WTB Kiwaya KS-5

EmmaQ

Reaction score
Having been wanting one of these Kiwaya KS-5 ukes for some time now and I know there was one up for sale a couple of weeks ago, but I just didn't have the funds then. I do now.
Please let me know if you would like to sell yours. I'm definitely interested!
Thanks!

Thanks. Guess I'm still hoping for a used one to hold the costs down. I haven't heard one before and I'm hesitant to buy one at full price. My main players are concerts. Have also considered the Martin oxk but the weight is a turn off.

Although new, HMS has some in. At the very least they have a sample video so you can hear the tone.

Anyone bought from that seller on Amazon?

Normally, I would want to go with HMS or Mike for the setup, but I hear Kiwayas (and I guess that would include the Famous brand) are pretty much perfection right out of the box.

I'm really considering going the Amazon route if that's the case, and if UU generally considers this seller to be legitimate.

Are there any luthiers / music shops in your area that you would trust to do a proper set up if you buy from Amazon?
I guess if the seller has a return policy you could use some of the savings to get a local set up and still come out ahead.

but to answer your question directly, I use amazon a LOT but usually avoid it for any major purchases like an instrument. I don't know why, never had any bad experience but i just worry about knockoffs, no ongoing customer service, warranty/repair issues, etc.
Tough to put a price on those things...
Good luck

but to answer your question directly, I use amazon a LOT but usually avoid it for any major purchases like an instrument. I don't know why, never had any bad experience but i just worry about knockoffs, no ongoing customer service, warranty/repair issues, etc.
Tough to put a price on those things...
Good luck

Thanks for the input. Good points, and I agree. The only way I would buy off Amazon is if the consensus here is that Kiwaya/Famous are set up nicely from the factory (which I have heard a couple of times) AND the Amazon seller is generally considered to be reputable. I usually prefer paying a premium if it means I'll support a trusted and valued seller (HMS/UkeRepublic). On the other hand, if Kiwayas don't require the setup, then a hundred bucks is a steep premium.

**Sorry EmmaQ. I'm not trying to hijack your thread.**

I got my Famous FS-5 from Amazon (free shipping/Prime). No problems at all. Lovely low action on all 3 of my Famous ukes, so I feel like they're universally well set-up from the factory.
The FS-5 is by far the nicest of them though. I can't imagine the Kiwaya version at HMS/Uke Republic for $369 is that much different; I've never played the Kiwaya version though.

Thanks for the input. Good points, and I agree. The only way I would buy off Amazon is if the consensus here is that Kiwaya/Famous are set up nicely from the factory (which I have heard a couple of times) AND the Amazon seller is generally considered to be reputable. I usually prefer paying a premium if it means I'll support a trusted and valued seller (HMS/UkeRepublic). On the other hand, if Kiwayas don't require the setup, then a hundred bucks is a steep premium.

**Sorry EmmaQ. I'm not trying to hijack your thread.**

Top Bottom