No More Excuses Not To Practice

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Today I waved goodbye to a career in education that lasted 43 years. What lays ahead is full of uncertainties but I approach it with bemused confidence. It sort of feels like I'm about to take my first space walk.
Astronaut Hollis 3.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! Congratulations! That's one small step for uke, one giant leap for uke-kind! :)

Best wishes for a long and happy retirement!

Congratulations! Thanks for all those years in such an important field. I hope that music brings you much joy and fulfillment in this new chapter of your life.

Congratulations Hollis. Enjoy the walk.

There are lots of exciting days ahead.

Last edited:
Well done and well deserved Hollis. You can now embark on a new chapter, some new adventures and a whole lotta practice as you put it.

Enjoy your new life.......you made it out the other side.

Today I waved goodbye to a career in education that lasted 43 years. What lays ahead is full of uncertainties but I approach it with bemused confidence. It sort of feels like I'm about to take my first space walk.
View attachment 89479
It is hard to realize that you have been preparing for this event for most of your life, and now it is here. I remember when I retired, and I went in to see my financial advisor, who had been helping me save and get ready for it, and I asked him, "what now." And he said, "time quit worrying about the future and to start enjoying it." It still took me a little while to get comfortable with that. I mean, the future went from some abstract event, to reality one day. Anyway, enjoy your future, you earned it.

Last edited:
Awesome! Congratulations! That's one small step for uke, one giant leap for uke-kind! :

Very nice Steedy.

Congrats Hollis. Enjoy yourself. Enjoy your friends. Be a good friend and neighbor. If you do these thing's you won't find much boredom.

Congratulations!!!!! Life after teaching will be wonderful!!! Uke-on, my friend!!!!

Congrat! Go forth and make music.

Congratulations on your retirement, Hollis! Here's to many happy years of strumming ukes and doing whatever the heck you want. :)

Congrats but, believe me, you still find plenty of excuses not to practice. I play most days but I wouldn't always grace it with the term "practice". I've been retired 10 years, btw and am loving it. I even get paid to play sometimes. :)

Congo rats!

(I was just going to put congrats, but it insisted on more than 10 characters...)

Just add a smiley. You can even reply with just a smiley if it has a long enough handle and the colon at the beginning and end are characters too.

Congrats on your new endeavor. I retired a few years ago. I am finding I have plenty to do, but I am for the most part doing what I want to do. Have fun!

View attachment 89479

I am probably 6 months or so from joining you and I have a question...

Has this impending change in your lifestyle prompted you to buy more while you were still workng?

I only ask because I went 8 years with only 3 ukuleles (the last 2 I previously bought were 5 years ago). In the past 6 months I have purchased 6 more ukes and one more for my wife (even though she didn't ask for it). I have also bought a lot of road and mountain bike parts and I'm getting fitted for golf clubs next Wednesday.

John

What did you teach, Hollis? Congratulations on your new life.
I teach graphic design, and have at least 5 more years to go.

I am probably 6 months or so from joining you and I have a question...

Has this impending change in your lifestyle prompted you to buy more while you were still workng?

I only ask because I went 8 years with only 3 ukuleles (the last 2 I previously bought were 5 years ago). In the past 6 months I have purchased 6 more ukes and one more for my wife (even though she didn't ask for it). I have also bought a lot of road and mountain bike parts and I'm getting fitted for golf clubs next Wednesday.

John

John,
In answer to your first question, do bears s** in the woods?

I've bought a few in the last year but have sold on most. While I have/had the ability to do so I wanted to develop my ear/eye/fingers preferences so I could focus on a smallish but quality collection. I sort of look at them now as a group of friends that all have something valuable to say to me.

I think I can squeeze in a baritone to this group as officially I am on 5 months paid vacation. So this is like test marketing retirement.

What did you teach, Hollis? Congratulations on your new life.
I teach graphic design, and have at least 5 more years to go.

I taught graphic design students film production and photography at a local art college. It is now the Western Australian School of Art, Design and Media. During 20 years in the studio teaching I was ultimately promoted to administrative positions and then started up a multimedia production unit in 1991. My time in the studio with the young adults were my favourite. So much fun.

How wonderful for you that you have something you love to do in your retirement.

I teach communication studies and have another ten years to go before retirement.

Top Bottom