Archtop guidance needed

whistleman123

Reaction score
My ukulele adiction is getting serious! I would like to upgrade to an archtop soprano. I cannot afford a DeAngelico or Jazz Box. Do I have any other more affordable options?

You could take the jump and build one... out of say a 2X4?

Like this little beauty in the luthers lounge. http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?114726-2x4-challenge&p=1802709#post1802709

Sounds great as well. It ramps up my UAS, MUS or outright LUST for an arch top soprano that's for sure.

I hope he doesn't mind me sharing his wonderful video.

Wow, that sounds really good. I'm surprised how good archtop ukuleles are sounding these days. In the past, I have been disappointed in their sound as being too thin, but that little soprano sounds great.

Kudos to John for his excellent work.

As for 2x4's, I have a poplar ukulele and it sounds a lot nicer than one would think.

John

I know you said that the D'Angelico is out of your price range... But It is a soprano scale, and it really is the bee's knees.

Kala makes a couple but they include electronics, if that matters.

Edit: Ooops, sorry, the Kala's are tenors.

I found the D'Angelico website and they sell in the US, if fact they are in New York and have dealers all over. But they don't show any ukes on their site. You should probably call and find out, but it doesn't look like they make them anymore.

John

Here's a suggestion, but I know there will be some dissension about it. I had a few tenor ukes and a bass uke made by Bruce Wei Arts in Vietnam. They came out really well, one is too quiet putting it nicely, but they are all built very well. I've seen archtop ukes from him on eBay.

For custom ukes he's not real expensive, my first solid mahogany tenor cost me $385 including $65 shipping (I've since sold it), the next, a gypsy jazz style, was $780 including $70 shipping (the quiet one), the next was a solid acacia koa glossy black mandolele (very nice, sounds good), $420 including $65 shipping, the last was a solid acacia koa bass uke for $480 including $70 shipping and it has a custom fretboard that becomes thumb rests around the sound hole (really nice). I'm actually considering having him make me another bass uke using one of his interesting designs, the sound hole is the Hawaiian islands. Solid curly maple, black binding, access panel on the back, glossy finish, $685 total.

It can take some time for him to finish, mine have been as short as 2 months and as long as 7 months.

Are there any US dealers? Online or brick & morter? Maybe I should just start saving up for one!

I got mine from Hawaii Music Supply. They are made in Japan, and don't seem to have a formal distribution network anywhere else. I would reach out to HMS and see what they might be able to do.

I contacted a local Eastman dealer about an EU80. Here is the reply I received:

Hi Dan, We sold our last EU80 uke, and I just received a message from Eastman that they are not making any more at this point. Thanks, Paul B

Well darn!!!

Concerning the d'angelico 'Guilietta' archtop ukuleles, made for Korg:
- They seem to be still available, but in Japan only
- Besides the first generation of 5 MU-models (costing 1100-3600 $) there seems to be a more modest 2nd generation of MU6-CPS-models (dot inlays, unbound fingerboard and pickguard, straight fingerboard end, silk screened logo, concert scale instead of soprano, but around 500-600 $), introduced in the summer of 2015. I think the latter are also pressed rather than carved, but I'm not so sure.

The Eastman Archtop Ukulele's are a suspended project. We do not have plans at this time to continue R&D on them.

Just a heads up. I own a good archtop. They are really cool but completely different from a regular roundhole. They are not nearly as loud and have a pretty muted sound. I suspect a soprano would be even more so. I really like my baritone archtop but am glad I have other types to play to get some volume. I plan on putting in a pickup when the new K&K comes out.

The Eastman was dropped, more than likely, because they couldn't get the volume and sound to produce like one would want.

Funny the soprano John built from a 2X4 is so loud you can hear it overpower his mic in many of his videos.

I need to stop looking at this thread before I own an arch top before the OP.

The Radiotone ones, made in Schönbach in the 1930s, are plenty loud though: tenor scale, carved tops, essentialy mini-versions of Gibson L-5s. They do require a slightly different technique, with a more 'hooked' or crooked right hand, so that floating bridge can really shine.

Top Bottom