Aquila Red's Revisited

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
I have tried Aquila Red's twice. Both times I had strings break. Last time I posted here and Mimmo commented and was good enough to to send me a replacement set of high g. I think further comment is warranted to be fair.

First,thanks to Mimmo for caring enough to send the strings.
Second, got new formula and did proper install and pre stretch......and gotta say I really like them.

Key is pre stretch, watch the pressure points - nut, saddle and tuner holes. Mine are on a Koaloha Opio tenor and this what I did.....

Used ties blocks at tie bridge. Stretched strings by pulling straight up gently along fretboard in direction of tuners. Did a light first wrap around tuner to make sure no sharpe edge in tuner would cause an issue. Then did about four wraps. Then when tightening strings I didn't let the string slide in the nut slot but ride on flat edge on the nut. Kinda like what a pin nut from Hoffman Ukuleles would slide over. Check video on Aquila site.... It details installation very good on standard slotted nut.

Strings settled in to tuning in 2-3 days. About a week or so in strings really started to sound good. They have a bright open sound on my Opio. Strings have a cool texture. Strings are very thing......and play very easy. Action on my Opio is super low thanks to great set up my Joel at HMS.

Finally, while I'm not a fan of regular Aquilas I do like these Red's and I do like the Lava's. Thanks Mimmo and Aquila for pushing the envelope and developing new stuff

I've put Reds on a couple of concerts and haven't had any problem with them. High G on one and low G on the other. After reading about other people's problems, I tightened and tuned the strings as much as I could before tucking the strings into the nut slots.

I have tried the Reds a couple of times. Last time was over a year ago. Both times the A string broke. I am tempted to try them again on a solid acacia ukulele. They did sound great on my other Uke before the string snapped.

I couldn't resist so when ordering some new strings, I put two sets of reds in the shopping cart as well! Will let you know how it goes in a couple of weeks ;).

I believe tightening them almost to pitch before tucking the string into the nut slot is a key. Pressure points.....if you can reduce exposure you can eliminate potential issues. It's very easy to do. And yes, IMHO they sound good. I had a set on my Pono AT and they sounded good. Worthy of another try for many is my point....

I tried the Reds several times. Always breaking a string and on different ukes. Sometimes right away, sometimes a few days later. I followed the video Mimmo made on how to mount and stretch them exactly. I had Mimmo send me the latest version as replacements, and they still broke. I liked them very much and wished the worked out for me, but they didn't. Glad to hear they are working for you though.

There are lots of great strings out there. i keep trying many to find what works with each different ukuleles. Once I found the pressure point and understood......Red's are now another useful good sounding option. Where I live I have to get most string mailed in....only stocked strings I can get at guitar stores is Aquila's, D'Addario and sometime Martin 620. Lucky more me I have ukuleles that like The later two........ Funny can't get the local dealer to bring in Red's.......just got them to up to bring in Lava 's. Have you tried Lava's.
So Many strings to try, isn't that half the fun!

I also have had great "luck" with the new formula Red's.

While in Hawaii, I had a set installed on my solid top Acacia concert, and played it hard for the two weeks while there. As a beginner, I would say that I am harder on strings than a more gentle/talented touch. I often hit to hard, and dig into the strings more than someone who knows what they are doing. They were actually installed in a too small nut, so a significant portion of the string was stripped out as being pulled through the nut upon install. This was remedied, and they are still going strong a month plus later(though I do not play this much at home)

When I returned, I (personally) put on a set on my All Solid Acacia Tenor and have been abusing those strings for about 2 weeks and they are holding strong. This was the first string change I had done, so I got the strings yanked and twisted and incorrectly threaded into the tuners several times.

I think their new formula is pretty strong to handle all of my man handling. Best of luck to anyone who tries them again!

Red on solid Accica is the best match! I really like them . I sold that uke last year but the red strings never left my mind. I just wish I work up the courage to try them again. A pack date 2014 is in my procession. Everyday I take it out then put it back in the drawer. May be one day ....when I get over the string snapping horror!

The first sets of reentrant reds I ever used are marked 2/2014. I have had zero issues with the reentrant soprano sets from this time.

