Check out these 10 new beautiful ukes for camp!

Bob Bledsoe

Reaction score
These Ohana concert ukuleles just arrived and they are fantastic!

As some of you know I volunteer at Camp Del Corazon for a couple weeks every summer. I'm a counselor there but also run the music program - which basically means I teach kids how to play ukulele. This is a camp on Catalina Island for kids age 7-17 with heart disease.

A few years ago, Mim hooked us up with a GREAT deal on about 12 Ohana soprano ukes. This year I wanted to add some concert sizes. I expected that we would be able to buy 3 or 4 with the money we had to spend. But Mim is a ukulele super hero - she contacted Ohana and they had 7 blemished ukes they would sell us for super cheap. But then they put 3 additional non-blem ukuleles in the shipment so we would have a total of 10!

I've been able to locate two very minor blemishes out of 10 ukuleles. They are all beautiful and they sound awesome, as one can expect from Ohana.

Thank you Mim and thank you Ohana! The kids are gonna love these!
20160313_144237.jpg

Very cool. And really pretty. If you could rack them in a pretty display when your students first come in, I'll bet it would give them a thrill that would stick with them for a long time.

Very cool. And really pretty. If you could rack them in a pretty display when your students first come in, I'll bet it would give them a thrill that would stick with them for a long time.

I wish! As it is, they start out in a big cardboard box under a palm tree. This year there will be two big cardboard boxes under a palm tree.... Unless I can figure out how to rig a palm tree mounted ukulele display ;-)

Really great story. A big high five and thank you to Bob, Mim and Ohana for doing great things for kids with health issues. That truly is a feel good piece of news.

Thanks guys! It is for sure a feel good thing to help out with these kids - but if I'm being honest, it also feels good to spend 10 days on an island snorkeling, rock climbing, kayaking, singing & dancing, and generally having more fun than I deserve to have ;-)

Thanks guys! It is for sure a feel good thing to help out with these kids - but if I'm being honest, it also feels good to spend 10 days on an island snorkeling, rock climbing, kayaking, singing & dancing, and generally having more fun than I deserve to have ;-)

I wanna go! ;)

Sigh...

That sounds like too much fun!

Those ukes are going to be having more fun than me that week! :)

What a great thing you and Mim and Ohana are doing, and I hope I'm on not going to ruffle any feathers with this, but on the same lines and giving everybody a chance to give ukuleles to ill children, the group to which I belong, The CC Strummers, recently discovered a charity group out of Florida called The Ukulele Kids Club, started by Corey Bergman, which donates ukuleles to hospital music therapy programs. We donated $200 and Corey was so grateful, he's arranging for us to make the presentation of five ukes to the UCLA/Mattel Children's Wing here in Los Angeles and do a performance for them. For a ukulele player, I find it one of the most gratifying donations I've made in a long time.

https://theukc.org

Last edited:
What a great thing you and Mim and Ohana are doing, and I hope I'm on not going to ruffle any feathers with this, but on the same lines and giving everybody a chance to give ukuleles to ill children, the group to which I belong, The CC Strummers, recently discovered a charity group out of Florida called The Ukulele Kids club, started by Corey Bergman, which donates ukuleles to hospital music therapy programs. We donated $200 and Corey was so grateful, he's arranging for us to make the presentation of five ukes to the UCLA/Mattel Children's Wing here in Los Angeles and do a performance for them. For a ukulele player, I find it one of the most gratifying donations I've made in a long time.

https://theukc.org

That sounds like a great organisation! And a fun way to donate the ukes. Let me know when you guys do your performance and I'll come out to watch. Im not far from UCLA.

Sounds awesome in all respects! Awesome of you to host/participate in an event like this, awesome of Mim to be the matchmaker, and awesome of Ohana to give you an amazing deal + free instruments. :)

I would start figuring out how to lash a uke holder out of rope and spars, adapted from a tool rack design.

Paracord uke hangers! They don't look too complicated: http://www.ukulelehangers.com/paracord_ukulele_hangers.php

Great idea you two! A combination of both would be prefect! The tool rack link didnt navigate to the page but I found it here:
https://scoutpioneering.com/2012/12/29/tool-rack/

Thanks for the great display ideas!

Mim is a ukulele super hero - she contacted Ohana and they had 7 blemished ukes they would sell us for super cheap. But then they put 3 additional non-blem ukuleles in the shipment so we would have a total of 10!

I've been able to locate two very minor blemishes out of 10 ukuleles. They are all beautiful and they sound awesome, as one can expect from Ohana.

Thank you Mim and thank you Ohana! The kids are gonna love these!
View attachment 89259

Wow, that's really fantastic of Ohana and Mim to pull through for you like that! Catalina is a great place for outdoor fun and island adventures. The kids must love it! Be sure to keep us updated when camp comes around with pics too!

Kudos to you and to Mim and to Ohana Ukuleles for doing this.
Those kids will never, ever forget this experience!

Those ukuleles look sweet, and I'm sure the kids will love them. The folks at Ohana are awesome and so are their ukes!
Oh yeah, Mim's pretty great too! :shaka:

Top Bottom