Pono UL4

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
https://vimeo.com/theukulelesite/videos/search:ul4/

Since Rakelele posted this video there has been a lot of interest for this new instrument. So here is the story

Back in October I saw a video of Ponos new small size parlor guitar (six steel strings). I immediately got excited about the possibility of them putting on a baritone neck and 4 steel strings, perfect small size tenor guitar. The trouble for most of us uke players is that standard tenor guitars are just too big and the nut width is too narrow at an uncomfortable 1-1/8". I called Andrew with my thoughts. He told me his dad John had said the very same thing to him just the day before. Those guys are faster and smarter than me :p, dooh. The rest as they say is history.

Rakelele and I have been hounding them and it appears the first production run will be complete sometime in June. Andrew has a list for those that want one so I would contact him ASAP.

Here are some size comparisons to my Pono baritone. As you can see it is just like a slightly larger baritone uke but made and designed to handle 4 steel strings. Easy transition for us uke players that are dying for that steel string sound

...............................Baritone...........UL4
..overall length...........30-1/4"............33"
..body length.............13-3/4"............16"
..scale length.............20-14"..............22" approx.
..nut width..................1-3/8"..............1-3/8" yahoo it's the same
..lower bout width.......10".................11-1/4"
..upper bout width.......7-1/2".............7-3/4"
..lower bout depth........3-1/4".............3-7/8"
..upper bout depth.......2-3/4"..............3-1/4"

Attachments

• IMG_3629.jpg
    IMG_3629.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Just got word from John that deliveries will probably begin in July. Thanks for the specs Dave. I would like for them to have made the size just a little larger to differentiate it from most bari ukes out there. However, with steel strings and the body volume increase, it will no doubt be evident which one you're playing.

Not to hijack this thread, but on a related topic, Pono also has the UL-40SP, uku li'i 6 string guitars. (and some similar variations on this.... 10,20,30 with different woods or appointments.) These are small 6 string small parlor guitars, but with the same scale length 21.4. and size as these tenor guitars. Of course, you dont have that nice deep sound due to the smaller body, but looks interesting for those that want a smaller scale guitar, that is still high quality.

In many ways, my own story is entangled to Dave's. Sometime last year, we both got interested in steel stringed instruments (again), so we started to exchange our thoughts about our preferences and options for, essentially, a small tenor guitar or big baritone with specs appealing to ukulele players wanting to explore the sparkling sound of steel strings.

When I contacted John Kitakis of Pono Guitars & Ukuleles about a steel string version of their Baritone Nui and he asked me what I'd have in mind, I said that I would prefer the steel string version to be slightly smaller (plenty of regular sized tenor guitars out there), and more importantly, to have the same nut width as an ukulele, i.e. 1 3/8" (most tenor guitars have a narrower neck, making it hard to fret certain chords when tuned like a uke).

Next thing I know, Pono is producing a couple of prototypes with all the specs that Dave and I had wanted. To some extend, I guess, this will almost be a Dave & Rake custom model, LOL.

For someone who is musically challenged and cursed with negative manual dexterity, not to mention the arthritis that comes with "the golden years", these 4- stringed instruments have brought much joy to our lives. We spent decades trying to gain any semblance of musicality with several excellent full size guitars with not much to show, except for goose bumps when strumming a clear open e chord. Four years ago we tried a ukulele and got totally hooked. Now my wife and I look forward to our daily "jam sessions" with music books we have made up from songs with uke chords I've downloaded from the magic internet. We've never lost our love for the rich, deep sound of a full size guitar. Now we can look forward to a compromise instrument that, while obviously will not match the resonance of a 6 string, will bring us closer to the sounds of the 6 string instrument that we love. I wouldn't trade my favorite tenor and baritone ukes for anything but I am sure looking forward to getting my hands on a UL4-30.

Unfortunately for me, I would have preferred that they went with a steel string version of the Nui. I applaud what they are doing though and hope it does well for them. I prefer the longer tenor guitar scale length, and the larger body, but I do struggle with the narrow neck on my TG. Maybe they will eventually add a steel version of the Nui.

Thanks Dave & Rake for the information and your role in nudging this instrument towards creation. It sounds like an awesome "sweet spot" hybrid that offers the best of guitar and uke blended together.

Really looking forward to getting my hands on one.

Steel strings for a baritone have been around for years. South Coast Strings has its classical metal strings linear tuning. I have them on my Giannini baritone. I have a video of me playing it. Go on YouTube to Kim Jorgensen Let's Get Lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9urVUr0GPE

I have them DGBE. I've had them on a Kainilea K-1 tenor GCEA and they were great there.

Last edited:
Steel strings for a baritone have been around for years. South Coast Strings has its classical metal strings linear tuning. I have them on my Giannini baritone. I have a video of me playing it. Go on YouTube to Kim Jorgensen Let's Get Lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9urVUr0GPE

I have them DGBE. I've had them on a Kainilea K-1 tenor GCEA and they were great there.

