Sopranino question

whistleman123

Reaction score
Can a sopranino be set up with low g or is the scale too short? I'm thinking of getting one to stuff in my carry-on bag when I fly.

I'd say no. Low G on a soprano doesn't really work, the string is too thick to ring out properly. It would need to be even thicker, and thus work worse, on a smaller scale.

Try it if you feel you want to at most you wasted a few dollars.

Most sopraninos are tuned higher than a standard ukulele. I might have read there are strings that let you tune to C.

Sure it CAN be done. However, such a small body will probably not have enough resonance for the lowest notes. There's always the Romero Creations XS, though, which has the size of a Sopranino, but full Soprano scale length, and it comes standard with low G.

Mine is Low G!

I use a wound, if you try an unwound it is too wide for the slot.

It plays great and I love it!!! So yes, go for it! You have nothing to lose!!!

My Sopranino is Low G
My Sopraninisimo is High G.

I got the best of both worlds!

Maybe I will make a little vid for you sometime.

PS My other advice...

A wound Low G does not need a different nut width (usually). You can buy a single Aquila Low G wound. Put it on your sopranino. Tune it up. Play it. If you dont like it, you are out a couple bucks and you throw the High G back on the uke and go back on your merry High G playing way :) If you love it, congrats, your sopranino is Low G!

Whistleman, I just posted an "as new" Romero Creations XS Soprano for sale in the marketplace.

Mitch

Top Bottom