What do I have?

I'm going to guess it is a solid mahogany soprano uke by Favilla. Age? No idea. How does it play?

Label also looks like it could be the source of the Aquila string logo.

I don't know if Tom Favilla is still alive, but you might run a search for him. He did tell me that the paper labels were very early, before they began head stamping rear then front, Favilla has always been the poor man's Martin. I have a Favilla soprano Wimbrola. You have a treasure. Does it have a case?

I have a couple. They have a bright voice of their own. Mine are a bit world weary, having obviously been made to earn their livings for many years. A fresh nut and saddle put them back to playing with almost no trouble. From having read the Favilla family history it seems their strong voice and longevity represent the family quite well.

There is information about the labels and dating on the "catfish" site I linked above.

Sa-WEET! Congrats! I'd like to be given a Favilla :)

I emailed Tom Favilla and he confirmed based on the label it was built between 1895 and 1910.

I will absolutely treasure it and play it every week.

Back from the shop and I am amazed with the tone.
Everyone that hears it can't believe that much sound is coming from that tiny little body.
The most common comment is that I must have something inside the uke to enhance the sound.
Truly wonderful.
I have a Lanikai std and a Córdoba barratone but this little guy has the richest voice by far.

Does your Marca Aquila have its original tuners? They had the coolest tuners, a tapered metal peg (as I described in the video on the first page as that is me and my uke). If yours doesn't I just saw a set on eBay.

It only had 1 of four so they were all replaced. Do the eBay tuners have the sleeves as well as the pegs?

Top Bottom