Need new bridge for my vintage Mele uke

Rick2016

Reaction score
Hi all- I have been on a search for a new bridge for my 1920's vintage Mele uke. I contacted a repair person in Vermont but he was unable to help. I was wondering if there was a maker on here familiar with this old instruments that might have one in the junk box or have the know how to construct one. and real help or leads will be appreciated. It's all that is stopping me from getting this old instrument up and playing!

Just have to reply to your own post with a "bump" in the message box when people stop replying to your post and itwill pop back up to the most recent post on the forum instead of doing a repeat posting.

Have you contacted Mele to see if they have any suggestions? Either a replacement or at least the material and specifications of the bridge for someone else to build for you?

Bridges are pretty easy to make for a luthier with any kind of chops. If they have the original to copy it drops into the trivial category. If you don't have the original, a couple historical photos and one measurement off the soundboard of the uke itself should be all a competent builder would need.

I guess I'm saying that you could contact one of the many builders and ask them. My shop is inoperative for a few months or I'd offer myself. The only builder I know personally is Toni Maloon in San Francisco. I can't speak for her, but you could drop her a line.

Try Jake Wildwood at antebelluminstruments.com

:agree:

If I could not hack my own parts for such a project, Jake Wildwood would be my first choice, especially having seen all the vintage instruments that he has resurrected to good working order on his web site over the years.

Top Bottom