String fit on Kamaka gold label soprano

fopianki

Reaction score
Hi folks, I just purchased a gold label Kamaka soprano uke and when I tried to put on a new set of Kamaka strings they won't fit in the bridge slots. All the slots are too narrow. I left it with a Kamaka dealer this past week and they tried to find strings that are thin enough to fit...no luck. They suggest I have. Luthier use gauged saws to widen the slots.
Anyone ever deal with this issue? If so, how did you solve it?
Thanks. fopianki

I put Martin 600's on my Gold Label Pineapple, bought used, as soon as it arrived. Don't recall any problems with compatibility.
Cheers,
R

Thanks...the Martin 600s are much thinner than the Kamakas. I ordered a set this afternoon. Not sure why my dealer wouldn't have checked them out since they are a Martin dealership...but I appreciate your help

The string slots on my Kamaka gold label were a little tight, even for Martin 600's. I have a very thin pocket ruler. I folded a piece of 800 grit sand paper, put the ruler inside, and gently sanded the sides of the slot until the string would slide in. My guess is that these slots were cut with a saw when the ululele was new and never adjusted for string gauges.

Thanks...I'm waiting for my strings to arrive...good to know if still too snug...Frank

The string slots on my Kamaka gold label were a little tight, even for Martin 600's. I have a very thin pocket ruler. I folded a piece of 800 grit sand paper, put the ruler inside, and gently sanded the sides of the slot until the string would slide in. My guess is that these slots were cut with a saw when the ululele was new and never adjusted for string gauges.

What a superb idea. #lifehack

If the original Kamaka strings are nylon, they should be thicker than the Martin M600 strings which are fluorocarbon.

However, if you are trying to use nylon strings in slots that were cut for the width of (any) thinner fluorocarbon strings, you will likely have this problem.

Also you might need to look at the nut slots as well.

You can easily use an emery board or diamond-grit metal nail file (which is what I do) to widen the slots the couple of thousandths of an inch to fit the 'other' strings....

Just go slow, especially with the nut slots, if you make them too wide, you will get buzzing on the open strings, and if you make your bridge slots too wide, you will have to tie some massive ugly knots to keep the string from slipping through the wide slit.

Hope this helps. :)

Top Bottom