I just purchased a KA-GAS and the set of reds I put on it are just starting to get their sound. I have a set on my Risa soprano stick as well as my KA-SEM since around 2/2014. ;)

I bought sets for my concerts my tenor and even an elusive set for my banjolele which I haven't mounted yet. I bought a few Lava sets as well but haven't mounted any of those yet either.

Even when they are not on sale they run $5.50-$6.00 for complete sets before shipping through most online string sites, single low G's run around $2.

~alador~

My son has a set on his ukulele for the last two years. He chose them 'because I like that colour', but they actually sound good, play well and got compliments at Brukulele last Saturday from some seriously good players.

Okay so I re-strung the uke with the reds, and knowing that they can be fragile I ordered two packs to be safe.

GCE went fine, but the first A-string got some serious wear despite me following Mimmo's instructions to the letter. Thus I broke the second pack of strings to use that A-string, but yet AGAIN it got some serious wear. I tuned to pitch on the nut rather than in the slot as suggested, but it still looks like this...

How big are the odds of this one snapping?
And if it does, can I use the spare G-string from the second set as an A-string, they look to be the about the same diameter.

Here's Aquilas instruction:
http://www.aquilacorde.com/blog/265...strings-how-to-install-them-properly/?lang=en
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGH1d8IP_Us

Attachments

• a_string.jpg
    a_string.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
What bit the string like that?

You say "I tuned to pitch on the nut rather than in the slot as suggested" which make me believe you let the string drag on the top of the nut.

The instructions say "bring the string up to tension while holding it above the nut slot." "While continuing to bring the string up to pitch, continue to hold it above the nut slot, and only drop it into the nut slot.
when you are checking tuning."

The video is a bit confusing I use my thumb as he does to hold the string above the nut slightly when tuning as shown half way into the video. I do not let it drag on the top of the nut or push down in front of the nut as he does when first putting it on. I would think there is a very sharp edge on the top of your nut or the slot depending on when the damage happened.

Who can tell if or when it will break? I do know they stretch quite a bit in the first couple days. Enough to eventually wind around the post... maybe? Play them be gentle tuning up and if it breaks you will be the first to know.

~good luck~

Aye, I did let it drag on the nut - it looked like that was how he did it in the video. Basically my own damn fault then :p... I'm not too bothered by it, you live and learn, but it's kinda hard for me to get Reds here in Sweden at a reasonable price and I ordered only the two packs this round. Good thing I ordered a regular super nylgut set as well, I will be changing to that today most likely. Cant risk the string breaking (which it's probably a lot more likely to do due to the chafing) as I play and sing a lot for my 10 month old daughter. Needless to say, she is everywhere and nowhere and is often trying to grab the strings and is constantly trying to get the uke :p. Dont want a string to snap and hit her in the eye!

I've put reds on a couple of concert fleas - never had a problem with them snapping - perhaps the zero fret design helps with that? I love the feel of the reds and enjoy the mellow tone.

I've put reds on a couple of concert fleas - never had a problem with them snapping - perhaps the zero fret design helps with that? I love the feel of the reds and enjoy the mellow tone.

This is truly a huge encouragement .
I pulled out the red so many times , looked at my Fluke then told myself forget it.
I may give it a go ......

Just want to update you that my fluke has a new set of red as of now. Nothing snapped (not yet), stay in tune so far. Very happy and they do project nice volume. I followed your instruction above. It work!

Interesting. I put Reds on my tenor Fluke with zero fret design and a string snapped. From following Mimmo's on line video I thing it snapped at the tuners. A rough edge on the upgraded Pegheds. On Opioi tenor I was really careful on all pressure points and they are working fine.

Interesting. I put Reds on my tenor Fluke with zero fret design and a string snapped. From following Mimmo's on line video I thing it snapped at the tuners. A rough edge on the upgraded Pegheds. On Opioi tenor I was really careful on all pressure points and they are working fine.

I am too amenture to understand pressure point and have snapped enough red strings even from sitting untouched inside the case. LOL
I like them but the snapping (especially the A) is really discouraging . So far it is still holding the tune. Let's hope this is a good sign.
BTW my package is dated 2014 , not sure if that is a new batch or old stock.

I have them on my Famous FS-0 (Kiwaya's cheap brand) soprano. They sound great and feel great. No breaks yet. It's been at least 6 months, maybe a year.

Top Bottom