PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if this is where I should post pics, Kamaka HF-3 Tenor

BB11
03-12-2016, 09:39 AM
i cannot figure out how to post all of my shots, so I will be selective

robinboyd
03-12-2016, 09:41 AM
It's beautiful. I love the simplicity of Kamaka ukes.

BB11
03-12-2016, 09:46 AM
It's beautiful. I love the simplicity of Kamaka ukes.

Thank you robinboyd

DownUpDave
03-12-2016, 12:42 PM
You could do the posting in the Uke Talk forum, that is where most of these kinds of posts go. But it is just fine here, you have started here so it's a good spot. You can add more pics with subsequent posts.

Well........how do you like it, how do you like it. Is the string tension just like the other one you tried. How is the sound, as sweet as you had hoped for???? Give us your impressions.......has it found a permanent home.

It is beautiful that is for sure.

BB11
03-12-2016, 01:03 PM
You could do the posting in the Uke Talk forum, that is where most of these kinds of posts go. But it is just fine here, you have started here so it's a good spot. You can add more pics with subsequent posts.

Well........how do you like it, how do you like it. Is the string tension just like the other one you tried. How is the sound, as sweet as you had hoped for???? Give us your impressions.......has it found a permanent home.

It is beautiful that is for sure.

It is staying right here. The tension may be a bit more than the other, first thing I noticed, not sure how old the other ones strings are, these strings are from December. It is nice on my hands and fingers so far, the neck is slimmer than tha Pono, both nice. I like it, i found some chords, no idea yet what they are, played them, loved the tone and feel....yup, a keeper, i like it. So yes, i think the tone is sweet, nylon strings i believe, these are warm and bright, does that make sense? I will find some chords so zi can play some songs i know, nothing to hard, into the mystic may be a good one to start with.

Kyle23
03-12-2016, 01:26 PM
Beautiful uke. I'm pretty jealous that you skipped out on the awkward, low end crappy uke phase most of us go through at the start. You went right for the top shelf.

BB11
03-12-2016, 01:44 PM
Beautiful uke. I'm pretty jealous that you skipped out on the awkward, low end crappy uke phase most of us go through at the start. You went right for the top shelf.

Kyle, it was close. I got seduced.

PhilUSAFRet
03-12-2016, 02:57 PM
Nice Kamaka. I never particularly wanted one............until I got one!!!!!!! Congrats.

janeray1940
03-12-2016, 02:58 PM
Excellent choice and lovely uke! Welcome to the Kamaka Klub.

Jim Hanks
03-12-2016, 05:32 PM
The tension may be a bit more than the other, ....i think the tone is sweet, nylon strings i believe, these are warm and bright, does that make sense?
You sure picked a nice one to get started with. :drool:

If you find the tension too high for your liking you can tune down a step to Bb. That's my favorite tenor sound and feel. Or there are some lower tension strings available like from Southcoast.

Warm *and* bright? Those are usually opposites on the tonal continuum.

DownUpDave
03-12-2016, 05:36 PM

If you find the tension too high for your liking you can tune down a step to Bb. That's my favorite tenor sound and feel. Or there are some lower tension strings available like from Southcoast.

Jim regarding warm and bright.....kinda like jumbo shrimp, sweet and sour soup or hard and chewy.

Mivo
03-12-2016, 09:54 PM
I still like "sparkly" to describe a mellow-ish (warm) sound with tonal highlights. :)

BB11
03-13-2016, 03:38 AM

Yup, opposites gor dure, maybe i am looking for sweet as the superlative.

BB11
03-13-2016, 03:39 AM
I still like "sparkly" to describe a mellow-ish (warm) sound with tonal highlights. :)

There you go, thanks.

cml
03-13-2016, 09:22 AM
Very nice uke BB, congratulations! Looking forward to reading about your progress on it!

Rakelele
03-13-2016, 10:37 AM
Congratulations, BB! Looks like you've hit the jackpot! Very nice instrument to start out with. I'm sure it was a good decision to pay a little more in order to get exactly what you wanted.

BB11
03-13-2016, 01:33 PM
Thanks cml and Rakelele

rappsy
03-13-2016, 01:37 PM
Congrats and welcome to the Kamaka Family.

70sSanO
03-14-2016, 09:06 AM
It is staying right here. The tension may be a bit more than the other, first thing I noticed, not sure how old the other ones strings are, these strings are from December. It is nice on my hands and fingers so far, the neck is slimmer than tha Pono, both nice. I like it, i found some chords, no idea yet what they are, played them, loved the tone and feel....yup, a keeper, i like it. So yes, i think the tone is sweet, nylon strings i believe, these are warm and bright, does that make sense? I will find some chords so zi can play some songs i know, nothing to hard, into the mystic may be a good one to start with.

The only reason, and I mean only, that I am playing ukulele today is because in 2007 I realized that the chord shapes are the same as guitar shapes. If I had to learn entirely new shapes I would have passed on it back then.

Just start playing guitar chords without the 2 bass strings. The tuning is in a different key so your E is now an A, G is now a C, etc.

The real fun starts when you realize that you can construct chords that go over 4 or 5 frets.

John

BB11
03-14-2016, 12:10 PM
Congrats and welcome to the Kamaka Family.

Thank you.... I have to remember that I can be comfortable anywhere with it...

The only reason, and I mean only, that I am playing ukulele today is because in 2007 I realized that the chord shapes are the same as guitar shapes. If I had to learn entirely new shapes I would have passed on it back then.

Just start playing guitar chords without the 2 bass strings. The tuning is in a different key so your E is now an A, G is now a C, etc.

The real fun starts when you realize that you can construct chords that go over 4 or 5 frets.

John

John, starting to understand that a bit, it is the fact that all are 5 steps higher that I am learning about now.. so the shapes are the same but the chords are different, that is the one thing that will take me time, but yea, I can sure reach some shapes that were never possible before. This will be fun.

70sSanO
03-14-2016, 03:43 PM
When I'm not sure, a primitive quick and dirty way for me to remember is to think of the notes on a E bass string on a guitar and then five steps up is always the note on the same fret on the A string.

Open E is A (E shape is an A chord on the uke).
First fret F is a Bb (F shape is a Bb chord on the uke).
Second fret F# is a B.
G is C chord.
G# is a C# chord.
A is a D chord.
Bb is an Eb chord.
B is an E chord.
C is an F chord.
Etc.

So you see music with chords, you just transpose it. After a while it becomes second nature, well until you back to the guitar for a bit.

John

Added: It works the same on the E, A, and D strings if you want to just use the first 5 frets.

Nickie
03-14-2016, 04:06 PM
Yeah, that's pretty. Congratulations. Good idea starting at the top of the ukulele food chain, dessert! Kamakas sure are yummy.

BB11
03-14-2016, 04:19 PM
When I'm not sure, a primitive quick and dirty way for me to remember is to think of the notes on a E bass string on a guitar and then five steps up is always the note on the same fret on the A string.

Open E is A (E shape is an A chord on the uke).
First fret F is a Bb (F shape is a Bb chord on the uke).
Second fret F# is a B.
G is C chord.
G# is a C# chord.
A is a D chord.
Bb is an Eb chord.
B is an E chord.
C is an F chord.
Etc.

So you see music with chords, you just transpose it. After a while it becomes second nature, well until you back to the guitar for a bit.

John

Added: It works the same on the E, A, and D strings if you want to just use the first 5 frets.

Yup, thanks, great tips.

BB11
03-14-2016, 04:20 PM
Yeah, that's pretty. Congratulations. Good idea starting at the top of the ukulele food chain, dessert! Kamakas sure are yummy.

Thanks, I really did not know anything about them, i just like it. I guess i did good.