it is a standard uke.
(I´m not trying to secretely sell it. Just trying to carefully describe out of my rather limited knowledge of ukuleles).

Very difficult to tell whether the dark greyish deposit was there in the beginning. But as it is so hard and stuck I´d say I´d put a 99% probability it really was.
This deposit is also gathered around each fret on the fretboard.:confused:

Last edited:
It looks (so far as one can tell from pictures) as if a previous owner has sanded down the peghead and soundboard and refinished. The marks are remains of the old finish which they didn't quite sand away, and that would explain the lack of logo. This might be completely wrong, but that peghead in particular looks far too clean and even to be the original finish.

Top Bottom