Fret board stickers and note map

Tulla Cork

Reaction score
These two resources helped me get a jump start on learning the ukulele, so I figured I'd share just in case there's anyone else who is a visual learner like me. :)

I got these super helpful (and easy to apply) stickers for my fret board so I could learn all the note placements:
http://www.catmusic99.co.uk/product/fretnotes_ukulele

and I utilized this fret map so I could figure out where the notes went on a piece of sheet music :)
http://www.rainbowmusic.com.au/product/ukulele-fretboard-notes-chart/

I know chords are a big thing with learning the ukulele, but to me it's a totally foreign concept in music not to learn all the specific notes first. Hope this helps someone! :cool:

The problem with fretboard stickers is IMHO that when you hold the uke "correctly" in a relaxed position you can't see the fretboard at all (unless you play in front of a mirror) - but well, I am admittedly one who prefers the classical guitar holding style (because for me it pays off in the long run with less pain in the left wrist)...

You might have found this thread useful as well for the map from fretboard to sheet music ;)

Anyway, whatever helps having fun with ukulele is a good thing so don't worry about my different opinion :D

I understand what you mean about holding the uke "correctly" keeping frets out of view.

But can you elaborate on the classical guitar holding style for a clueless noob?

I say go with what works for you - thanks for posting the links for others to share - that's the sort of thing that makes this community work. :)

oooh if would've known about the stickers & probably would've gone that route. Thanks for sharing!

I'm visual, too and didn't have time to mapout fretboard so I found this guy on youtube Fretboardtoolbox YouTube channel then realized he had a book/e-book available! (i ordered the uke & guitar book)
He has other links on his site that are helpful, too ( jamtracks other instruments/Mando, guitar, etc. & Spotify links to songs categorized by Key!!)

http://www.fretboard-toolbox.com/soprano-concert-and-tenor-ukulele.html
Thanks for sharing & have fun!

I understand what you mean about holding the uke "correctly" keeping frets out of view.

But can you elaborate on the classical guitar holding style for a clueless noob?

For one thing, the neck is more upright -- closer to your head so you can better see what your fingers are doing on the fretboard. I find myself automatically adopting this position as it helps me (I'm a uke newbie) better learn chord shapes and fingerings (however, I don't use a step stool ;).

More info: http://classicalguitar101.org/hold-a-classical-guitar.html#.VuxXpBhakt8

It's basically two general rules:
(1) headstock roughly at shoulder height, neck pointing upwards (could easily be 45° upwards, in any case clearly away from horizontal)
(2) left thumb stays behind/below the neck (neck never rests between thumb and index finger as this easily results in cramped fingers)

This will automatically result in a more or less vertical position of the ukulele (i.e. the soundboard is vertical, the neck still points upwards in an angle) making it hard to see the fretboard. BTW that's why side markers are useful....

Using a step stool is for sure overkill as the uke is way smaller and lighter than a classical guitar where you need some additional support. Nevertheless you should sit relaxed and upright (IMHO).

Whether you want to use an additional strap or not is up to you and your instrument.

When my daughter was in school she took Spanish. In her first year workbook there was a bunch of stickers with Spanish words on them. She took those stickers and put them all over the house. On drawers, in cupboards, on shelves, on doors, with the Spanish names for everything from underwear to spoons, forks, and knives. Those stickers were there the whole time that she took high school Spanish. I think that after four years, she was good at reading stickers. Just throwing that out.

Top Bottom