Spruce?

Rllink

Reaction score
I've been looking at those thin travel ukes, particularly the Kala, but others as well. It seems that most of them are spruce tops. I wonder why that is?

maybe cuz spruce is loud, and it helps make up for the small volume?

Maybe because spruce tops are loud and really project well? That would help make up for the lack of interior volume in the instrument.

Spruce is juice.

Perhaps look at the Kala SLNG Spruce top ... they are very good value. And with HMS set up, sound great.

Last edited:
What they said...haven't played any but the Kala travel ukes, but the are LOUD and have fantastic tone balance.

I hade one (tenor) a few years back and let it go. Now I'm seriously considering buying another.

Source is juice.

Perhaps look at the Kala SLNG Spruce top ... they are very good value. And with HMS set up, sound great.

"Source is juice" :wtf: .............have you been into the sauce

I know that this isn't the answer you are looking for, but my guess is that they use solid spruce so it will crack when you take it anyplace that has extreme weather while on your trip. Nothing like walking off a plane in sub zero temperatures or driving through a desert to really "open up" a spruce top. And then there's rain, snow, and sleet.

And I will never understand the travel part behind a travel soprano.

John

On a more serious note, if are going to travel with it, you may want to find a thin ukulele that will withstand the rigors of travel. I have dropped one (padded gig bag) in a hotel parking lot and put a nice ding on the back of another trying to negotiate the ergonomic furniture arrangement in a room.

John

That's a good question on why the spruce travel ukes. It doesn't make much sense to me. Personally, travel uke means any decent sounding soprano made of laminate wood. As long as it sounds ok the cheaper the better. The Kohalas are my favorite cheapy painted laminate that sounds decent.

Top Bottom