PDA

View Full Version : My first ordering mistake for strings

BB11
03-17-2016, 07:03 AM
I was putting an order into Elderly for a few things, Humidifier, books, etc and needed a couple of dollars for free shipping. I ordered 2 sets of Kamaka strings, price was great, I did not notice they were concert and not Tenor, out of stock on Tenor. I have heard it is not a problem to use concert strings on a tenor, but I do not think there is any advantage, by the time they are tuned I do not think they would have less tension and I feel they will probably lose some tone.. any suggestions, I can send back but that would cost as much as one set of strings I believe.

Thanks, I ordered a set of hi and low G....just to try, a total newbie here
Thanks

janeray1940
03-17-2016, 07:15 AM
I don't think there's any harm in using them, but there's probably no advantage. I use tenor strings on my Kamaka concert sometimes (and concert strings on my Kamaka soprano as well) as a means of getting more tension, volume and sustain, so I would venture a guess that the opposite might be true of using smaller scale strings on a tenor - less tension, volume and sustain?

If you send them back, I'd suggest trying something different than the stock Kamaka strings. People either love them or hate them (I'm not a fan) - they sound good for strumming but if you get into fingerstyle, you might find fluorocarbons preferable. I use Martin fluoros on mine; I also like Aquila Nylguts (the Aquilas sound especially good on my friend's Kamaka tenor - better than the Martins even).

Croaky Keith
03-17-2016, 07:17 AM
Basically the difference between tenor & concert scale is just 2", so likely they will fit & play OK.

DownUpDave
03-17-2016, 07:31 AM
You normally lose some volume and increase brightness when you do down in string gauge. You will find they have less tension under fingers which you might like.

BB11
03-17-2016, 08:52 AM
Thanks janeray1940's, uke1950 and Dave, the cost was so low not worth sending back.