PDA

View Full Version : Talking Glue Yet Again: What's This?

sequoia
03-15-2016, 06:02 PM
Yet another boring post about glue and gluing. Hey I can't help it, I actually spend time in my life thinking about glue. Pathetic I know, but anyway I get an email advertisement from SMD about a new super-duper wonder glue. Has a great name: Glue All. Perfect. Glues everything to everything every time. I looked on their site and nowhere could I find exactly what this stuff is made of. Does anybody know? Is it basically "Weld-All" (which I don't like or use) or what? Why is SMD being coy? Could it be the Holy Grail of glues??? An acrylate hybrid with a polyvinyal acetate? Basically which means model airplane glue meets titebond in the perfect glue? I'm no glue chemist but I don't think that would work...

Michael Smith
03-15-2016, 08:04 PM
I would never entertain the use of any glue that didn't have a very long track record in instrument building. That way lies madness.

Timbuck
03-15-2016, 10:35 PM
It's marketing blurb is a bit vague .."Glue all is stronger than ever before"...Whats that supposed to mean :confused: this is the link
http://elmers.com/product/detail/e1322

taylordb
03-16-2016, 12:04 AM
The email I received was about a new glue from SMD called Bind-All, which is a new glue they have for binding. I have no experience with it. I didn't see where they are marketing it as an all purpose glue.
http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Glues_and_Adhesives/Glues/Binding_Glue/StewMac_Bind_ALL_Guitar_Binding_Glue.html?lac_guid =7938601a-d6ea-e511-9958-bc305bee17b9&utm_campaign=M1976&utm_medium=email&utm_source=NPA&utm_content=M1976_B_20160315

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
03-16-2016, 04:26 AM
It is (probably) just a re branded common plastic glue...as in, glue to glue plastic. .....basically just gel acetone.

Titchtheclown
03-16-2016, 08:55 AM
Usually a peek at the MSDS gives you an idea but this is ridiculous.
http://elmers.com/msds/keyword-search?s=Glue%20all

The stewmac product does not appear to have an MSDS!!!

ProfChris
03-16-2016, 02:05 PM
For the Elmer's:

Section 3 - COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
CAS Component Name Percent
9016-87-9 Isocyanic acid, polymethylenepolyphenylene ester 30-50
101-68-8 4,4'-Methylenediphenyl diisocyanate 30-50
108-90-7 Chlorobenzene <0.01

Some relative of CA?

Vespa Bob
03-16-2016, 02:49 PM
Sequoia, I think you meant to say Bind-All. That's the glue mentioned in the e-mail I received from SMD. They also don't list Elmer's Glue All in their glue list. The Bind All actually sounds interesting, maybe worth a try (on some scrap)!

Bob

sequoia
03-16-2016, 04:48 PM
My bad! Indeed it is "Bind-All" not "Glue-All". I blame my momentary mental lapse on too many glue fumes! I am not responsible!... Michael Smith makes a really good point about glues without a track record. I'm not sure if I would go insane if my glues failed down the line, but I certainly would be mad. I still think that CA glue is unproven because the history isn't that long. I use the stuff all the time but think; 30 years down the line who knows what the stuff is going to do. White chalky powder anyone. Oh well. Nothing is forever.

The stuff looks... white? See below for the application.

resoman
03-16-2016, 05:47 PM
On the CA glue, a while back John Calkin reminded me that for a pretty long time R/C model builders have been using CA glue to assemble the airplane structure. I did it myself a lifetime ago. The planes are under tremendous stress and manage to hold together. In fifty years, who knows but I'm betting it's still holding.

sequoia
03-16-2016, 06:52 PM
On the CA glue, a while back John Calkin reminded me that for a pretty long time R/C model builders have been using CA glue to assemble the airplane structure. I did it myself a lifetime ago. The planes are under tremendous stress and manage to hold together. In fifty years, who knows but I'm betting it's still holding.

I hear you Resoman, I would take 50 years. Hell who cares if your uke collapses like a cheap cardboard suitcase in 70 years, I'm dead. Contact my obnoxious great, great grand daughter and get a refund... Anyway I mostly use wood glue except when nothing but CA will do. The stuff continues to amaze me. However, your example is in the model airplane hobby where most gluing was like to like. It is this plastic to wood joint that gives me pause with CA. I guess if I had to say is that there is a potential for these glue joints to get brittle over the years. I think it is called oxydation.