Make Your Own Pickguard!

rclifford13

Reaction score
I received this gorgeous Permacaster (TM) made by Rob Dick of Jupiter Creek Music in South Australia back in 2007.

permacaster2.jpg

A couple of days ago, I thought to myself - it's already got the classic telecaster shape - why not add a telecaster style pickguard?

One trip to the hardware store to buy some materials, and three hours with a Stanley knife later...

Image003.jpg

The two pickguards are made out of a chequered bathroom tile material that I got for 98c.

Image007.jpg

The photos are not great quality, but you can see that (especially with the black pickguard) they really catch the light and shine brilliantly.
Not bad for 98 cents for the pair!

Image009.jpg

Mass produced pickguards soon coming to a music store near you....

(PM me if you want more info on making your own pickguards).

Rob

Last edited:
Best source of inexpensive but nice pickguard sheets I've found are at guitarfetish.com. 7 or 8 bucks will provide enough for 2 or 3 ukes depending on size of guard(s). I'm eying some tortoise and pearloid, maybe some black stuff to put on a "blues" uke I'm shopping for.

That is waaaay cool, man! I used to do that with an old SG I had. My fave was made of that grayish black carbon composite material used on lightweight aircraft, boats, etc. Maybe not very heavy, but totally metal. Keep it up, looks like no limit here. How's that teleuke play, BTW?

Great job! Another idea that makes a great pick guard... A piece of clear lexan from Lowe's or home depot can be purchased cheaply. After you cut it out, spray the back side with the color of your choice. The other side will be a neat shiny finish. If there are any radio control hobby stores in the area, you can purchase paint that is specifically made for lexan. They even sell curved scissors that are made to cut the lexan.You can do fades or whatever! Not knocking your top notch work in any way! Just thought I would chime in!

Top Bottom