Aquila New Nylgut - some impressions and questions (Super Nylgut compared)

Pier

Reaction score
let me just edit this topic :D

as I said before editing, I'm in a "string trial", that by far is limited to Aquila NG, Aquila SNG and D'Addario EJ99SC (fluorocarbon).

where's the point in editing? last week I "discovered" that the Super Nylgut were too "dark" for my taste, and "darkened" a lot in a small amount of time. for example, the G lost it's bite and was drowned by the other strings, the C became to "howly", and the A string just mellowed too much.
for a bright and "dry" ukulele maybe they are the right choice, but for a mahogany "vintage styled" uke like the Ohana SK38 they are not the best match. however, they did the same on my cheap Arrow uke.

so I switched to fluorocarbons, and the Ohana sounded great, full of mids, but a bit dry on the basses, and retrying it's stock New Nylgut I liked the crispy attack with round basses.
I moved the D'Addario to the Arrow, and it was an improvement in the overall sound.

however, one day I decided to switch the strings, because I haven't tried the NG on the Arrow yet, and WOW! now I understand why everyone says that New Nylgut strings are the best match for cheap ukuleles :p the sound improved in the frequency range, adding some basses, but mantaining the crispness.

the curious thing is that, retrying them, I liked the D'Addario better on the Ohana. they are easier to play on this uke, in particular for the fact that it has a narrow neck and narrow string spacing: with Aquilas, which are big in gauge, the string spacing narrowed too much, and it became difficult to play with a clean fingerpicking (for my fingers, obviously). the Arrow has a wider neck and string spacing, and in this case the smaller D'Addarios widened the spacing.

also, the sound is more balanced and clear, contrary to the Aquilas that howled a bit much with some chords (thing that doesn't happen with the cheap laminate uke).

I'm really glad I found the best match for both ukes... by far! :rofl:

probably I won't try other fluorocarbon strings, because I understood (listening to videos and samples) that probably they sound almost the same brand to brand, it's only a matter of gauges/tensions, and I like the D'Addario's gauge and perfect intonation, so I won't risk my money on other fluorocarbon strings.

guess I'll try, someday, the Aquila Red, but they seem to be too bright for my tastes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom