Kamoa or Ohana ?

frigiliana

Reaction score
Hi i am trying to decide between these two ukulele's both Grand Concerts with Spruce tops . I live in UK so my choices are within Europe as shipping and taxes inflate the cost , any way i would appreciate any opinions from the members . The Ohana would cost me $425 and the Kamoa $335
Kind Regards Dave

Ohana CK75CG Concert Ukulele Solid Spruce
Screen Shot 2016-03-12 at 13.25.25.jpgScreen Shot 2016-03-12 at 13.26.28.jpg
Kamoa 500-GC

Not a fan of how spruce sounds, but that Ohana is one beautiful uke. Wow.

Every Kamoa I've played has been wonderful. I especially liked the green one. . I feel it boils down to where you buy it as either one is a good choice

My local uke shop got a shipment of Kamoas a few years ago. I found them all to be overbuilt, heavy, and (most importantly) they sounded dead. Ohana are typical factory ukes; nothing special, but sufficient. Personally, I'd either save more or find something better second hand.

I agree with Tigeralum; better choices would include the KoAloha Opio, Martin Ck1, Mainlands, Kala. All in your price range. Google Hawaii Music Supply and check out their extremely helpful website.

The OP said "I live in UK so my choices are within Europe as shipping and taxes inflate the cost." That excludes many of the choices US buyers have.

Frigiliana, are you near the Southern Ukulele Store? Is that where you'll be buying from? It looks like that's where your photos are from.

And your budget is between 200 to 300 pounds? If so, then your choices are mainly from this list;
http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/Category/962001fd-813d-4254-ba27-85fa36c078ba/£151-£250

…but include just a few from this list;
http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/Category/d2af19f4-7158-497e-be51-f0aa6aad27ab/£250

Is that right?

Last edited:
Why do you think Kala is a better choice than Ohana? They are very similarly priced, chinese factory produced Ukes.

As long as you have a dealer who can set it up for you, or you are comfortable doing it yourself, they are both fine, entry level ukes.

Thanks for all the feedback , Futurethink unfortunately i'm not near Southern Ukulele store but i have been to Omega music and will be going to Eagle Music to look at the Ohana , the Kamoa is an online store in Italy so that i would be taking a chance on .
EmmaQ i've not heard of Opio so i'll check them out .
Tigeralum that's a shame about the Kamoas as they look to be a decent Ukulele but as i've only watched youtube videos and read about them i'm not coming from a hand on perspective .

My budget as has been said is around £300 .
Would the Kanile'a Islander FMARM-4-T Solid Spruce Top Tenor Cutaway rate higher than the two i have chosen ? It's pushing my budget though.

Reason i've chosen a Spruce top is i play with about 20 friends and my cheap Kala Mahogany concert Ukulele gets drowned out by all the other Ukes .

http://www.southernukulelestore.co....nder-FMARM-4-T-Solid-Spruce-Top-Tenor-Cutaway

Last edited:
Eagle Music is a Mainland dealer, and there appear to be plenty of Mainland instruments within your budget. Their reputation seems to be good. Sounds like an enjoyable shopping day!

Eagle music are very good. I've not bought a ukulele from them but I bought a Melodeon some years ago and they were very helpful and gave me time and space to try instruments out. I never really took to the melodeon but that's another story. I've bought other things from them since over the internet and delivery was always prompt so I can recommend them.

I have bought ukuleles from Omega Music and again, I've found them friendly and helpful. So I wouldn't hesitate to buy from either.

When you go, even though you have something you're considering, keep an open mind as you may find something you like better. That's happened to me before now.

I own two Ohana ukes and love them both. My vote is for the Ohana. It is gorgeous looking, too.

My apologies ZappCatt! As soon as I wrote that, I knew I had made a mistake. My 2nd mistake was not correcting it immediately! I think Ohana is ever bit as good as Kala.

Last edited:
Really appreciate the time you've all taken to reply , i will definitely check out the Mainland models at Eagle Music they weren't even on my radar just shows you it's good to talk .
Am i correct that the Mainland Ukulele's are made in Indonesia ?

What is the difference between a concert and a grand concert?

The KoAloha Opio is available in Europe. Andreas of gute-ukulele.de has a few in stock (all three sizes). The concert is €499, though, so that may be outside of the desired price range (it's the same you'd pay if you imported one from the US, though, probably cheaper even).

I'm a Kala fan, I like their feel, so my only relevant advice is to buy from one of the respected stores, & if possible try them all out.

(Of course you could buy an electro acoustic & belt amp to get yourself heard above your friends. :) )

You mentioned wanting to buy a spruce top because you play with 20 other people and your mahogany Kala concert gets drowmed out. I am afraid with those numbers of people playing any uke you own will get drowned out. I attend regular uke jams and even my loudest uke dissappears in the mix.

Now please don't let that stop you from buying another uke. Lord knows I have bought them just because the sky was blue that day. Adding a spruce or cedar top uke to what you already have will give you a pleasing sonic variety. As other have said buy it from a reputable dealer that will do a set up for you

since you want volume, the Kamoa with the spruce top and maple body should be quite loud. Too bright for me, but for you, it might work. The E3 series in red would stand out. Or go for a resonator or banjo uke.

I bought my pono acacia from SUS, top drawer company to buy from ,i bought it online after speaking to them great set of guys ,very knowledgeable. Eagle music and omega are also brilliant guys to buy from BTW I am sure pond would fit your price range happy buying....

Thanks once again , does anybody have any comments on the build quality of the Kanile'a Islander series built in China i believe ?

Top Bottom