My first ordering mistake for strings

BB11

Reaction score
I was putting an order into Elderly for a few things, Humidifier, books, etc and needed a couple of dollars for free shipping. I ordered 2 sets of Kamaka strings, price was great, I did not notice they were concert and not Tenor, out of stock on Tenor. I have heard it is not a problem to use concert strings on a tenor, but I do not think there is any advantage, by the time they are tuned I do not think they would have less tension and I feel they will probably lose some tone.. any suggestions, I can send back but that would cost as much as one set of strings I believe.

Thanks, I ordered a set of hi and low G....just to try, a total newbie here
Thanks

I don't think there's any harm in using them, but there's probably no advantage. I use tenor strings on my Kamaka concert sometimes (and concert strings on my Kamaka soprano as well) as a means of getting more tension, volume and sustain, so I would venture a guess that the opposite might be true of using smaller scale strings on a tenor - less tension, volume and sustain?

If you send them back, I'd suggest trying something different than the stock Kamaka strings. People either love them or hate them (I'm not a fan) - they sound good for strumming but if you get into fingerstyle, you might find fluorocarbons preferable. I use Martin fluoros on mine; I also like Aquila Nylguts (the Aquilas sound especially good on my friend's Kamaka tenor - better than the Martins even).

You normally lose some volume and increase brightness when you do down in string gauge. You will find they have less tension under fingers which you might like.

Thanks janeray1940's, uke1950 and Dave, the cost was so low not worth sending back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom