Hard case for thin body uke

farmerjones

Reaction score
I recently got the Kala KA-SSTU, the thin soprano, which came with a nice gig bag from the fine folks at HMS. I don't mean to knock it -- as far as gig bags go, this one seems quite well padded. I've just never been comfortable using one.. I prefer the secure feeling of a hard shelled case.

I know it'll fit in a regular soprano case, but I'm afraid it'll wobble around as it's not quite thick enough. Also, then there is no real point in the 'travel' aspect of this uke. I'd like a thin bodied hard shell case for the uke.

Could I put it in the gig bag and then stuff that into a concert sized case maybe?

Any suggestions?

BTW, this is an amazing ukulele! I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a soprano size, even if you don't plan to travel with one. It has an amazingly full sound for it's size.

Foam is an excellent idea, and if I can't find exactly what I'm looking for, I may go that route. But it kinda defeats the purpose...

I would agree with Twibbly in using foam. You can buy a nice chunk of foam used in seat cushions at Joann Fabrics (or similar craft store) for cheap and then cut it to shape to fit perfectly in the case. I think that would work rather nice and keep your Kala protected. Or I may recommend using an old soft towel (or an old tee shirt). My soprano is just a touch on the smaller side (or my soprano case may be a touch bigger) so I have some play/wiggle room in mine as well. For around the house, I don't mind, but if I took it somewhere, I would use a hand towel or an old shirt.

I just wrap TShirts around my sopranos when in a concert case.

If I'm traveling, they are clean TShirts. :rolleyes:

I'm not lost! I'm right here! ;)

The Ohana case mentioned earlier might work, but since it's a custom fitted case it may not work for my uke.

You can try a violin case. For a concert Ukulele most 4/4 Violin cases fit rather well when you tweak a little the foam on the inside. If you want to go even more flat, you should look for cases for firearms.

Ps: love it when people start to doubt the sense of the question of the OP instead of answering it...

You can try a violin case. For a concert Ukulele most 4/4 Violin cases fit rather well when you tweak a little the foam on the inside. If you want to go even more flat, you should look for cases for firearms.

Ps: love it when people start to doubt the sense of the question of the OP instead of answering it...
I like it even better when I see a response to a six year old thread.

Reactions: CPG
Top Bottom