Soprano sustain question

pluck

Reaction score
I've noticed on my soprano that at lower fret positions my E string has better sustain then my A string but at higher fret positions my A string has better sustain than my E string. Is this common among sopranos? I am using flourocarbon strings if that makes a difference.

This seems to suggest that there is an ideal string length to diameter ratio as it relates to sustain - but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

To some degree, especially at 1:35 in this video from a few days ago, Gordon speaks to your question.

I'm sorry that, although I own a boatload of sopranos, pluck, I'm too thick to find such variability in sustain. A more nuanced player surely can answer better than I. The best to answer it: you if you can get your mitts on another soprano for comparison. ;)

Last edited:
Hey cool. I saw that video which is what got me considering sustain. From what I remember, he said that with all other things being equal thinner strings have better sustain. I think this is a fine justification for using fluorocarbons. However, if you set aside string density and thickness considerations and look at string length as a variable then it begins to get complicated.

Hi, pluck. As noted, I have been busy, but did return to this thread--as promised--just to see if you had posted a sound sample. None found, so I assume you have it figured out.

Peace, friend.

I think it is build. My Brueko has the best overall sustain of all my sopranos, but my countertop material OXK has decent sustain, too, because of how it is built.

Thanks, coolkayaker1. The more I looked at it the more complicated it got. I won't go into all the details because it's very boring but string length and thickness don't seem to be the only factors involved. All the best. pluck.

Top Bottom