Thoughts on the Pono Nui "Big" baritone

kissing

Reaction score
I played ukulele first... and I play guitar as well.

After getting into guitars, I had felt that it would make baritone ukuleles obsolete for me, since guitar is the same thing with:

-Bigger body
-Two extra bass strings

Resulting in a fuller sound, better suited to mainstream accompaniment, etc.

However, as I was practicing a song requested by a close friend to perform on his wedding, I made an interesting discovery.

I play the song much better on a baritone ukulele than on guitar

Contrary to my previous logic, having less strings actually added more flavour and a livelier beat to the song than having more strings!

This had made me go back to using 4-stringed instruments in situations I would lug a guitar around (eg: Church worship sessions). It made me look on the market for a new baritone uke, with particular interest in Pono. Then I revisited the Pono Nui - a baritone uke tuning (DGBE) on a Guitar ("tenor guitar") sized neck and body.

Previously I had dismissed this instrument as 'pointless'. I felt that for something that is that big and costs that much, a classical guitar would be superior. But now I have changed my mind. I can do more things on my baritone uke that on a classical guitar. Less strings makes my instrumental solos sound cleaner and it adds a great twinkle in my accompaniment that cuts through the mix.

So I pulled the trigger on this model:
http://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-bn-10d-baritone-nui-pro-classic-acacia-deluxe.html

And waiting for the wonderful folks at The Ukulele Site to install a pickup and set it up for me.

Does anyone else own a Pono Nui? Or anyone else have any thoughts or stories to tell about this unique instrument?

It appeals to me because it has the playability of an ukulele, but the advantages of a guitar of bigger sound (while still not being overly large).
Every recording I find of it demonstrates an amazing tone that blows me away

Last edited:
I have one of the first "Nui" Baritones ever made (the Acacia Deluxe model you linked to), and I like it very much, precisely for all the reasons you stated. I love how it falls between the categories, with the full sound of a guitar, but easy playability of an ukulele. This won't appeal to everybody, though, especially not to purists.

By the way, Pono has just released a more affordable version of the Baritone Nui, with all solid Acacia as well, but a satin finish, no binding, and a simple rope rosette instead of abalone (BN-1):

http://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-pro-classic-acacia-baritone-nui-bn-1.html

Pono has really done a great job with their baritones. I have never played the Nui but I have drooled over them on the ukulele site recordings. I think it's a great choice.

I got a spruce/rosewood Nui from The Ukulele Site in Nov of 2015 and I absolutely love it. I had some issues with the 'D' string breaking...but they sent me extra strings straight away and have had no issues since. Set up was awesome, my only regret was I didn't have a pickup installed and I'll probably bring it to the local Uke shop to have one installed.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I would love to try out the big baritone one day. With four strings, I can play chord progressions in any key, as it's far easier to play barre chords all around the fretboard. As a rhythm player, I can fill the guitar part in trad jazz or swing bands in a way I could never do on a six string guitar. It's easier to play solo too, or to accompany vocals.

The nui will be my Christmas present this year (I hope!) Great post about it, really captures what makes it special!

I love mine and I've already recorded several videos with it. Beautiful instrument!
I have the all acacia model.

Your wish is about to come true, Patrick! Pono is going to produce a slightly smaller steel string version of the Baritone Nui. Model name is Uku Li'i or UL4. It will fit right in between a regular Baritone and the Nui. Here are the first prototypes:

https://vimeo.com/theukulelesite/videos/search:ul4/

That's great, but I wonder why not just use the larger size of the Nui, just braced for the steel strings. Tenor guitars are on a bit of an up tick right now.

Oh, no ... looks like another stringed instrument is going on my gotta have list. It appears from the video that the 30 is spruce over rosewood and the 20 is probably cedar over mahogany. I love the sustain and volume of the steel strings. Does anyone have the dimensions and availability of these beauties ?

Bariukish: all specs and prices can be found on the homepage of Pono Guitars: http://ponoguitar.com/faq

Rather than a conventional tenor guitar, this new model is based on the size 5 "Terz" guitar. There are plenty of options for "regular" tenor guitars, so I like that Pono is addressing things a little differently. While tenor guitars usually have a long neck and narrow fretboard (1 1/4"), the new Pono model is closer to a baritone. With a scale length of 21.4" and a nut width common to ukes (1 3/8"), it's the perfect gateway for ukulele players to steel strings. Much easier to fret a chord like 2220 cleanly on this (tenor guitars were originally meant to be tuned in fifths, like a mandolin, hence the narrow string spacing).

Bariukish: all specs and prices can be found on the homepage of Pono Guitars: http://ponoguitar.com/faq

Rather than a conventional tenor guitar, this new model is based on the size 5 "Terz" guitar. There are plenty of options for "regular" tenor guitars, so I like that Pono is addressing things a little differently. While tenor guitars usually have a long neck and narrow fretboard (1 1/4"), the new Pono model is closer to a baritone. With a scale length of 21.4" and a nut width common to ukes (1 3/8"), it's the perfect gateway for ukulele players to steel strings. Much easier to fret a chord like 2220 cleanly on this (tenor guitars were originally meant to be tuned in fifths, like a mandolin, hence the narrow string spacing).

That's why I wish they would make a steel string Nui. I have a tenor guitar and love it, but it does have a very narrow fretboard and it can be difficult. I also like the longer scale length. In essence, I guess I am just looking for a tenor guitar with the wider neck of a uke.

If I'm reading their "specs" table correctly, the steel-string UL4 models have a 1 3/4" nut width. Pretty interesting...

If think you are reading about the 6 string being 1-3/4"

It says " The neck width of our tenor guitar both nylon and steel are 1-3/8" at the nut (instead of 1-1/4)". That is something Rakelele and myself really emphasized when we talked to John and Andrew about this. Make the nut width the same 1-3/8" that we ukulele players are accustomed to.

Sorry to highjack your "baritone nui" thread Kissing. I think they are a fabulous instrument and I really look forward to your review.

Maybe Rakelele can start a seperate thread on the steel string tenor guitar with that video clip attached.

Last edited:
I'm looking at the table of
"Pono Guitars Models and Specs 2016 Retail" for
"Parlor 'Uku Li'i 4-String (Steel String)" under the column "Nut Width"

I'm looking at the table of
"Pono Guitars Models and Specs 2016 Retail" for
"Parlor 'Uku Li'i 4-String (Steel String)" under the column "Nut Width"

The one you are referring to is the 6 string

This is copy and pasted from Ponos FAQ section

Q - Is the neck on the UL4 steel string similar to Tenor Guitars of the past?

A - No. For most of our instruments we make what we want to play, and not always what was traditional and acceptable in the past. Tenor Guitars from the 1950's and 60's had a narrow neck, and thin strings. After many years of consideration we decided to do our own style of a steel string Tenor (including the BN nylon string Tenor Guitar). And this includes a wider neck and heavier strings. The neck width of our Tenor Guitar, both nylon and steel string, is 1 3/8" at the nut (instead of 1 1/4")

The one you are referring to is the 6 string

Sorry, but nope. I'm looking at the specifications table, specifically the rows for models UL4-10, UL4-20, UL4-30, and UL4-40; and the column labeled Nut Width.

Good idea. I normally don't care for the baritone, but of course, Corey makes this one sing. The clawhammer stuff I've heard Ken Middleton and others play show me what a bari is for.
Plus, you're carrying around a LOT less weight than a guitar. Sometimes less is more.

I'm ready to order, when are they in? Are the steel strings strung with Chicago tunings? I wonder if they'll make the neck chunky like the ukes are?

Top Bottom