This is not a baritone ukulele it is a smaller sized tenor guitar. It is bigger than any baritone uke, 3" longer in body length and wider and deeper make a big difference. It is also braced to handle acoustic guitar strings up to medium gauge which gives it a much more powerful sound.

I have a tenor uke strung with South Coast classic metal and I have tried them on a baritone. They are nice but it is no comparison, two very different animals. Classic metal string diameters are #1 string. 009 thru #4 string. 0235. Medium gauge acoustic guitar strings are #1 string . 013 thru #4 string. 036. I own a Blueridge tenor guitar it has a big sound because of those strings and the larger body. Sorry if it sounds like I am preaching but I don't want people to think putting SC classic metals on a baritone will give you the same sound because it won't. Close but no cigar :p

I have listened to your recordings before, they are very nice and I enjoy the sound. That Gianinni is awesome. Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
In many ways, my own story is entangled to Dave's. Sometime last year, we both got interested in steel stringed instruments (again), so we started to exchange our thoughts about our preferences and options for, essentially, a small tenor guitar or big baritone with specs appealing to ukulele players wanting to explore the sparkling sound of steel strings.

When I contacted John Kitakis of Pono Guitars & Ukuleles about a steel string version of their Baritone Nui and he asked me what I'd have in mind, I said that I would prefer the steel string version to be slightly smaller (plenty of regular sized tenor guitars out there), and more importantly, to have the same nut width as an ukulele, i.e. 1 3/8" (most tenor guitars have a narrower neck, making it hard to fret certain chords when tuned like a uke).

Next thing I know, Pono is producing a couple of prototypes with all the specs that Dave and I had wanted. To some extend, I guess, this will almost be a Dave & Rake custom model, LOL.

Very cool that you and Dave helped get this new instrument launched. Very very cool. Thanks. Can't wait to get mine!

Okay, thank you Down Up. How is the difference in finger stretches on the neck for people who can just make it work on a baritone? Say 2215? What would be a Dm with a D added on the first string. thanks

Okay, thank you Down Up. How is the difference in finger stretches on the neck for people who can just make it work on a baritone? Say 2215? What would be a Dm with a D added on the first string. thanks

Hey there Kimosabe, I added some stuff to my previous post that might help clarify a few things. But your question about finger stretch is a very good one.

For reference I own a Blueridge tenor guitar with a 23" scale length, a Pono baritone with a 20-1/4" scale length and a Gianinni baritone with 19" scale length. I have medium sized hands with fingers that are a bit on the shorter side. I play mostly tenor uke so the jump up to the Gianinni is almost seemless, the Pono I notice it a bit but no biggie. The stretch to the 23" Blueridge tenor guitar is very noticable if I am switching between instruments.

The UL4 will be approx 22", I believe it is 21.7" but not 100% sure. So there will be a jump in fret spacing but not as bad as a standard tenor guitar at 23"

Dave,
Quick question.
I always found Pono very heavy in weight. Any idea how much heavier this is in comparison to your cedar top Pono?

You just need to exercise more. Small little woman like you should do 100 overhead presses a day with your Pono tenor. Then squats and lunges with a tenor uke in each hand. :eek:

That is my my smart ass way of saying I have no idea Brenda, sorry. When I get mine you can just play it and see for yourself. I am guessing it would be at least 15% heavy because of the larger size

Last edited:
Dave,

I am having a hard time carrying all the Ukes I own at once.

Do you have any idea on how heavy it would be, in a case along with me carrying a 24 of beer, a bag of chips and my Pono Posse?

Thanks for this pertinent info.

I look forward to seeing your new Tenor Guitar with acoustic strings.

:cheers:
Dave,

I am having a hard time carrying all the Ukes I own at once.

Do you have any idea on how heavy it would be, in a case along with me carrying a 24 of beer, a bag of chips and my Pono Posse?

Thanks for this pertinent info.

I look forward to seeing your new Tenor Guitar with acoustic strings.

The total weight will depend on whether you are carrying a 24 of "Lite" beer or not

You just need to exercise more. Small little woman like you should do 100 overhead presses a day with your Pono tenor. Then squats and lunges with a tenor uke in each hand. :eek:

That is my my smart ass way of saying I have no idea Brenda, sorry. When I get mine you can just play it and see for yourself. I am guessing it would be at least 15% heavy because of the larger size

I will start my weight lift training tomorrow to get ready for this BIG boy! Any idea when will you get it?

Instead of Pono UL it should be Pono RD (RakeDave) haha! Very cool guys. Looking forward to your NUDs to see your reactions to having one in your hands. Cheers to John at Pono too.

Top Bottom