Looking to purchase second uke - help me choose one for outdoor seakayak trips

Brouk

Reaction score
Hello. I live in Maine. I am a new member here. I play Big Island Koa uke. However I also do camping trips almost every weekend. From Spring to Fall I mostly take sea kayaking trips to nearby islands. I would like to purchase a ukulele that would easily fit into the kayak hatch. That means soft shell gig bag and a soprano size, maybe concert.

One of my primary objectives is to make sure the intonation is good at least throughout the first half of the frets. Otherwise I'm open to just about anything.

I looked into the plastic ukes, even tried a few at a local music shop - not impressed with the intonation. Maybe the Outdoor Ukulele plays better?

Or maybe I could just get regular ukulele and treat it right. Perhaps laminated body would hold up better so occasional exposure to the moisture and elements. I would not intentionally expose it to rain or sun but it would have to be a bit more resilient than a normal quality ukulele.

Any responses and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I live near the beach and wanted a throw around 'get wet' uke.
After many reviews, I went with a Makala Waterman.
Although, the Bugsgear was my second choice.

MaineUke,
What didn't you like about the Makala Waterman, was it just a problem with intonation?

I ordered the purple variety, it is on the way. I have also ordered some sop/con PHD high g strings to put on it.
https://reverb.com/item/1901239-kala-mk-swf-pl-soprano-waterman-ukulele-in-purple

Last edited:
The chords were just not in tune on the waterman, or not good enough for my ears.

I guess I'll try the bugs gear if I don't get a better idea. ��

Try Guitar center for their house brand laminates Mitchell and keep it dry as you can. Nice sound inexpensive

A Risa stick of course! A small headphone amp or a small pocket amp in a sandwich bag and you are rocking out. http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=115&cp_id=11501&cs_id=1150102&p_id=611700&seq=1&format=2

Warning: The following video was found on YouTube. It is not my own so please keep this in mind while watching. Most is humorous but... a ukulele was harmed in this video. I believe it to be a fatality. (not as long as it reports a lot of dead blank screen at the end) The word expensive is subjective, the word respect is not.

~peace~

I like the super cheap Vorsen from American Music Supply. Mine was $20 shipped and the intonation is great. The tone quality though isn't great. However i much prefer the tone and playbility of the vorsen over the Waterman. I still have the same strings on and it has served well on camp outs and outdoor stuff in general.

Martin OXK , great uke . You could even use it as a paddle and then play a song on it , seems made for trips like these.

Last edited:
If I were you I'd go with an entry level laminate like kala, Luna or something under $110. I have a Luna solid cedar top and it must have fallen over one night and I stepped directly on the top while getting out of bed. It definitely cracked and still sounds decent lol. I'm sure a laminate would hold up just fine.

For your purpose, I'd get an Outdoor Ukulele or a Bugsgear one. I'd not even take a laminate to where it'll get wet frequently (or even occasionally).

Any uke that will fit in a "dry bag" should be okay.

Outdoor Ukulele just retooled their soprano options. They are available in bottle brown and bottle green at this time - other colors would reflect their earlier run.
I have their tenor - and I am normally a soprano person. It is not that big, apparently, as tenors go, so please consider that one as well. It sounds very nice and I enjoy playing it. It does great on my boat, too. Holds up well to heat, spray, and fish guts.
I case it- did have to purchase a soft case- and strap the cased uke to a boat handgrip using the backpack strap when underway so it does not blow out of the boat.

Attachments

• IMG_20150904_100654775_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150904_100654775_HDR.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20150904_111246299.jpg
    IMG_20150904_111246299.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 27
For your purpose, I'd get an Outdoor Ukulele or a Bugsgear one. I'd not even take a laminate to where it'll get wet frequently (or even occasionally).

I agree, Mivo.
I do not know why people are suggesting MaineUke get a laminate uke. A laminated uke has exposed wood on the inside.
That is why I went with plastic. I can take it in my kayak, canoe, or bring it to the beach and wash it off when I am done.

I haven't seen any opinions on the Aqualele, anybody played with them?

ETA: Nevermind, that's the Bugsgear you're all talking about.

Last edited:
One of the members of my group brought in a clear Kala Waterman last week. To my ear it doesn't have much projection or sustain, but it was in tune. A few days later, inspired by it, another member brought one in, but it would not stay in tune. I'm guessing the first thing to do is change the strings.

I have a Bugsgear concert aqualele, with a low G string and I love it. Plays well, sounds well, and feels well. Intonation seems pretty good. It lives in my van and I play it while waiting in car line at my sons' schools.

Top Bottom