Moore Bettah auction just closed. Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flailingfingers

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
New MB uke up for auction on the Ukulele site just sold for $12,000. Bid went from about $6,500 to $12,000 in just about one minute at the end. Way to go Chuck!.... and congrats to the new owner!

Last edited:
I was also shocked at the closing price. But I am so happy for Chuck. It is an awesome ukulele!

So, how do these auctions on the Ukulele site work? Do they split the sale 50/50 with the builder? Do they "buy" it from the builder at normal price and then run the auctions as a different way to sell higher demand items?

Does any of the "additional" cost go to charity?

The 100th Anniversary one also went for a huge "markup"

I wasn't around to watch this one, but the comment that it jumped at the last minute from $6500 to $12K, and seeing that the winner is listed as "None", compels me to ask if this was another sabatoged auction? I hope not.

ETA: Or maybe I just misread the comment, and it had a bunch of bids at the last minute that ran the price up that high? If so, that would have been a fun action to watch.

Last edited:
I wasn't around to watch this one, but the comment that it jumped at the last minute from $6500 to $12K, and seeing that the winner is listed as "None", compels me to ask if this was another sabatoged auction? I hope not.

ETA: Or maybe I just misread the comment, and it had a bunch of bids at the last minute that ran the price up that high? If so, that would have been a fun action to watch.
There were only 2 bidders in the end. One bidder would up the bid by the minimum $50 while the bidder who "won" made some major leaps in the bid. Like you, I am concerned about that leap in the bidding and the fact that the auction site now lists the winner as "none."

So, how do these auctions on the Ukulele site work? Do they split the sale 50/50 with the builder? Do they "buy" it from the builder at normal price and then run the auctions as a different way to sell higher demand items?

Does any of the "additional" cost go to charity?

The 100th Anniversary one also went for a huge "markup"

I am pretty sure the only way to get an answer is to ask Chuck or Andrew directly in a private message...I know for sure no one on the UU has any idea....:)

Congrats to the new MB owner and high bidder...I hear the auction was for real and the person did pay 12K....:) sorry no second auction on this MB....:) I don't think he is a UU member...but Congrats again!!

As far as how the cost and profit are split up and negotiated, unless you are/were a bidder in the auctions I don't see why you would feel a right to that knowledge..... Like was said previously especially in a public post.
Even so Andrew or Chuck should not feel any obligation to answer these questions I feel like. I haven't dealt with any dealers and makers that will out right tell you cost/dealer price/profit margin etc.
HMS is a business, and so is Moore Bettah Ukes.
They are great guys however so I am sure they have some great deal worked out.

These are just my opinions obviously

if you click on "bid history" you'll see that the winning bidder was "JW".

Appears it is just showing "none" on the summary page due likely to some coding error.

Wow, the ability to ask a question here on UU has totally gone downhill!

Holy smokes!

Nah mostly just inflated opinions. Its an internet thing not a symptom of this forum in particular.

~peace~

Since these auctions are brought up here frequently, and occasionally quasi advertised by well-meaning members, I see nothing wrong with Zapp asking about how they work. Perfectly normal question.

Since these auctions are brought up here frequently, and occasionally quasi advertised by well-meaning members, I see nothing wrong with Zapp asking about how they work. Perfectly normal question.

yeah you are correct and he can ask questions...but Andrew and Chuck do not have to answer....
if you really want the answers you got to ask them directly....

True. I mean, I agree that it's probably not the kind of question businesses are likely to answer in public, for all sorts of reasons, and I don't feel we need to know either, but I understand where the question came from. At some point I had wondered if they were charity auctions (or had a charity component), and Andrew talked some about that when the Kamaka auction was up (how the owner intended to split the amount with the inlay artist etc). I thought that was insightful. I like how Andrew does business.

True. I mean, I agree that it's probably not the kind of question businesses are likely to answer in public, for all sorts of reasons, and I don't feel we need to know either, but I understand where the question came from. At some point I had wondered if they were charity auctions (or had a charity component), and Andrew talked some about that when the Kamaka auction was up (how the owner intended to split the amount with the inlay artist etc). I thought that was insightful. I like how Andrew does business.

again why don't you ask them directly? I don't understand what good it will do to bring it up here....we don't have the answers.....and since you know how Andrew does business then ask him directly then report it to the UU if that is what you want to do....

just saying seems like a strange question to me...but I have been wrong many times....:)

Certain things are personal business information and im sure we are not privileged to know..
Its like if i ask you on a public forum, how much you make a year and how much you donate to charities. .would you answer?
I dare you ask Ryan that about UU Forums LOL :)

I guess its so hard to understand that someone might ask because they are more inclined to support an auction for a charity or knowing what it is all about.

Of course I dont think the builder or seller needs any minions to come to the rescue of their business matters.

Perhaps the word rude is being confused with righteous when others perceive another persons privacy being questioned.

Too funny. I need to get the hell off this site for a bit and play my ukulele.

~aldente~

again why don't you ask them directly?

I would, if the answer interested me. :) It doesn't, but I don't assume that everyone else shares or rejects my interests, so I don't have an issue with people asking about it. Differently put, I feel that it's none of my business how Chuck or Andrew handle these auctions, even though I would find details insightful, and I equally feel it's none of my business what questions other forum members ask. Same thing, to me.

I guess its so hard to understand that someone might ask because they are more inclined to support an auction for a charity or knowing what it is all about.

Of course I dont think the builder or seller needs any minions to come to the rescue of their business matters.

Perhaps the word rude is being confused with righteous when others perceive another persons privacy being questioned.

Too funny. I need to get the hell off this site for a bit and play my ukulele.

~aldente~
Kinda Weak Huh?I don't know if it deserves a response, you use the words rude and perceive, who mentioned an auction for charity, (perceived), you had it right the first time, DARN (RUDE) :).. LOL creative tho, Aldente

Last edited:
I find this discussion really interesting. I *think* I was the underbidder in this auction, so I was pretty heavily invested, and I can honestly say that never once did it come into my mind how the sale price would be split between HMS and Chuck. Now that this issue's been raised, I'd say it's simply not something I need to know about. From my relatively limited dealings with both Andrew and Chuck, they are both stand up A1 guys, but they're also in business and hopefully remain so successfully for the long term so they can keep doing what they're doing. Maybe I lack curiosity, but my daily life is full of business dealings and so I find ukes a way to escape that and just focus on the art, the creativity and the music that my limited skills allow me to make.

I sure am sad to miss out on that uke though.....!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom