Using your phone like a pitch pipe (On-the-go tuning)

kissing

Reaction score
Let's say you're out with your ukulele for a bit of a play... and you realise that you don't have a tuner nor any other sources of sound for tuning :eek:

Well I don't know whether this is already an old idea (I'm kinda new here), but it just occured to me how easy it is to just create simple midi files playing a single note and transfer that to your phone. So it's kinda like using your phone like a digital pitch pipe ;)

Here are the midis I quickly created to tune my soprano uke:

A
E
C
G

Feel free to download and transfer to your mobile phone :)

Last edited:
Back in the olden tymes, when phones still had dial tones, you could simply use that to get an A (and an F too, for that matter).

:eek:ld:

JJ

In the UK, when you dialed an unrecognised number, you used to get an 'A', now you get some person saying "The number you have dialed has not been recognised"

I suppose if there are any cheerleaders around, you could shout, "Gimme an A" and I'm sure they will oblige.

Last edited:
I suppose if there are any cheerleaders around, you could shout, "Gimme an A" and I'm sure they will oblige.

actually, it would be the other way around. the cheerleader would give the request, and depending on the "intensity" of her request, the predominantly male spectatorship would more than willingly oblige... once their jaws are picked up off the ground.

back to phone tuning... which number on the keypad give you the "touch-tone" A? i remember back in the day, i would screw arround with the phone and make tunes... try this if you have a touchtone phone...

3-9-9-9-6-3-9

you'll hear the opening to "pop-eye the sailor" theme song.

In Canada, you shout out, "Gimme an eh..." and the crowd will shout back, "Eh?"

You get a bunch of Canadian ukers together and you get a conversation like this...
What key's that song in, eh?
That's right.
I said what key's that song in, eh?
I said that's right.
That's right, eh?
Yes, A.
Eh? Eh, what?
A major.
Major? Major what?
The key.
What key?
A.
I said, what key, eh!
And I told you. A.
And what key is that, eh?
That's right. A.
Grrrr...

Now that's just terrific.

I just spent the whole afternoon blowing on my cell phone which is now dripping wet. Can't rely on a topic title to be at face value anymore these days.

on my phone, there is a guitar tuner that i can download and it uses my fones mic...:D but it costs like $20

Top Bottom