Help Installing Kerf Linings in StewMac Kit!

mwaller

Reaction score
:confused: Ok, I give up... the pre-bent linings are darn near impossible to install flush with the sides of the uke! Clothespins do not provide anywhere near the pressure required to make a tight joint.
Where can I get some suitably small kerf linings to replace the pre-bent linings? Are kerf linings easier to install than the strips provided in the StewMac kit?
Thanks!
Mika

Use a lot of clothespins. Side by side worked for me. Start on one end, work toward the other. If you put glue on the lining itself, that should moisten it enough to give more flexibility.

Scroll half way down this page to see how many clothespins it took on mine: http://www.westhillswood.com/ukulele-build.html

If that's not doing it, step up to 1-inch spring clamps or basic office supply springs clamps. You'll still need a lot of them to get the entire lining firm against the side.

Buy a bag of rubber bands. Wrap them around the clamping end of the clothespin. This will increase the clamping pressure greatly, and is a lot cheaper than spring clamps.

Brad

Thanks, guys. Are 1/4" x 1/4" kerf linings an acceptable alternative on a soprano, or should I stick with the solid linings?
Mika

Stick with whats in the kit. I sometimes flip the sides onto a piece of wax paper put the prebent kurf in then push down so they are flush. Quick long clamp and then flip and add the Landry pins works like a charm for me and keeps the sanding down to a minimum.

If you are intending to bind the instrument, I'd go with 3/8 x 7/32, otherwise the 1/4 x 1/4 is fine.

Brad

Top Bottom